UVA (full) v Penn (half) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA v Penn (please read first, thanks!)

UVA
68%
Penn
32%

Total votes: 155

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Re: UVA (full) v Penn (half)

Post by Upton Sinclair » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:16 pm

Attorney wrote:Really just ignore the dating question and think if you'd be tempted to go to Philly anyway. Charlottesville for another 3 years... how bearable is that?
How is it possible to hate money this much? It's one hundred thousand dollars. 100,000 dollars, not yen.

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
Attorney wrote:Really just ignore the dating question and think if you'd be tempted to go to Philly anyway. Charlottesville for another 3 years... how bearable is that?
How is it possible to hate money this much? It's one hundred thousand dollars. 100,000 dollars, not yen.
It's the difference between a $500,000 condo and a $400,000 condo in the long run. Not a life-changing amount, but it's certainly significant.

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:20 pm

Attorney wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:
It's the difference between a $500,000 condo and a $400,000 condo in the long run. Not a life-changing amount, but it's certainly significant.
I take it your parents are pretty wealthy.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:23 pm

youll be a 1L and shell be a 1M?

It is very likely no matter where you go, youll be breaking up.

I can still understand Penn for experiencing something new , though. (plus itll be easier to find a new girl in the big city when you and your current one break up).

But 100K is a lot of scrilla without a significant upgrade in job prospects.

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:26 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
Attorney wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:
I take it your parents are pretty wealthy.
Nope, not at all. I'm a "non-traditional" though, and I probably lived in NYC with a bunch of investment bankers for far too long to have a realistic world view. Maybe I need to be de-programmed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:27 pm

splitmuch wrote:youll be a 1L and shell be a 1M?

I can still understand Penn for experiencing something new , though. (plus itll be easier to find a new girl in the big city when you and your current one break up).

I would go with UPenn. But what can I say, I am a romantic.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:32 pm

BrightLine wrote:Without pics of your girlfriend, it will be difficult for anyone to really give you an answer :)
Underrated point.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Borhas wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Unless you are going to marry this chick, and she's willing to only match for residencies in the same city you get a job in after Law school, then you shouldn't consider her.

I'm not even sure that second part is realistic.
getting laid regularly may improve 1L grades

course that begs another question....
I'm sure he can troll for loose UVA freshmen.

18 yo >> 23 yo med student
disagree on the 18 yo >> 23 yo... though med student aspect may make a difference
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:38 pm

SrLaw wrote:

I would go with UPenn. But what can I say, I am a romantic insane.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:39 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
SrLaw wrote:

You beat me to it. I was going to go with "idiot" but yours was equally as funny while at the same time being a little less insulting.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:43 pm

Virginia, hands down. Debt is nothing to joke about, especially once you start seeing it in your name.

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:47 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:
SrLaw wrote:

You beat me to it. I was going to go with "idiot" but yours was equally as funny while at the same time being a little less insulting.
TBH, I was gonna go with idiot at first.

And Attorney, I wasn't trying to come at you FWIW. But after spending so much time on this site, it's amazing to me how little regard for money many people have (again, not directed at you). Where I come from, $100,000 is absolutely a life-changing amount of money. I realize this isn't the case for many people, but it's still a lot of fucking money.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:54 pm

OP will you be so miserable in C-ville that it will affect your grades? Do you want to be in Philly so badly that you can't see yourself anywhere else? If the answer is honestly "no" to either of these questions, take the money at UVA. Once again, you will have plenty of opportunities to live in the big city.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

2things2

Bronze

Post by 2things2 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:55 pm

its funny to laugh and joke about wondering how hot this girlfriend is, but her hotness should not be taken lightly when making this decision. none of us can truly answer your question without a picture of this chick. it is what makes or breaks penn.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:55 pm

turning down a full ride to a top 10 when you want to work in what is considered that top 10's home market??? *cringe*

if nothing else, think of the differences in alumni bases in DC. UVA>>>Penn, regardless of whether self selection is involved

plus, from what i've heard about medical school, you are both gonna be really fucking busy. not like i'm gonna be the one to say what that will do to your relationship, but...i mean....

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:56 pm

I for one think living in C-Ville for seven years would be awesome. I love it there.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:02 pm

2things2 wrote:its funny to laugh and joke about wondering how hot this girlfriend is, but her hotness should not be taken lightly when making this decision. none of us can truly answer your question without a picture of this chick. it is what makes or breaks penn.

For me, she would have to not only be hott, but she would also have to let me hook up with any of her hott friends for the duration of my time at Penn for me to turn down UVA for free.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:05 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
2things2 wrote:its funny to laugh and joke about wondering how hot this girlfriend is, but her hotness should not be taken lightly when making this decision. none of us can truly answer your question without a picture of this chick. it is what makes or breaks penn.

For me, she would have to not only be hott, but she would also have to let me hook up with any of her hott friends for the duration of my time at Penn for me to turn down UVA for free.

To even consider her she'd have to be hot, superchill and low maintenance, and a fuckin nympho. Given that she's going to be starting med school...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:24 pm

It's November 2012, OP walks home from Penn State's campus. He avoids the hobo who tries to steal his money, and makes it back to the apartment safe. He opens his mail, and wishes he got stabbed by that Hobo. He clenches the letter, the return address

dla piper LLP (US)
1775 Wiehle Avenue, Suite 400
Reston, Virginia 20190-5159

... it was his last chance. The last of three rejection letters from call backs. WHY didn't anyone tell him bidding on DC from median at Penn was a terrible choice!

But alas, he has his beautiful girlfriend. He convinces himself the 30 lbs she gained as a M1 makes her more Romanesque. She'll at least save him from 100K in debt while he raises their future children!

He enters his bedroom door way, and hears squealing. Confused he turns on the lights. His girl is getting railed by a scrawny potmarked asian manboy. He flys off in a rage and chase the guy out of his house, but he won't leave until he gets his med school book back.

All he can do is ask her why? She answers. "He's more man that you are now!"

He jumps off his roof and gets his corpse raped by the hobo. The End.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:It's November 2012, OP walks home from Penn State's campus. He avoids the hobo who tries to steal his money, and makes it back to the apartment safe. He opens his mail, and wishes he got stabbed by that Hobo. He clenches the letter, the return address

DLA Piper LLP (US)

... it was his last chance. The last of three rejection letters from call backs. WHY didn't anyone tell him bidding on DC from median at Penn was a terrible choice!

But alas, he has his beautiful girlfriend. He convinces himself the 30 lbs she gained as a M1 makes her more Romanesque. She'll at least save him from 100K in debt while he raises their future children!

He enters his bedroom door way, and hears squealing. Confused he turns on the lights. His girl is getting railed by a scrawny potmarked asian manboy. He flys off in a rage and chase the guy out of his house, but he won't leave until he gets his med school book back.

=)

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:It's November 2012, OP walks home from Penn State's campus. He avoids the hobo who tries to steal his money, and makes it back to the apartment safe. He opens his mail, and wishes he got stabbed by that Hobo. He clenches the letter, the return address

DLA Piper LLP (US)

Add some crazy CGI violence and multiple explosions that are in no way related to this plot and we could have a Michael Bay movie on our hands.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:43 pm

DLA Piper LLP (US)

Too funny!

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:44 pm

Attorney wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:
At 5-7% interest?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:50 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:turning down a full ride to a top 10 when you want to work in what is considered that top 10's home market??? *cringe*

if nothing else, think of the differences in alumni bases in DC. UVA>>>Penn, regardless of whether self selection is involved
I'm not sure if UVA deserves three ">>>" over Penn when it comes to DC placement, but there's definitely an advantage to sticking it out in Charlottesville for another three years--especially since Penn would be twice the cost!

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:52 pm

wow@TT that's really all I can say.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”