UVA (full) v Penn (half) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA v Penn (please read first, thanks!)

UVA
68%
Penn
32%

Total votes: 155

Patriot1208

Platinum

Re: UVA (full) v Penn (half)

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:02 pm

glewz wrote:
Attorney wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:
Attorney wrote:Really just ignore the dating question and think if you'd be tempted to go to Philly anyway. Charlottesville for another 3 years... how bearable is that?
How is it possible to hate money this much? It's one hundred thousand dollars. 100,000 dollars, not yen.
It's the difference between a $500,000 condo and a $400,000 condo in the long run. Not a life-changing amount, but it's certainly significant.
At 5-7% interest?
what is this, I don't even

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:19 pm

glewz wrote:
Attorney wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:
Attorney wrote:Really just ignore the dating question and think if you'd be tempted to go to Philly anyway. Charlottesville for another 3 years... how bearable is that?
How is it possible to hate money this much? It's one hundred thousand dollars. 100,000 dollars, not yen.
It's the difference between a $500,000 condo and a $400,000 condo in the long run. Not a life-changing amount, but it's certainly significant.
At 5-7% interest?
Yes, actually... but I suppose graduate student loan interest is like 6.8% these days, while mortgages are more like 4.9%. Both tax deductible. So account for 2% more compounding interest when comparing school loans with condo loans if you want.

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:24 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:And Attorney, I wasn't trying to come at you FWIW. But after spending so much time on this site, it's amazing to me how little regard for money many people have (again, not directed at you). Where I come from, $100,000 is absolutely a life-changing amount of money. I realize this isn't the case for many people, but it's still a lot of fucking money.
No worries, and you're right: it really is a lot of money for what is a lateral move at best and a downgrade at worst, given his DC preference.

Desert Fox wrote:It's November 2012, OP walks home from Penn State's campus. He avoids the hobo who tries to steal his money, and makes it back to the apartment safe. He opens his mail, and wishes he got stabbed by that Hobo. He clenches the letter, the return address

DLA Piper LLP (US)
1775 Wiehle Avenue, Suite 400
Reston, Virginia 20190-5159

... it was his last chance.

(...)

He jumps off his roof and gets his corpse raped by the hobo. The End.
SO MUCH WIN.

PleaseHelpThanks

New

Post by PleaseHelpThanks » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:16 pm

Coming from the guy who has been crying for two weeks straight over losing his 3 year relationship because of law school, I can honestly say that nothing matters more than your happiness. The extra money, and DC advantage for UVA, should make no difference if you REALLY love this girl (REALLY love =You think there is a really good chance both you and her want to put rings on it, and that you really think that would make you AND HER happy FOREVER). There really are only a few people out there that you will really have a strong connection with, and when you find that, it’s best to hold on tight. And no I don't just mean feel like you “love her”, I mean really think she is the one forever, and you feel over 50% sure about this. And let’s be real, you two would make a really powerful couple if things work out (i.e. money would NEVER be an issue, so the extra cost means nothing, and even if things don’t work out, you will still have a JD from Penn, and last I checked, JD from Penn = set for life.

However, like most others have said, the chances of it working out are truly VERY SLIM. But, Penn is the better school anyway, and I personally would go there for the extra money regardless, but that's just me. Plus, UVA is lame as hell.

Also, most people who just let the people go that they love, usually find themselves single at age 40 or 50, and usually tell me how bad they messed it up with a certain girl, and how now they have no hope of finding the perfect one, and will probably be kind of single for the rest of their life. Money is not everything, in fact, Love>Money, but do you really love her like that, or are you just attached?

Point being, let us see a picture! (:

JK about that last part, if you think she is beautiful, that's all that matters.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:18 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:Coming from the guy who has been crying for two weeks straight over losing his 3 year relationship because of law school, I can honestly say that nothing matters more than your happiness. The extra money, and DC advantage for UVA, should make no difference if you REALLY love this girl (REALLY love =You think there is a really good chance both you and her want to put rings on it, and that you really think that would make you AND HER happy FOREVER). There really are only a few people out there that you will really have a strong connection with, and when you find that, it’s best to hold on tight. And no I don't just mean feel like you “love her”, I mean really think she is the one forever, and you feel over 50% sure about this. And let’s be real, you two would make a really powerful couple if things work out (i.e. money would NEVER be an issue, so the extra cost means nothing, and even if things don’t work out, you will still have a JD from Penn, and last I checked, JD from Penn = set for life.

However, like most others have said, the chances of it working out are truly VERY SLIM. But, Penn is the better school anyway, and I personally would go there for the extra money regardless, but that's just me. Plus, UVA is lame as hell.

Also, most people who just let the people go that they love, usually find themselves single at age 40 or 50, and usually tell me how bad they messed it up with a certain girl, and how now they have no hope of finding the perfect one, and will probably be kind of single for the rest of their life. Money is not everything, in fact, Love>Money, but do you really love her like that, or are you just attached?

JK about that last part, if you think she is beautiful, that's all that matters.
Don't listen to a self admitted vagina.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:18 pm

^^where do i even start with this retarded fucking post. go away dude

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:22 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:Coming from the guy who has been crying for two weeks straight over losing his 3 year relationship because of law school, I can honestly say that nothing matters more than your happiness. The extra money, and DC advantage for UVA, should make no difference if you REALLY love this girl (REALLY love =You think there is a really good chance both you and her want to put rings on it, and that you really think that would make you AND HER happy FOREVER). There really are only a few people out there that you will really have a strong connection with, and when you find that, it’s best to hold on tight. And no I don't just mean feel like you “love her”, I mean really think she is the one forever, and you feel over 50% sure about this. And let’s be real, you two would make a really powerful couple if things work out (i.e. money would NEVER be an issue, so the extra cost means nothing, and even if things don’t work out, you will still have a JD from Penn, and last I checked, JD from Penn = set for life.
no
PleaseHelpThanks wrote:However, like most others have said, the chances of it working out are truly VERY SLIM. But, Penn is the better school anyway, and I personally would go there for the extra money regardless, but that's just me. Plus, UVA is lame as hell.
you are a fucking retard. P and V are peers; P might have an edge, it's not worth that much $$
PleaseHelpThanks wrote:Also, most people who just let the people go that they love, usually find themselves single at age 40 or 50, and usually tell me how bad they messed it up with a certain girl, and how now they have no hope of finding the perfect one, and will probably be kind of single for the rest of their life. Money is not everything, in fact, Love>Money, but do you really love her like that, or are you just attached?
GIGANTIC fucking eye roll. grow a penis
PleaseHelpThanks wrote:Point being, let us see a picture! (:

jesus christ.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:22 pm

This post is full of complete BS. Not because it contradicts my advice (and the advice of many other posters), but because it is based on some of the most unsupported and generally poorly though out reasoning I have ever seen. We are all dumber for having read your post, sir. I kindly ask that you GTFO.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:33 pm

People in their twenties cry for weeks over relationships?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:35 pm

Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:38 pm

this is assuming everyone (even more people) is/are employed upon graduation coming out of penn. also, OP is getting a full scholarship. that really lessens the restrictions on what kind of job he(?) feels he can go for

otherwise, cool story

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:50 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
this is assuming everyone (even more people) is/are employed upon graduation coming out of penn. also, OP is getting a full scholarship. that really lessens the restrictions on what kind of job he(?) feels he can go for

otherwise, cool story
well actually I was assuming Penn wasn't full entitled pricks that go around protesting their ASD

but you make good points
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PleaseHelpThanks

New

Post by PleaseHelpThanks » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:55 pm

The only thing I said that might be unsupported is the clear hyperbole: JD from Penn = set for life. And although this isn't completely true, it would be for me, and most people with good people skills that like to work hard. But hey if you suck, maybe a JD from Penn won't be your Golden Ticket, but for the OP (someone getting a full ride from UVA/ clearly a hardworking smart person), something tells me that the set for life thing should be very likely, if OP plays his cards right.

P.S. UVA really does suck compared to Penn (in ways that are so obvious that I shouldn't even have to say them)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:56 pm

Borhas wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

otherwise, cool story
well actually I was assuming Penn wasn't full entitled pricks that go around protesting their ASD

but you make good points
i'm happy to go to school with entitled pricks, if it means they think they're entitled to their grades and therefore don't study. that would help my case a lot. but i now see your angle, and thus digress

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:57 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:The only thing I said that might be unsupported is the clear hyperbole: JD from Penn = set for life. And although this isn't completely true, it would be for me, and most people with good people skills that like to work hard. But hey if you suck, maybe a JD from Penn won't be your Golden Ticket, but for the OP (someone getting a full ride from UVA/ clearly a hardworking smart person), something tells me that the set for life thing should be very likely, if OP plays his cards right.

P.S. UVA really does suck compared to Penn (in ways that are so obvious that I shouldn't even have to say them)
do you know what GTFO stands for?

also, if you're going to make value judgements on why one PEER school is so much better than another and then say the reasons are so obvious you shouldn't even have to say them, you're doing it wrong. go play with your wee wee

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:00 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:The only thing I said that might be unsupported is the clear hyperbole: JD from Penn = set for life. And although this isn't completely true, it would be for me, and most people with good people skills that like to work hard. But hey if you suck, maybe a JD from Penn won't be your Golden Ticket, but for the OP (someone getting a full ride from UVA/ clearly a hardworking smart person), something tells me that the set for life thing should be very likely, if OP plays his cards right.

You either don't understand what the phrase set for life means or you don't understand the legal market. Or maybe you are just stupid. Or maybe all three. So many options.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:01 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Boggs

Bronze

Post by Boggs » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:01 pm

Gee guys, I don't think "don't listen to a self admitted vagina," "you are a fucking retard," "grow a penis," "go play with your wee wee," and "we are all dumber for having read your post," are direct enough statements. Why don't you guys say what you really think? When someone espouses values that differ from yours, you shouldn't go so easy on them.

In all seriousness to the folks who just had a coronary over what PleaseHelpThanks posted, step away from to computer and go back to anger management class. Recess is over. I don't agree with him, but your responses went far beyond mere disagreement (penis envy much paulinaporizkova?).

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:04 pm

Wait so your 3 yr relationship ended because of law school so you think that he should base his law school decision on a girl? That makes no sense.

Seriously guys take the pussy off the pedestal. There are girls everywhere.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:04 pm

Boggs wrote:Gee guys, I don't think "don't listen to a self admitted vagina," "you are a fucking retard," "grow a penis," "go play with your wee wee," and "we are all dumber for having read your post," are direct enough statements. Why don't you guys say what you really think? When someone espouses values that differ from yours, you shouldn't go so easy on them.

In all seriousness to the folks who just had a coronary over what PleaseHelpThanks posted, step away from to computer and go back to anger management class. Recess is over. I don't agree with him, but your responses went far beyond mere disagreement (penis envy much paulinaporizkova?).
It's the interwebz, but I do think paulina has penis envy.

cern

New

Post by cern » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:06 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:

do you know what GTFO stands for?

also, if you're going to make value judgements on why one PEER school is so much better than another and then say the reasons are so obvious you shouldn't even have to say them, you're doing it wrong. go play with your wee wee
lol, u mad?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:07 pm

Boggs wrote:Gee guys, I don't think "don't listen to a self admitted vagina," "you are a fucking retard," "grow a penis," "go play with your wee wee," and "we are all dumber for having read your post," are direct enough statements. Why don't you guys say what you really think? When someone espouses values that differ from yours, you shouldn't go so easy on them.
if these values made any rational sense i'd be more understanding
Boggs wrote:In all seriousness to the folks who just had a coronary over what PleaseHelpThanks posted, step away from to computer and go back to anger management class. Recess is over. I don't agree with him, but your responses went far beyond mere disagreement (penis envy much paulinaporizkova?).

:shock: have we met????

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:07 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

yes, that was incredibly accurate

agatone

New

Post by agatone » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:09 pm

Okay, after reading through the posts, I think I've come away with one major takeaway point:

Hobo-rape and heartbreak are all that await me at Penn.

Besides that though, I suppose it boils down to relationship v. 100k and the support tends to come for the latter side (unsurprisingly), given that UVA and Penn are essentially viewed as equals.

Some other things:
No pictures will be posted. Sorry.
I would not be miserable in Charlottesville and I would not be ecstatic in Philly.
Fortunately, no debt from UG. Parents would likely be able to chip in some to law school expenses, but I would really like to avoid that. My cousin went to Penn Law without any aid, was above average, and he managed to pay off his loans in a few years. He went to Texas though.
The story about my untimely demise mentioned median at Penn applying to D.C. being unsuccessful. If I were top 20-30%, would this still be an issue? And I don't think this implies that median at UVA is sufficient for D.C., does it?
Side note: I'm fairly non-confrontational, so the vitriolic discourse that pops up at times is a bit frightening :shock:

Thanks again for all the input. Will be one of many factors in making a decision.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:11 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

yes, that was incredibly accurate
I think we could work something out with my penis

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”