American PT vs UTK vs Retake

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

AU PT/UTK/Retake

AU PT
20%
UTK
30%
Retake
50%

Total votes: 10

trotting

American PT vs UTK vs Retake

Postby trotting » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:19 pm

Edit.
Last edited by trotting on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Re: American PT vs UTK vs Retake

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:22 pm

Career goals?

Where do you want to work?

Total debt coming out of AU?

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:34 pm

I just went straight up retake, with your W/E you could probably make a dynamite PS and if you could get 166+ you would be a candidate for some good money, based on LSN. URichmond, W&M and maybe GW may all throw some money your way if you get in the high 160s, and at 170 you would be golden.

trotting

Postby trotting » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:57 pm

bk1 wrote:Career goals?

Where do you want to work?

Total debt coming out of AU?

For career: I'd like to focus on IP law or cyber security law. If that doesn't work out probably a state or federal postion. I'm not completely opposed to BigLaw, but from the schools I want to attend the chances would be minimal.

I'm not completely set on location. I have connections(personal or family, not professional) in several states: TN, PA, NC, NY, MA, so I would be fine living in fairly large cities in those states. I have limited professional contacts in NoVA/DC that could possibly help if I decided to work in DC.

Debt out of AU would be around 70-80k with my parents helping to pay off the loans after I've completed school.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:11 pm

trotting wrote:For career: I'd like to focus on IP law or cyber security law. If that doesn't work out probably a state or federal postion. I'm not completely opposed to BigLaw, but from the schools I want to attend the chances would be minimal.

I'm not completely set on location. I have connections(personal or family, not professional) in several states: TN, PA, NC, NY, MA, so I would be fine living in fairly large cities in those states. I have limited professional contacts in NoVA/DC that could possibly help if I decided to work in DC.

Debt out of AU would be around 70-80k with my parents helping to pay off the loans after I've completed school.

I think you need to decide where you want to work because the school range you are looking at is very regional.

If you are fine with DC then I don't think 70-80k debt for AU is that bad.

I'm not sure whether retaking is worth it. If you hit 168+ you might get GW-PT, 172+ and you might get GULC (PT/FT), or possibly UVa. If you are okay with working while going to school, I honestly think that GULC PT is probably your best bet, but there is no guarantee there.

That being said, I think AU-PT will be there next year plus you will have a year to save some money. But I would steel yourself for the very real possibility that you won't necessarily do enough better to snag a better school. It would be hard to justify you taking a non-DC regional school at sticker (it is unlikely for extreme splitters such as yourself to get scholarship money) considering your job in DC affords you a lot less debt if you go PT so, at least in my view, you are retaking for either a T14 or to try and get GW-PT.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:27 pm

trotting wrote:For career: I'd like to focus on IP law or cyber security law. If that doesn't work out probably a state or federal postion. I'm not completely opposed to BigLaw, but from the schools I want to attend the chances would be minimal.

normally I tell people to avoid AU like it is the plague. at 220k in sticker that place can be bad news. however, in your situation graduating with no debt would minimize that.

therefore, it just becomes a question of how much you want to improve your career prospects. If you're gunning for BigLaw then at American you're gunna have to hit the top 1/4. (my only hesitation saying that, however, is that BigLaw might be a little more flexible with you because you have TS clearance, which at least in DC is valuable).

you might have to work pretty hard to secure a decent job if you are below median at American. but again, I personally think your job prospects will be hard to predict with TS clearance..I'd wager that it'll give you a boost, but that could be totally false.

trotting

Postby trotting » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:26 am

Bump. Thanks for the input so far.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:37 am

I generally think American is a bad choice. If you think you can hit high low 170's GW PT with some money and with no extra COL would be a much better option for you. The TS will certainly be valuable when looking at federal positions as well. But if you can't hit low 170's i'm not sure there are going to be a lot better options for you with that GPA and in that case i'd tell you to go to American and network your ass off for a federal position as bigIPlaw is unlikely to happen out of American.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:21 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I generally think American is a bad choice. If you think you can hit high low 170's GW PT with some money and with no extra COL would be a much better option for you. The TS will certainly be valuable when looking at federal positions as well. But if you can't hit low 170's i'm not sure there are going to be a lot better options for you with that GPA and in that case i'd tell you to go to American and network your ass off for a federal position as bigIPlaw is unlikely to happen out of American.

GW doesn't tend to offer money to splitters so I think that's being overly optimistic, but other than that I agree with this.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”