(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

Duke (half scholarship)
16%
UChi (60k)
70%
UPenn (60k)
8%
NYU (Sticker)
6%

Total votes: 79

seaotter

Postby seaotter » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:16 pm

Last edited by seaotter on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FlightoftheEarls

Re: Duke vs. UPenn vs. Chicago vs. NYU

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:25 pm

For D.C., you'll need to be high in your class (typically top 25% or better) regardless of which of these schools you're at. Because of that, I think they're all fairly equal. For Chicago placement, Chicago will have an advantage over the others.

How much is a half tuition scholarship, as compared to a 60k scholarship at Chicago/Penn? I would imagine that's a total cost of attendance difference of only 10kish? You also mentioned that you want to clerk - in recent years, Penn and Duke have placed just as well as Chicago for AIII clerks, so I'd say that the scales there are fairly even. Even still, your preference for Chicago as your backup market to D.C. makes me lean towards Chicago.

seaotter

Postby seaotter » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:27 pm

Last edited by seaotter on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:46 pm

I'd go to Penn, but I think you should go to Chicago, it fits your goals better.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:56 pm

I'd say UChi, especially if you want that shot at DOJ or ADA. Penn is more BigLaw focused but at that level, there's not a ton of difference. At the price difference, I would say that Duke's not worth it

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:57 pm

UChi

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:58 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:For D.C., you'll need to be high in your class (typically top 25% or better) regardless of which of these schools you're at. Because of that, I think they're all fairly equal. For Chicago placement, Chicago will have an advantage over the others.

How much is a half tuition scholarship, as compared to a 60k scholarship at Chicago/Penn? I would imagine that's a total cost of attendance difference of only 10kish? You also mentioned that you want to clerk - in recent years, Penn and Duke have placed just as well as Chicago for AIII clerks, so I'd say that the scales there are fairly even. Even still, your preference for Chicago as your backup market to D.C. makes me lean towards Chicago.

This.

I think this is a question of Duke (more scholarship $, lower CoL) versus Chicago (better for your goals). Considering you want Chicago as a backup market, I think you take Chicago in this situation.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:12 pm

bk1 wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:For D.C., you'll need to be high in your class (typically top 25% or better) regardless of which of these schools you're at. Because of that, I think they're all fairly equal. For Chicago placement, Chicago will have an advantage over the others.

This.

I think this is a question of Duke (more scholarship $, lower CoL) versus Chicago (better for your goals). Considering you want Chicago as a backup market, I think you take Chicago in this situation.

Duke's cost difference is minor. Probably 15-25K. And UChicago has great DC, Chicago and NYC placement.

I think this is a no brainer, ENJOY THE RIGOR.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:18 pm

We only send a handful people of Chicago each year. I would consider the advantages and disadvantages to that. If clerking is in your future though, Chi is the better choice. As others have said, Penn is very firm oriented.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:02 pm

Veyron wrote:We only send a handful people of Chicago each year. I would consider the advantages and disadvantages to that. If clerking is in your future though, Chi is the better choice. As others have said, Penn is very firm oriented.

I don't know if you're giving Penn enough credit (wow, did I just type that to you?) for it's clerkship placement. I think each of these schools averages out in the 11-12% range over the past couple years, except for NYU (which comes in a tad lower).

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:09 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Veyron wrote:We only send a handful people of Chicago each year. I would consider the advantages and disadvantages to that. If clerking is in your future though, Chi is the better choice. As others have said, Penn is very firm oriented.

I don't know if you're giving Penn enough credit (wow, did I just type that to you?) for it's clerkship placement. I think each of these schools averages out in the 11-12% range over the past couple years, except for NYU (which comes in a tad lower).

Orly? I had no idea. I guess the new focus on increasing the # of clerkships is paying off then.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:11 pm

Chicago
Penn
Duke
NYU

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:37 pm

Veyron wrote:
Orly? I had no idea. I guess the new focus on increasing the # of clerkships is paying off then.

There is a SCOTUS clerk (Roberts) next year. Impressive stuff.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:08 am

Veyron wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:

Yup, but you certainly wouldn't know it on TLS. Here's the compilation I put together several weeks ago, and you've just inspired me to update it with the most recent data: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149333&p=4122116&hilit=best+chance#p4122116.

seaotter

Postby seaotter » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:08 am

Last edited by seaotter on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:09 am

seaotter wrote:Thanks everyone for the responses! The information about comparative clerkship placement rates between Duke, Penn, and Chicago is very interesting. It certainly looks like going to anyone of those schools would not hurt my chances for a federal clerkship (if I somehow manage to get into the top of my class).

Don't pick a school based on what will happen if you are at the top of the class. Pick a school where you'd feel most comfortable at median. Top of the class at all of these schools are going to have amazing opportunities. Personally, I think Chicago is the best for you on paper, but if you haven't visited the three (Duke/Chicago/Penn), you should.

seaotter

Postby seaotter » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:34 am

Last edited by seaotter on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:14 am

seaotter wrote:
keg411 wrote:
seaotter wrote:Thanks everyone for the responses! The information about comparative clerkship placement rates between Duke, Penn, and Chicago is very interesting. It certainly looks like going to anyone of those schools would not hurt my chances for a federal clerkship (if I somehow manage to get into the top of my class).

Don't pick a school based on what will happen if you are at the top of the class. Pick a school where you'd feel most comfortable at median. Top of the class at all of these schools are going to have amazing opportunities. Personally, I think Chicago is the best for you on paper, but if you haven't visited the three (Duke/Chicago/Penn), you should.

Yeah, that was what I was trying to say (just did it poorly). I am going to assume that I will not finish at the top of the class but rather somewhere around the middle, or perhaps even below the median. My point was that if I were to somehow get super lucky and do well, I would not be disadvantaged by picking Penn or Duke over Chicago.

I have visited Duke and it was very nice. Visiting Penn and Chicago next week. I think I will probably just go with whatever school seems like the best fit. Like everyone has said, they all are good options. Thanks again for the suggestions!

I agree with Keg's point here - the DC and clerkship options are all similar at the top of the class. At median with a backup market of Chicago, you should really love another school (or strongly dislike Chicago) to choose somewhere other than UofC.

shortporch

Postby shortporch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:42 pm

seaotter wrote:Not really interested in academia right now but I could see myself possibly wanting it a few years down the road.

The way you've described this factor means it should be absolutely irrelevant in your law school choice, for what it's worth.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”