Should I take a year off?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

Take a year off.
57%
Go to USC w/$60k scholarship
43%

Total votes: 21

daydreamer

Should I take a year off?

Postby daydreamer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:23 pm

Hey everyone I was hoping TLS could provide some advice, I really don't know what to do....

My dream school is Michigan for many reasons however, I haven't heard from them yet but I'm a borderline candidate at best. (167, 3.75)

The only school I've gotten into this cycle is USC w/60k. My question is: Should I take a year off to try again at Michigan? I could study for the LSAT again for a couple more points, apply earlier and maybe have a better shot. Or should I just go to USC and never look back.

Some quick things:
-Michigan resident, unsure where I want to practice
-Currently in undergrad
-GPA will probably be around 3.77 when I graduate (not sure if this means anything)

More details about my cycle here: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/daydreamer

Thanks for all your comments and advice in advanced!

ahduth

Re: Should I take a year off?

Postby ahduth » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:25 pm

Well, if you want to go to Michigan, and you don't get in this year... retake/reapply. I would do that period if you think you can do better on the LSAT, and you don't mind waiting a year.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:26 pm

If you can pick up a few more LSAT points, you will be looking at a whole different cycle.

I also generally advocate time away from school before LS, but that is just a personal choice.

Good luck.

skippy1

Postby skippy1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:28 pm

There is a big difference in retaking with a 160 versus retaking with at 167. It's really tough to gain points once you get into the score range that you're in. Are you absolutely sure you can get "a few more points" ? What if you don't get the few points, do you have a plan to use your year off productively? I say take USC and make the best of it.

daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:43 pm

skippy1 wrote:There is a big difference in retaking with a 160 versus retaking with at 167. It's really tough to gain points once you get into the score range that you're in. Are you absolutely sure you can get "a few more points" ? What if you don't get the few points, do you have a plan to use your year off productively? I say take USC and make the best of it.

Yeah that's a thing I'm worried about - I'm not sure. While preparing for the LSAT was averaging 169/170 under timed conditions. However, my 167 was a retake, the first time was a cancel so I studied for about 5 months total (it was pretty rigorous too) for the 167.

I'm afraid if I don't do as well, I'll just end up in the same situation, maybe even without the USC acceptance?

However, I am not opposed to taking a year off at all. I could use the extra money and experience...and it'd be a nice break from school. At the same time though, I know that if I went to law school this Fall, I'd be completely mentally ready.

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:45 pm

You could always take the June LSAT. If you do better, withdraw and reapply next year. If you do not do better, then enjoy USC.

daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:56 pm

beidoun wrote:You could always take the June LSAT. If you do better, withdraw and reapply next year. If you do not do better, then enjoy USC.

Could I really do that? I feel like USC would rescind my scholarship offer. They already said that it's contingent on the fact that I don't put seat deposits down at other schools....but they didn't mention retaking the LSAT.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:57 pm

beidoun wrote:You could always take the June LSAT. If you do better, withdraw and reapply next year. If you do not do better, then enjoy USC.

This.

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:10 am

daydreamer wrote:

Could I really do that? I feel like USC would rescind my scholarship offer. They already said that it's contingent on the fact that I don't put seat deposits down at other schools....but they didn't mention retaking the LSAT.

No they can't rescind your scholarship for retaking the LSAT. They would not know until after you took the LSAT and received the score. If the LSAT works out for you, then who cares if they are mad. You are reapplying and with your GPA, you will be in a lot better shape.

skippy1

Postby skippy1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:13 am

So it sounds like you've hit your best score with a 167. Before you decide on a retake, you should have a clear idea of what you'd do differently to prep.

Also, did you apply early in the cycle? If you didn't then that's another thing that might give you a boost when you reapply.

daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:56 pm

skippy1 wrote:So it sounds like you've hit your best score with a 167. Before you decide on a retake, you should have a clear idea of what you'd do differently to prep.

Also, did you apply early in the cycle? If you didn't then that's another thing that might give you a boost when you reapply.

I applied late November. Would I get much more of a boost if I applied in September?

BeachandRun23 wrote:

This.

I think this is what I'm going to do...thanks for the advice!

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:08 pm

beidoun wrote:
daydreamer wrote:

No they can't rescind your scholarship for retaking the LSAT. They would not know until after you took the LSAT and received the score. If the LSAT works out for you, then who cares if they are mad. You are reapplying and with your GPA, you will be in a lot better shape.

Also, if they inquire - you can always say that you re-took the LSAT to see if you could get in the top 2% of test takers, to put you eligible to be a PT LSAT instructor at (I forget what company requires this) company during your 1L summer while you anticipate you'll be doing an unpaid internship. Would be plausible and also could be a good idea.

enron123

Postby enron123 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:36 pm

They can rescind the offer for anything, they just won't...splitting hairs

If there is something you want to do career wise for the next year or so then I would say do that and reapply, a solid year of work experience might bump you up in some schools eyes (NU) and you might get a better roll of the dice regardless of retake.

If there isn't take the 60k and enjoy Cali

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:43 pm

Can't you defer admission for a year with USC, so that if you retake and don't do that well you still have the USC offer without having to reapply? I don't know if this will work, but see what you can find out because it might be a good plan.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”