UVA (full) v Penn (half)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA v Penn (please read first, thanks!)

UVA
68%
Penn
32%

Total votes: 155

yngblkgifted

Re: UVA (full) v Penn (half)

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:02 am

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:Coming from the guy who has been crying for two weeks straight over losing his 3 year relationship because of law school, I can honestly say that nothing matters more than your happiness. The extra money, and DC advantage for UVA, should make no difference if you REALLY love this girl (REALLY love =You think there is a really good chance both you and her want to put rings on it, and that you really think that would make you AND HER happy FOREVER). There really are only a few people out there that you will really have a strong connection with, and when you find that, it’s best to hold on tight. And no I don't just mean feel like you “love her”, I mean really think she is the one forever, and you feel over 50% sure about this. And let’s be real, you two would make a really powerful couple if things work out (i.e. money would NEVER be an issue, so the extra cost means nothing, and even if things don’t work out, you will still have a JD from Penn, and last I checked, JD from Penn = set for life.

However, like most others have said, the chances of it working out are truly VERY SLIM. But, Penn is the better school anyway, and I personally would go there for the extra money regardless, but that's just me. Plus, UVA is lame as hell.

Also, most people who just let the people go that they love, usually find themselves single at age 40 or 50, and usually tell me how bad they messed it up with a certain girl, and how now they have no hope of finding the perfect one, and will probably be kind of single for the rest of their life. Money is not everything, in fact, Love>Money, but do you really love her like that, or are you just attached?

Point being, let us see a picture! (:

JK about that last part, if you think she is beautiful, that's all that matters.

You pee sitting down bro?

in my eyes

Postby in my eyes » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:57 pm

LOL @ anybody thinking they're even close to guaranteed 100k salaries from attending either one of these schools. What % of did PENN place this year @ Biglaw firms... Maybe 25%-30???

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:01 pm

If you're sure about DC, then you should go to UVA. You'll need all the help you can get.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:10 pm

in my eyes wrote:LOL @ anybody thinking they're even close to guaranteed 100k salaries from attending either one of these schools. What % of did PENN place this year @ Biglaw firms... Maybe 25%-30???

Probably closer to 55% if you are talking about SA's.

in my eyes

Postby in my eyes » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:16 pm

I'm talking about full time positions beginning after the July bar exam

If the figure was even 30% I'd be shocked. I have several friends @ Penn law and not a single one has a Biglaw gig yet.. Several had positions this summer and did not receive offers.

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:24 pm

in my eyes wrote:I'm talking about full time positions beginning after the July bar exam

If the figure was even 30% I'd be shocked. I have several friends @ Penn law and not a single one has a Biglaw gig yet.. Several had positions this summer and did not receive offers.

Penn placed 53% according to the latest NLJ250 data

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:25 pm

in my eyes wrote:I'm talking about full time positions beginning after the July bar exam

Nothing like anecdotal evidence to base a bold assumption on. Penn had NLJ250+ Art.III clerkships at around 65%. Considering that # does not does not count prestigious PI/gov't, it's amazing. Granted, no law school guarantees anyone anything. All that matters is that you pick a school that gives you a reasonable shot at making it if you work hard and if, at least, 65% a chance isn't good enough, then well...

OP, I am going to Penn, but even I think UVA is the better call, because 100k is a lot of money. I almost broke up with my girlfriend of three years last week, so don't bank on a one year thing lasting.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:28 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:

LOL @ NYU sucking it up and Cornell dominating!

in my eyes

Postby in my eyes » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:33 pm

I'm willing to bet that the Class of 2011 figure for NLJ250 will be closer to 30%.

Not putting Penn down at all just trying to be realistic about the economy. Great school in the best city in America.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:36 pm

in my eyes wrote:I'm willing to bet that the Class of 2011 figure for NLJ250 will be closer to 30%.

Not putting Penn down at all just trying to be realistic about the economy. Great school in the best city in America.

From what I've heard, c/o 2012 had a much better run.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:37 pm

UVA

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:41 pm

in my eyes wrote:I'm willing to bet that the Class of 2011 figure for NLJ250 will be closer to 30%.

Not putting Penn down at all just trying to be realistic about the economy. Great school in the best a city in America.

FTFY

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:45 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:

Not putting Penn down at all just trying to be realistic about the economy. Great school in the best a city in America.

FTFY

Haters gonna hate.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:49 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

FTFY

Haters gonna hate.

Tbf that was too obvious. No one actually thinks philly is the best city in america.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:50 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

FTFY

Haters gonna hate.

Tbf that was too obvious. No one actually thinks philly is the best city in america.

I'm a big Philly advocate, but even I'll concede that one.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:58 pm

At NW 60% of Class of 2011 who went to OCI got a job there. That probably means more like 40% NLJ placement due to boutiques, no offers, clerking, and people who turn down offers.

I doubt Penn is significantly worse. I'd guess 40%.

in my eyes

Postby in my eyes » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:47 pm

Center City / Old City / Bella Vista offer a ridiculous quality of life at minimal cost compared to other major cities.

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:55 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:

Ya man, you're totally right. Stanford and Yale must suck too.

PiersonVee

Postby PiersonVee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:59 pm

As a 2L at a MVPB school, it is my impression that we are all roughly equal in the eyes of employers nationwide. It varies from firm to firm based upon the idiosyncratic experiences of hiring partners, but in the aggregate, we are all roughly equal at a national level. In DC, UVA may have a slight edge due to an higher number of alumni connections, but I don't think the difference is significant enough tilt the scales in UVA's favor.

In the end, I think the real question is whether being close to your SO is worth the additional debt at Penn.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:01 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:

Ya man, you're totally right. Stanford and Yale must suck too.

Whoa, someone goes to NYU. relax bro.

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:13 pm

D-ROCCA wrote:Ya man, you're totally right. Stanford and Yale must suck too.

Stanford and Yale folks are off clerking. NYU people are not.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:16 pm

Attorney wrote:
D-ROCCA wrote:Ya man, you're totally right. Stanford +and Yale must suck too.

+1.
And after all of the trolling about how NYU is a Mecca for big law placement, the list was somewhat humorous. Wasn't trying to step on any toes.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:33 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Attorney wrote:

+1.
And after all of the trolling about how NYU is a Mecca for big law placement, the list was somewhat humorous. Wasn't trying to step on any toes.

Who said NYU is the mecca for big law placement? NYU is noted for its PI bias. A good 9% of NYU students self select into PI.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:38 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
Attorney wrote:

+1.

Who said NYU is the mecca for big law placement? NYU is noted for its PI bias. A good 9% of NYU students self select into PI.

Thought I've heard that, but I guess I was mistaken. Obviously, it is not the mecca. Doesn't matter because I'm not going there. Naive 0L officially signing off...

théo

Postby théo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:16 pm

agatone wrote:I'm looking to do IP law in the DC area after I graduate (sure about the DC, not about the IP), and my permanent residence is in the northern VA area. I was also UVA undergrad, so I've been in Charlottesville for a while. It's a nice town, but I think there's value in living in different places early in your life.

I agree.

Even without the SO considerations, I think Penn would be better just to get out of Virginia. If you continue at UVA, you will basically have stayed in one place for the entirety of your formative years, and that can be very limiting to your intellectual/cultural perspective. I understand that $100k is a lot of extra money to pay for a change of scenery, but I personally think that going elsewhere would be good for you in all the ways that can't be measured by money alone. I also wouldn't worry too much about the relative USNWR ranking between Penn/UVA since you'll get a good legal education either way.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”