HALP! U of Denver/Lewis & Clark/San Diego/Arizona/Maryland??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Pick the best one for my life (recently edited for AZ since I apparently can't add):

U of Denver (CoA $75k w/ 3.0)
43%
Lewis & Clark (CoA $173 scholarship offer under review, no idea what, if any)
5%
Arizona (CoA $148k w/ 'good academic standing')
38%
U of San Diego (CoA $195k no word yet on a scholly)
10%
Maryland (CoA $198k)
5%

Total votes: 21

bakerka2

HALP! U of Denver/Lewis & Clark/San Diego/Arizona/Maryland??

Postby bakerka2 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Hey everyone... so I'm starting to freak out about deposits being due in a couple weeks! I have a bunch of options, as you can see from the subject line... I already ruled out a sixth, Loyola Marymount, as I couldn't bear LA. Also waiting to hear from ASU and UC Davis... waitlisted at Hastings, Wake Forest, and William & Mary.

Anyway, my primary concern is getting a job when I'm done and living somewhere cool (ie. not Tuscon or Baltimore, though other areas of those states are ok.) I've been living in Denver for a couple months, and I do like it here, and I got a good feeling about the school at ASD. Being from Michigan, I'm already missing the water, but 300 days of sunshine is a nice bonus.

I thought I had my choice down to DU and Lewis & Clark, but after reading about the economy out in Portland, I'm becoming a little concerned. I haven't heard much of anything positive about the job prospects for grads or even career services at L&C.

Then I start wondering if one of the other schools would be better. DU is the lowest ranked, though it doesn't seem to matter in the Denver metro area. San Diego would probably be cool, I haven't read much on the school, but something about CA makes me hesitate... And I haven't heard about a scholly yet, which I kind of thought I'd get... Loyola gave me $23k...

Oh, and while I'm unsure of what area to go into, I can say I have no interest in biglaw, or anything related to corporate/business. Leaning towards human rights (+international), enviro, criminal, and PI.

I guess I'd appreciate any insight. I'm pretty much at a loss right now. I don't want to end up on the streets, in a huge amount of debt + a shitty job, or living in a city I hate for years. Thanks guys, sorry I'm all over the place.

EDIT: I added Cost of Attendance to the poll, which is giving me a little more perspective, I think I can pretty much rule out Maryland and San Diego... Lewis & Clark said they'd let me know about a scholarship after April 15, so I have until May 2 to give them a deposit... I let them know my other offers.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I should consider Arizona more seriously. It wouldn't cost much more than DU, and it is ranked better. The scholarship stipulations are less of a risk. But I would rather practice in CO than AZ, or I'd love the PNW/norCal. I know they are very strong in the southwest market but does that just mean AZ, NM, and maybe NV and UT? (All places I'd rather not live, except maybe Phoenix.)
Last edited by bakerka2 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

foster85

Re: HALP! U of Denver/Lewis & Clark/San Diego/Arizona/Maryland??

Postby foster85 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:00 am

first, take a deep breath...

this is my first post on TLS and i decided to write mostly because I see a lot of myself in you...I've applied to a lot of the same schools you have, am not interested in BigLaw (leaning environmental), and have done a lot of research so I figured I'd give my 2 cents...

good choice on LA...I'm in california now and was tempted to apply to LA schools but decided not to because i simply did not want to live there...again, a perspective we share and perhaps this will apply to my comments on the other cities/schools. you don't want to go somewhere you can't picture living and working for 3+ years!

i was also accepted at denver but not offered money...i think denver as a city would be awesome but a T2 school at sticker is hard to justify unless you are really drawn there (i'm not sure if you were offered scholarships so my comments are going to be more general...if you got decent money offered then it is worth more consideration). also, there is plenty of competition from Boulder grads in CO

lewis and clark is a great school in a great city. if you're going environmental law i don't see anything wrong with this choice. any other area of interest and you should be more wary...as you mentioned the legal market is small in portland. still, L&C is the best school in the state (although not too far ahead of UofO). it will be rainy but very beautiful/green all around while still offering a mid-size city atmosphere

i also got into USD but again, no money...san diego is a beautiful area with awesome weather and is very different from LA...laid back culture through and through and a smaller city, albeit somewhat spread out...still, a slightly more superficial vibe than anything nor-cal. they have a good tax law program, however it doesn't sound like you're into this and the school is very expensive (and so is the COL)

I don't know much about arizona but i get the sense it is a very good school that would place well throughout the Southwest. my friend goes there and really enjoys it. i just couldn't bring myself to live in the desert and it sounds like you already miss the water...so maybe skip this one? again, really depends on the $$, or maybe this doesn't matter? the same goes for ASU

Maryland is a good school (including environmental specialty) but the law school is located in baltimore (unlike the main campus in college park) and you specifically say you don't want to live there....so skip this too unless the $$ is too tempting. and i don't blame you...baltimore seems like a depressing place to be for any amount of time although i've never been

I know davis well, i went there for undergrad. it is a nice, smaller city...very much a college town with a pretty active downtown area. the place is filled by either students or families...good weather, although very flat and far from anything very geographically interesting (sacramento is rather underwhelming) BUT it is not far from either skiing in Tahoe (absolutely beautiful place) or living it up in San Francisco (probably the best city on earth...i'm a little biased...i live in SF now)

I would really consider Hastings if you get in there just because San Francisco is such an amazing place although the sticker price for out of state is pretty much outrageous (50k/year!) and it doesn't really have campus per se and is in the one downtrodden/crime filled area of the city (the Tenderloin district). i have a couple friends who go here now and they like it and seem to make good connections in SF

don't bother with william and mary...it's in colonial williamsburg...you don't want to live there. i have no idea what wake forest is like, but you have other good options i wouldn't wait around to find out anything from them...

I hope this helps...maybe let us know what exactly your money situation is and more specific advice can be offered. in any case, good luck and know that wherever you go you can make it work as long as you put in the effort

foster85

Postby foster85 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:10 am

edit...i just saw your poll and that you got 20k from denver...im guessing from TLS stats that this means 20k/year...go for denver...if other schools offer you better money then consider them but if you don't really care where you live denver will be a beautiful place to be and the $ will go a long way towards making it affordable in the long run...once you get past the top 20 schools the rank doesn't really matter all that much...just anticipate living and working in the area in which you go to school for at least a little while after you graduate

bakerka2

Postby bakerka2 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks for the input! I edited my first post and added the Cost of Attendance for each school, which is giving me a better perspective, but now I have new things to think about. I don't know why I didn't realize before that Arizona wouldn't cost much more than Denver ($2000/year). I'd rather work in Colorado than Arizona, and while I know they're both regional schools, I'm wondering if Arizona would carry more weight in states west of the Midwest than Denver would. Denver is a bigger school though and they do have a pretty strong alumni base, both in CO (1/2 of all lawyers), and throughout the country.
Lewis & Clark is still in the running, and I'll have a better idea once I know about a scholarship. I'm not sure if it's mostly I would love living there, and the setting is ideal for me (both geography and student body). Career-wise I feel like it might be more of a gamble. Their animal rights program would be awesome, though I'm not sure how much paid work you can find in that. They also seem to have a ton of students going into public interest, which I'm not entirely sold on, but am definitely considering. Anyone know about scholarships at L&C for that or LRAP?
San Diego is out.
Maryland pretty much out too. I heard it's hard to get in-state there. I'd probs have no shot working in DC, and would rather not be in Baltimore for the rest of my life. I fell in love with Annapolis when my sister was at the Naval Academy, so I think that's partly why I applied. Having a house with a sailboat off your back porch would be pretty awesome, though I'm not a huge fan of east-coast mentality.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:46 pm

I'd attend Arizona. U Denver is just too weak in an already weak job market. UA may not carry much mobility, but your prospects for a good career are higher. Just work in Phoenix and vacation in Flagstaff. Flagstaff is as nice as the CO ski resorts, in my opinion.

bakerka2

Postby bakerka2 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:04 pm

Mick Haller wrote:I'd attend Arizona. U Denver is just too weak in an already weak job market. UA may not carry much mobility, but your prospects for a good career are higher. Just work in Phoenix and vacation in Flagstaff. Flagstaff is as nice as the CO ski resorts, in my opinion.

Man this sucks. My life would be so much easier if CU didn't reject me. I like CO so much better than AZ. Denver = Menver, Phoenix = old people. I currently live in Denver and it seems to be bouncing back economically pretty well (at least by comparison), what about AZ? Arizona also just seems so conservative... I'm from the Midwest and it seems like AZ is where everyone from the Republican party goes to die, and CO is where my friends move to get jobs and have fun. I'm kind of freaking out right now imagining choosing Tuscon over Denver for 3+ years.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:12 pm

I'd probably attend UA and try to come back to Denver then. I don't know that you'd have an advantage over DU people, but you'd probably be at least on equal footing. The whole point is to have good employment prospects SOMEWHERE... at least if you try and fail to get a Denver job out of UA you can go back to Arizona and exploit the alumni network. If you try and fail to get a Denver job out of DU, where do you go?

bakerka2

Postby bakerka2 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:28 pm

Mick Haller wrote:I'd probably attend UA and try to come back to Denver then. I don't know that you'd have an advantage over DU people, but you'd probably be at least on equal footing. The whole point is to have good employment prospects SOMEWHERE... at least if you try and fail to get a Denver job out of UA you can go back to Arizona and exploit the alumni network. If you try and fail to get a Denver job out of DU, where do you go?

What makes you say that AZ has a better chance of getting a job in its own market than DU has getting one its market? And wouldn't I be exploiting the alumni network in either situation? Something like half of lawyers in Denver are DU grads, seems like a good advantage. Just wondering... and is AZ's economy better than I thought it was?

bakerka2

Postby bakerka2 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:58 pm

What if I tried negotiating more $$ from DU?

bakerka2

Postby bakerka2 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:41 am

OMG I THINK I DID MY MATH WRONG FOR ARIZONA... This is why I'm becoming a lawyer, not an accountant... On my financial aid package they didn't factor me in as a non-resident... and also I just don't know what's wrong with me. But it'd cost me $148k total, unless I get residency, which I heard is difficult in AZ.

I'm an idiot. Sorry guys.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:49 am

If in your shoes I'd pick Denver, barring substantial aid from L&C. No reason to pay more for Arizona if you don't want to be in AZ. If you are happy in Denver go there. It is the cheapest and UD does well in Denver.

The difference between CU and Denver for Denver isn't huge, just know that you are probably confining yourself to that city and you should be prepared to hustle.

I am seriously considering L&C despite it being the 2nd lowest ranked I have been accepted. Career services has been very helpful and I was satisfied with the numbers that I received from them. Honestly the 2010 numbers were much better than I was expecting based on ITE. If I were to decide to go to L&C I wouldn't be worried about getting a job there. Then again I have no problems networking and working my contacts for an opportunity. I know this isn't everyone's strong set and I would say regardless of what school you choose this will be important.

If L&C comes through with a better offer and costs are the same, then I think it is a much better option than Denver is.

bakerka2

Postby bakerka2 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:30 pm

theavrock wrote:If in your shoes I'd pick Denver, barring substantial aid from L&C. No reason to pay more for Arizona if you don't want to be in AZ. If you are happy in Denver go there. It is the cheapest and UD does well in Denver.

The difference between CU and Denver for Denver isn't huge, just know that you are probably confining yourself to that city and you should be prepared to hustle.

I am seriously considering L&C despite it being the 2nd lowest ranked I have been accepted. Career services has been very helpful and I was satisfied with the numbers that I received from them. Honestly the 2010 numbers were much better than I was expecting based on ITE. If I were to decide to go to L&C I wouldn't be worried about getting a job there. Then again I have no problems networking and working my contacts for an opportunity. I know this isn't everyone's strong set and I would say regardless of what school you choose this will be important.

If L&C comes through with a better offer and costs are the same, then I think it is a much better option than Denver is.

I was starting to have similar feelings before I read this :) I had a good feeling about the prospects for DU grads when I was visiting. I'm not feeling as confident yet about L&C. I just spoke to a 1L there who didn't give me a very strong answer. She pretty much said that it's competitive everywhere and she's going to work hard and has good professors. And she knows some 3L's with jobs, some still looking. Maybe I'll get a better idea when I visit.

EDIT: Hey congrats on Emory. CU Boulder's admissions must be quite a strange group of people. You get waitlisted there... I'm rejected but I get waitlisted and in w/ $ to schools ranked higher. AND I was moving to Denver during the application process... This residency is totally going to waste...

bakerka2

Postby bakerka2 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:48 pm

Visited L&C on Monday and completely fell in love, even though it was raining the entire time haha... As much as I love Colorado and sunshine, I'm really hoping I hear about a scholarship soon to L&C because I really got a great feeling about the school and I think it's a better fit for me than DU. Didn't get much time to see the city, but it seems cool. Still haven't heard anything from ASU or Davis... just checked my status for Davis and it still says 'file complete- awaiting evaluation'... wtf.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”