UVA (full) v Penn (half) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA v Penn (please read first, thanks!)

UVA
68%
Penn
32%

Total votes: 155

HeavenWood

Gold

Re: UVA (full) v Penn (half)

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:12 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote: P.S. UVA really does suck compared to Penn (in ways that are so obvious that I shouldn't even have to say them)
As an incoming Penn student, I weep for you.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:13 pm

Patriot1208 wrote: I think we could work something out with my penis
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:14 pm

Boggs wrote:Gee guys, I don't think "don't listen to a self admitted vagina," "you are a fucking retard," "grow a penis," "go play with your wee wee," and "we are all dumber for having read your post," are direct enough statements. Why don't you guys say what you really think? When someone espouses values that differ from yours, you shouldn't go so easy on them.

In all seriousness to the folks who just had a coronary over what PleaseHelpThanks posted, step away from to computer and go back to anger management class. Recess is over. I don't agree with him, but your responses went far beyond mere disagreement (penis envy much paulinaporizkova?).
His crying proves his girlfriend made the correct choice. She deserves a man.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:16 pm

agatone wrote:Okay, after reading through the posts, I think I've come away with one major takeaway point:

Hobo-rape and heartbreak are all that await me at Penn.

Besides that though, I suppose it boils down to relationship v. 100k and the support tends to come for the latter side (unsurprisingly), given that UVA and Penn are essentially viewed as equals.

Some other things:
No pictures will be posted. Sorry.
I would not be miserable in Charlottesville and I would not be ecstatic in Philly.
Fortunately, no debt from UG. Parents would likely be able to chip in some to law school expenses, but I would really like to avoid that. My cousin went to Penn Law without any aid, was above average, and he managed to pay off his loans in a few years. He went to Texas though.
The story about my untimely demise mentioned median at Penn applying to D.C. being unsuccessful. If I were top 20-30%, would this still be an issue? And I don't think this implies that median at UVA is sufficient for D.C., does it?
Side note: I'm fairly non-confrontational, so the vitriolic discourse that pops up at times is a bit frightening :shock:

Thanks again for all the input. Will be one of many factors in making a decision.
UVA median is not good enough for DC as I understand it. Penn is probably only marginally worse for DC anyway. It's mostly a money thing. But I'm not an expert on UVA OCI. Where is Discobarred when we need him.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:19 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
:wink:

Also what are these extremely obvious advantages Penn has over virginia? PHilly is a shithole and placement is similar. Lay prestige is barely different because half of the population think Penn=Penn state. And those in the legal profession know they are of similar prestige.
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:19 pm

agatone wrote: The story about my untimely demise mentioned median at Penn applying to D.C. being unsuccessful. If I were top 20-30%, would this still be an issue? And I don't think this implies that median at UVA is sufficient for D.C., does it?
No, unfortunately it doesn't. Anything outside of top 25% at any non-HYS T14 for D.C. is going to be fighting an uphill battle trying to get to D.C. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it is a very difficult market to get.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:22 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
:wink:

Also what are these extremely obvious advantages Penn has over virginia? PHilly is a shithole and placement is similar. Lay prestige is barely different because half of the population think Penn=Penn state. And those in the legal profession know they are of similar prestige.
you know, that's really all i wanted to know in the first place. but apparently the advantages are so obvious that they'd be tainted if they were actually written out in a list form.

moopness

Bronze

Post by moopness » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:22 pm

How has this even gone 4 pages? Go to UVA /thread.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:22 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
agatone wrote: The story about my untimely demise mentioned median at Penn applying to D.C. being unsuccessful. If I were top 20-30%, would this still be an issue? And I don't think this implies that median at UVA is sufficient for D.C., does it?
No, unfortunately it doesn't. Anything outside of top 25% at any non-HYS T14 for D.C. is going to be fighting an uphill battle trying to get to D.C. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it is a very difficult market to get.
out of curiosity is that true ITE, or has that always been true?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:24 pm

Patriot1208 wrote: PHilly is a shithole and placement is similar.
I will respectfully disagree with the first half of your statement. :lol:

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:24 pm

Boggs wrote:Gee guys, I don't think "don't listen to a self admitted vagina," "you are a fucking retard," "grow a penis," "go play with your wee wee," and "we are all dumber for having read your post," are direct enough statements. Why don't you guys say what you really think? When someone espouses values that differ from yours, you shouldn't go so easy on them.

In all seriousness to the folks who just had a coronary over what PleaseHelpThanks posted, step away from to computer and go back to anger management class. Recess is over. I don't agree with him, but your responses went far beyond mere disagreement (penis envy much paulinaporizkova?).
You better shut your dirty mouth before I shut it for you.

PleaseHelpThanks

New

Post by PleaseHelpThanks » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:47 pm

splitmuch wrote:Wait so your 3 yr relationship ended because of law school so you think that he should base his law school decision on a girl? That makes no sense.

Seriously guys take the pussy off the pedestal. There are girls everywhere.
No douche, losing the girl I love has led me to a new believe about putting family first, and money second. If the OP feels inclined to marry this woman, and loves her a lot, then leaving her for a 100k when he is going to be Penn Law is just dumb. It seems to me that I'm the only one here not scared of a little debt, maybe I'm just confident in myself and know 100k won’t mean shit to me, especially compared to a lifetime of happiness with someone I love who is also making a shit load of money.

I’m not saying Penn 100%, although that would be my choice, but I am saying that love is not something you should take for granted, and money isn’t everything.

Also, when I say Penn wins big compared to UVA, I am refering to this:

1. Cool city vs Virginia
2. Better school/students
3. Somewhere different for OP (which is a good thing, esp when you just spent 4 years at UVA)
4. Fuck DC, you don't want to live there anyway, seriously.
5. A chance to stay with someone he loves, and might put a ring on.
6. Penn just sounds better to 90% of the people you tell that to(which actually does matter)
7. The cost really isn't a huge difference when you will probably be making 100k+

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:50 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote: Also, when I say Penn wins big compared to UVA, I am refering to this:

1. Cool city vs Virginia
3. Somewhere different for OP (which is a good thing, esp when you just spent 4 years at UVA)
6. Penn just sounds better to 90% of the people you tell that to(which actually does matter)
7. The cost really isn't a huge difference when you will probably be making 100k+
1) Subjective
2) Bullshit
3) Meh
4) Subjective
5) Is it worth 100k?
6) LOL at Penn having lay prestige
7) Paying 100k more for one peer school over another is just plain ridiculous

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Penn State has a good football team thoguh.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:52 pm

Wait, Penn is an Ivy?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:53 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Wait, Penn is an Ivy?
Penn State is a public ivy.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:54 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Does that mean you can sound cool to non-lawyers, the people who won't be making hiring decisions?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:56 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
PleaseHelpThanks wrote: Also, when I say Penn wins big compared to UVA, I am refering to this:

1. Cool city vs Virginia
1) Subjective
2) Bullshit
3) Meh
4) Subjective
5) Is it worth 100k?
6) LOL at Penn having lay prestige
7) Paying 100k more for one peer school over another is just plain ridiculous
Probably be making six figures? Have you seen the nlj stats? Also, philly sucks, at least a lot of people think so. Penn does not have lat prestige unless lay=only wall street bankers and law firms. Even if you do make six figures, are you are just going to wipe your ass with hundreds? And you can't actually make a case that Penn is significantly better than uva. Lastly, DC is fucking awesome and i'm positive the majority will agree that DC>>>>>>>>Philly
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:57 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Does that mean you can sound cool to non-lawyers, the people who won't be making hiring decisions?
Yeah, brah. They're the people that count.

cern

New

Post by cern » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:58 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

1. Cool city vs Virginia
1) Subjective
2) Bullshit subjective
3) Meh subjective
4) Subjective
5) Is it worth 100k? subjective
6) LOL at Penn having lay prestige k, yeah lol
7) Paying 100k more for one peer school over another is just plain ridiculous subjective
fixed

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:00 pm

cern wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

1. Cool city vs Virginia
1) Subjective
2) Bullshit subjective
3) Meh subjective
4) Subjective
5) Is it worth 100k? subjective
6) LOL at Penn having lay prestige k, yeah lol
7) Paying 100k more for one peer school over another is just plain ridiculous subjective
fixed
How many Nigerian princes have you financed over the course of your short life?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cern

New

Post by cern » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:18 pm

UVA sounds like a Nigerian prince email scheme.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:21 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:
1. Cool city vs Virginia
1. cool city (maybe, if you dig philly) vs cool campus
2. no, check the numbers fucktard
3. the connections/familiarity with the UVA campus could prove invaluable. maybe not, either way, subjective
4. you state NO reasons why this is a valid point
5. highly unlikely, but perhaps. anyway, you've proven already that you have no credibility in this area
6. no, that depends totally on where you are and what kind of person you're asking. if you want lay prestige, go to cornell, georgetown, notre dame, vanderbilt, or the state university of the state the person judging the school comes from
7. there are a lot of things i could think of putting $100,000(+interest payments) toward, and you are an entitled douche to downplay this amount of money so cavalierly (NPI)

HTH

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:25 pm

cern wrote:
UVA sounds like a Nigerian prince email scheme.
Jobs don't fall of of the sky at any law school (maybe Yale).

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:56 am

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:
splitmuch wrote:Wait so your 3 yr relationship ended because of law school so you think that he should base his law school decision on a girl? That makes no sense.

Seriously guys take the pussy off the pedestal. There are girls everywhere.
No douche, losing the girl I love has led me to a new believe about putting family first, and money second. If the OP feels inclined to marry this woman, and loves her a lot, then leaving her for a 100k when he is going to be Penn Law is just dumb. It seems to me that I'm the only one here not scared of a little debt, maybe I'm just confident in myself and know 100k won’t mean shit to me, especially compared to a lifetime of happiness with someone I love who is also making a shit load of money.

I’m not saying Penn 100%, although that would be my choice, but I am saying that love is not something you should take for granted, and money isn’t everything.

Also, when I say Penn wins big compared to UVA, I am refering to this:

1. Cool city vs Virginia

4. LOL at anyone rather living in Philly over DC.

6. Unless you are in Philadelphia, at Penn Law, sitting in the admissions office, this is certainly not true!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”