UVA (full) v Penn (half)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA v Penn (please read first, thanks!)

UVA
68%
Penn
32%

Total votes: 155

Veyron

Re: UVA (full) v Penn (half)

Postby Veyron » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:51 pm

Its not that D.C. firms like UVA grads any better, its that there are more alums in the market and OCI is probably more focused on DC instead of NYC there.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:55 pm

The one question reverberating through my mind is:

Is the woman worth the extra 60k in tuition?

If so, she'll be there after UVA. If not, then she wasn't worth it.

Either way, you saved 60k.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:04 pm

théo wrote:
agatone wrote:I'm looking to do IP law in the DC area after I graduate (sure about the DC, not about the IP), and my permanent residence is in the northern VA area. I was also UVA undergrad, so I've been in Charlottesville for a while. It's a nice town, but I think there's value in living in different places early in your life.

I agree.

Even without the SO considerations, I think Penn would be better just to get out of Virginia. If you continue at UVA, you will basically have stayed in one place for the entirety of your formative years, and that can be very limiting to your intellectual/cultural perspective. I understand that $100k is a lot of extra money to pay for a change of scenery, but I personally think that going elsewhere would be good for you in all the ways that can't be measured by money alone. I also wouldn't worry too much about the relative USNWR ranking between Penn/UVA since you'll get a good legal education either way.

Yeah, but if you go to school in Philly you'll get shot and spend formative years in a hospital.
No hospital > hospital
Therefore
UVA > UPenn

théo

Postby théo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:10 pm

sullidop wrote:
théo wrote:
agatone wrote:I'm looking to do IP law in the DC area after I graduate (sure about the DC, not about the IP), and my permanent residence is in the northern VA area. I was also UVA undergrad, so I've been in Charlottesville for a while. It's a nice town, but I think there's value in living in different places early in your life.

I agree.

Even without the SO considerations, I think Penn would be better just to get out of Virginia. If you continue at UVA, you will basically have stayed in one place for the entirety of your formative years, and that can be very limiting to your intellectual/cultural perspective. I understand that $100k is a lot of extra money to pay for a change of scenery, but I personally think that going elsewhere would be good for you in all the ways that can't be measured by money alone. I also wouldn't worry too much about the relative USNWR ranking between Penn/UVA since you'll get a good legal education either way.

Yeah, but if you go to school in Philly you'll get shot and spend formative years in a hospital.
No hospital > hospital
Therefore
UVA > UPenn

But being in a hospital means he'll get to spend even more quality time with his med school gf!

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:43 pm

théo wrote:
sullidop wrote:
théo wrote:

I agree.

No hospital > hospital
Therefore
UVA > UPenn

But being in a hospital means he'll get to spend even more quality time with his med school gf!

Touché

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:45 pm

I would go to UVA. If its meant to be- the relationship will last. Its not that far away- distance wise so its doable ( much easier than coast to coast). If it doesnt last- then you are in philly, and paying more. I would save the money- and see how the relationship plays out. If it lasts- then thats more money you will have to begin your life together. If it doesnt- you will save the money, and not have to second guess yourself for choosing the girl( who left) over a lot of money.

True money doesnt buy happiness- but going in debt and dealing with the aftermath of a break up- and knowing that you could have saved a lot of money by going to UVA ( a peer school) is a double loss

Return to “Choosing a Law School”