Marquette or Lower Tier California Schools? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Curry

Re: Marquette or Lower Tier California Schools?

Post by Curry » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:07 pm

MsSweetie wrote:
bk187 wrote:
MsSweetie wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:It really sounds like you dont like either of these so the smart play is to retake and go to a better school in CA.
That isn't really an option for me though.
Why is retaking the LSAT not an option?
Because that's not what I want to do. Lol.

I'd have to sit out of school for this Fall. Meaning I'd have to move back home. It's all a hassle that I rather not deal with, when I could just examine my options and choose from there.
So, you lose a year in order to eschew two horrible options for your future. If you don't retake and go to Marquette, you won't get a job in california. Period. End of Discussion. If you don't retake and go to a shitty school in California, odds are you won't get a job in california. Remind me then why its a smart idea to pay 200k for an education that isn't going to get you a job?

The reasons bk is saying "retake" isn't because its fun to say "LOLRETAKE." Its because its legitimately the best choice you have. If you don't like that option, that doesn't mean its not the best choice. Given all the information you've provided us, retaking is not only the best option, its in actuality the only viable one for your goals. You really ought to retake, sit a year out, find a job, and apply next year. If anything, it will make your application stronger, your cycle better, and your future brighter.

MsSweetie

New

Post by MsSweetie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:08 pm

bk187 wrote:
MsSweetie wrote:Because that's not what I want to do. Lol.

I'd have to sit out of school for this Fall. Meaning I'd have to move back home. It's all a hassle that I rather not deal with, when I could just examine my options and choose from there.
Your options are horrible. Nobody wants to wait to go to school but when you have options that aren't in line with your goals (e.g. Marquette isn't going to take you to CA) or have a very high chance of leaving you with a lot of debt and without a job (e.g. La Verne), retaking/reapplying is the best thing to do.

I was in a similar situation last cycle and retaking/reapplying was the best thing I've ever done. Sure, there is a chance you won't improve, but it is foolish not to even try considering how much better your situation can be.
We can't speak on all my options. As aforementioned, I haven't heard back from all but one of the 4 or 5 I applied to California (even though all but one are low tiers so, eh)

I'm glad that worked out for you, but like I said, I'm doing that. Call it what you will, but that's not where I am in my decision.

This isn't about re-taking the LSAT. It's about exploring my options.

Thank you though!
Last edited by MsSweetie on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MsSweetie

New

Post by MsSweetie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:09 pm

Curry wrote:
The reasons bk is saying "retake" isn't because its fun to say "LOLRETAKE." Its because its legitimately the best choice you have. If you don't like that option, that doesn't mean its not the best choice. Given all the information you've provided us, retaking is not only the best option, its in actuality the only viable one for your goals. You really ought to retake, sit a year out, find a job, and apply next year. If anything, it will make your application stronger, your cycle better, and your future brighter.
Thanks!

lukebyalibi

New

Post by lukebyalibi » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:12 pm

Yeah I agree with most everyone above! What are your numbers anyway? You may want to wait a year get your numbers up and blanket the the lower tier 1 or upper tier 2 pending on LSAT improvement. I would consider Marquette for myself just for the fact I can still live at home for free, and it is only a 10 min drive from my house! :D. I do not see any school you chose being worth the COA that is being projected.

Sit down have a think about all of this.
Remember this is all about your future! You have to live with your decision not people on TLS. Do not let the whole I need to go to Law school tomorrow emotional aspect have any bearing on your decision. I almost made the same irrational choices but then I found this site, and plan on studying my ass off to get into some top schools!! Contrary to popular belief you have time to retake!!!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:14 pm

MsSweetie wrote:We can't speak on all my options. As aforementioned, I haven't heard back from all but one of the 4 or 5 I applied to California.

I'm glad that worked out for you, but like I said, I'm doing that. Call it what you will, but that's not where I am in my decision.

Thank you though!
Law school admissions is very numbers based (GPA/LSAT account for roughly 90%+ of admissions). I can pretty much guarantee that if you're looking at La Verne and Marquette (with only 10k) that you won't be getting into Hastings and the other CA schools.

Your options are poor in general. I am telling you that going to them is a bad idea for the reasons mentioned above. Sure, Marquette is your best option but you're going to have to be okay with staying in WI for the foreseeable future. If you don't want to be in WI then going to school this year is a bullheaded move as your non-Marquette options are awful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MsSweetie

New

Post by MsSweetie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:16 pm

I think people are missing the point that while California would be nice, I'm not DEAD SET on living there. It would be beautiful, but if I HAD to work someone else, I wouldn't be crushed and feel like a failure. I just don't know if I want to be "stuck" in Wisconsin. Which is why I'm asking "Hey, how is Wisconsin? How is Marquette?"

I just want the OPTION of being able to live and work ANYWHERE, as I stated.

Thanks for all the opinions, comments. Hearing other viewpoints, although I may disagree, are helpful.

:)

MsSweetie

New

Post by MsSweetie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:19 pm

bk187 wrote:
MsSweetie wrote:We can't speak on all my options. As aforementioned, I haven't heard back from all but one of the 4 or 5 I applied to California.

Thank you though!
Law school admissions is very numbers based (GPA/LSAT account for roughly 90%+ of admissions). I can pretty much guarantee that if you're looking at La Verne and Marquette (with only 10k) that you won't be getting into Hastings and the other CA schools.

Your options are poor in general. I am telling you that going to them is a bad idea for the reasons mentioned above. Sure, Marquette is your best option but you're going to have to be okay with staying in WI for the foreseeable future. If you don't want to be in WI then going to school this year is a bullheaded move as your non-Marquette options are awful.
Eh..

Your opinion. I mean, all your opinions. I don't know about your "guarantees" but, eh!

Again, thanks!

Curry

Post by Curry » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:19 pm

MsSweetie wrote:I think people are missing the point that while California would be nice, I'm not DEAD SET on living there. It would be beautiful, but if I HAD to work someone else, I wouldn't be crushed and feel like a failure. I just don't know if I want to be "stuck" in Wisconsin. Which is why I'm asking "Hey, how is Wisconsin? How is Marquette?"

Thanks for all the opinions, comments. Hearing other viewpoints, although I may disagree, are helpful.

There are maybe 3 schools in the country that give you the option of being able to live and work anywhere. You tend to need a 174+ LSAT and a steller GPA with a medal of honor or nobel prize on your shoulder to get in. You aren't going to have those options from Marquette or LaVerne

MsSweetie

New

Post by MsSweetie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:20 pm

lukebyalibi wrote:Yeah I agree with most everyone above! What are your numbers anyway? You may want to wait a year get your numbers up and blanket the the lower tier 1 or upper tier 2 pending on LSAT improvement. I would consider Marquette for myself just for the fact I can still live at home for free, and it is only a 10 min drive from my house! :D. I do not see any school you chose being worth the COA that is being projected.

Remember this is all about your future! You have to live with your decision not people on TLS. Do not let the whole I need to go to Law school tomorrow emotional aspect have any bearing on your decision. I almost made the same irrational choices but then I found this site, and plan on studying my ass off to get into some top schools!! Contrary to popular belief you have time to retake!!!
Oh, absolutely!

I just wanted to hear what other people thought. It's my decision at the end of the day, of course. That kind of thing helps a bit, you know?

I was hoping some Marquette student would come in here but, guess I lose with that.

Good luck to you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MsSweetie

New

Post by MsSweetie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:22 pm

Curry wrote:
MsSweetie wrote:I think people are missing the point that while California would be nice, I'm not DEAD SET on living there. It would be beautiful, but if I HAD to work someone else, I wouldn't be crushed and feel like a failure. I just don't know if I want to be "stuck" in Wisconsin. Which is why I'm asking "Hey, how is Wisconsin? How is Marquette?"

There are maybe 3 schools in the country that give you the option of being able to live and work anywhere. You tend to need a 174+ LSAT and a steller GPA with a medal of honor or nobel prize on your shoulder to get in. You aren't going to have those options from Marquette or LaVerne
I'm not considering La Verne. That's the ONLY school I've heard from in Cali, again.

But thank you. HA @ nobel prize.

lukebyalibi

New

Post by lukebyalibi » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Then I would go to Marquette, graduate, then get a few years of work experience and try to find a job elsewhere.

Curry

Post by Curry » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:25 pm

lukebyalibi wrote:Then I would go to Marquette, graduate, then get a few years of work experience and try to find a job elsewhere.
Thats... not very easy to do.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:26 pm

MsSweetie wrote:Eh..

Your opinion. I mean, all your opinions. I don't know about your "guarantees" but, eh!

Again, thanks!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

Look at the graphs on that site. Trust me, you aren't going to buck the trends.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

danielle9281

New

Post by danielle9281 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:32 pm

I am having the same problem. We have to let Marquette know by friday and I am still unsure of what to do. I am deciding between Loyola (LA), the University of Wisconsin, or Marquette.

Overall, I want to move to California and I am getting an $87 scholarship at Loyola, but I am afraid that I will have trouble finding a high paying job if I go there since UCLA and USC are in the same city.

Between UW and Marquette I would obviously rather go to UW, but I was offered a $83K scholarship at Marquette compared to a $30K at UW.

Also, I have a better chance at getting a biglaw job going to UW than Loyola and if the firm has a location in CA I could probably transfer there after some time.

What are your opinions on these schools. Please help me! I need to know by friday.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:39 pm

If you have any trepidation about living in WI and WANT CA, no school you listed should be an option for you and you should not attend any of those schools next fall. Nobody wants to retake but dont expect TLS to be sympathetic to your poor life altering decision because you were too impatient to wait one year.

danielle9281

New

Post by danielle9281 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:53 pm

Sandro wrote:If you have any trepidation about living in WI and WANT CA, no school you listed should be an option for you and you should not attend any of those schools next fall. Nobody wants to retake but dont expect TLS to be sympathetic to your poor life altering decision because you were too impatient to wait one year.

I am more worried about getting a biglaw job, than living in California. But I have researched the biglaw firms that higher quite a bit from UW and most of them have a branch in California. Therefore, I can get the biglaw job and if I decide I do not want to live in the Midwest anymore I am sure I would be able to transfer after a certain amount of years with the firm.

My main question is if anyone knows anything about Loyola or Marquette. I know what I have read and it doesn't look as good as UW, but I would rather hear it from someone who actually attended, knows someone who has attended, or lives in the area. I feel like these reports are only so accurate.

danielle9281

New

Post by danielle9281 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:53 pm

MsSweetie wrote:
lukebyalibi wrote:Yeah I agree with most everyone above! What are your numbers anyway? You may want to wait a year get your numbers up and blanket the the lower tier 1 or upper tier 2 pending on LSAT improvement. I would consider Marquette for myself just for the fact I can still live at home for free, and it is only a 10 min drive from my house! :D. I do not see any school you chose being worth the COA that is being projected.

Oh, absolutely!

I just wanted to hear what other people thought. It's my decision at the end of the day, of course. That kind of thing helps a bit, you know?

I was hoping some Marquette student would come in here but, guess I lose with that.

Good luck to you!

Yea I have noticed that these threads are usually only somewhat helpful, because no one really answers your question. I have visited Marquette and it is a very nice school, but I am not from MKE and therefore do not know much about its reputation there. Although I do have some friends who live there and they have said that everyone they know that has gone to Marquette has loved it. Then again that hasn't been very helpful to me when deciding whether to go there, because I still have no idea what the job prospects are, just that it may be a good school to attend.

I am just as confused as you are about where to attend. California or Wisconsin....?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:47 pm

I was responding to OP. Loyola and UW really comes down to where you want to end up. I would pick UW personally because Its the best school in WI whereas Loyola is like 7th or something on the CA pecking order....

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:46 pm

Go to Marquette. If you're looking at schools like Marquette or La Verne, then you're better suited for a law school in a smaller market. A La Verne law degree should come standard with its own EBT card, because that's what you're going to be on when you can't find a job, or once you secure one, and you come to the stern realization that 35k a year is barely enough for rent, insurance, car payment, parking permit, registration, gas, and a number of other BS costs that Californians incur.

I think I paid over $250 dollars for my registration last year, gas is around $4.30, my insurance is about $120 a month, and that doesn't even include the ridiculous price for water that I pay.

I love this state, but until there are some serious changes, its best days may be behind it.

"California lives on fumes of the past"
http://www.ocregister.com/opinion/calif ... lives.html

"California is regulating itself out of business"
http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_17828093

"California: The Next Economic Dustbowl"
http://www.kusi.com/story/14407055/califo

danielle9281

New

Post by danielle9281 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:22 am

Sandro wrote:I was responding to OP. Loyola and UW really comes down to where you want to end up. I would pick UW personally because Its the best school in WI whereas Loyola is like 7th or something on the CA pecking order....

Okay, thank you, that is a great response and exactly what I think I am going to do.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:49 am

danielle9281 wrote:I am having the same problem. We have to let Marquette know by friday and I am still unsure of what to do. I am deciding between Loyola (LA), the University of Wisconsin, or Marquette.

Overall, I want to move to California and I am getting an $87 scholarship at Loyola, but I am afraid that I will have trouble finding a high paying job if I go there since UCLA and USC are in the same city.

Between UW and Marquette I would obviously rather go to UW, but I was offered a $83K scholarship at Marquette compared to a $30K at UW.

Also, I have a better chance at getting a biglaw job going to UW than Loyola and if the firm has a location in CA I could probably transfer there after some time.

What are your opinions on these schools. Please help me! I need to know by friday.
None of these schools gives you a good chance at biglaw or a high paying job (and by high paying I assume you mean something in the 6 figure range).

If you really want biglaw then you should retake/reapply and settle for no less than the T18 if you're feeling risky, but moreso the T12-13 if you want more of a reassurance.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

danielle9281

New

Post by danielle9281 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:25 pm

bk187 wrote:
danielle9281 wrote:I am having the same problem. We have to let Marquette know by friday and I am still unsure of what to do. I am deciding between Loyola (LA), the University of Wisconsin, or Marquette.

None of these schools gives you a good chance at biglaw or a high paying job (and by high paying I assume you mean something in the 6 figure range).

If you really want biglaw then you should retake/reapply and settle for no less than the T18 if you're feeling risky, but moreso the T12-13 if you want more of a reassurance.
I doubt any school guarantee's a biglaw 6 figure job, but the University of Wisconsin is a school that would offer me more opportunities to. I got accepted to better schools, but I refuse to pay sticker price for them. These are just the schools I am choosing from. Anyways, UW is tier 1 and in the midwest highly recognized. It is somewhat regional, but not as bad as tier 2, 3, & 4 schools. That doesn't bother me though, because I will take a job in the midwest. It is also the best law school in Wisconsin and has a great OCI. Anwyays, I am not worried about UW, just sad it is not in a warmer climite such as LA.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:28 pm

danielle9281 wrote:I doubt any school guarantee's a biglaw 6 figure job, but the University of Wisconsin is a school that would offer me more opportunities to. I got accepted to better schools, but I refuse to pay sticker price for them. These are just the schools I am choosing from. Anyways, UW is tier 1 and in the midwest highly recognized. It is somewhat regional, but not as bad as tier 2, 3, & 4 schools. That doesn't bother me though, because I will take a job in the midwest. It is also the best law school in Wisconsin and has a great OCI. Anwyays, I am not worried about UW, just sad it is not in a warmer climite such as LA.
No school guarantees it, but at least at some schools you have about a 50/50 shot of getting it. My point was that you are still highly unlikely to get biglaw out of Wisconsin so you shouldn't use that as a deciding factor for going there because the increased chance (compared to lower schools) still leaves you with an overwhelming probability of not getting it.

Wisconsin is somewhat regional? It is very regional, but that is true of almost every law school in the country.

Generic20101L

Bronze

Post by Generic20101L » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:09 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
MsSweetie wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:If you dont want to live in WI do NOT under any circumstances g to Marquette.
Because...? I won't be able to find a job after graduation somewhere else? Marquette isn't taken seriously outside of Wisconsin?

I need some concrete reasons to help me make a decision.
yes and yes. also, mke is a dirty ass city
Absurd, don't listen to this advice.

Milwaukee is prob one of the cleanest big cities I have ever been to.

Generic20101L

Bronze

Post by Generic20101L » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:12 pm

danielle9281 wrote:
Sandro wrote:If you have any trepidation about living in WI and WANT CA, no school you listed should be an option for you and you should not attend any of those schools next fall. Nobody wants to retake but dont expect TLS to be sympathetic to your poor life altering decision because you were too impatient to wait one year.

I am more worried about getting a biglaw job, than living in California. But I have researched the biglaw firms that higher quite a bit from UW and most of them have a branch in California. Therefore, I can get the biglaw job and if I decide I do not want to live in the Midwest anymore I am sure I would be able to transfer after a certain amount of years with the firm.

My main question is if anyone knows anything about Loyola or Marquette. I know what I have read and it doesn't look as good as UW, but I would rather hear it from someone who actually attended, knows someone who has attended, or lives in the area. I feel like these reports are only so accurate.
I go to Marquette and if you want Big Law you do not want to go to Marquette.

You can PM me if you have any more questions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”