Vandy, Wisconsin or Northwestern?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go!?

Vandy (COA ~$165k)
37%
Wisconsin (COA ~$100k
11%
Northwestern (COA ~220k)
53%

Total votes: 38

Flips88

Re: Vandy, Wisconsin or Northwestern?

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If Chicago is one for your dream markets, I think NU is the obvious choice. PI orgs can be prestige whores, and NU's LRAP is amazing for those who make a normal PI salary.

Vandy might limit your options to the south which you hate.

I PM'd you DF

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If Chicago is one for your dream markets, I think NU is the obvious choice. PI orgs can be prestige whores, and NU's LRAP is amazing for those who make a normal PI salary.

Vandy might limit your options to the south which you hate.

I think this is the credited response. Plus we can wallow in misery together signing the promissory notes.

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:35 am

Nashville is an amazing place. I was stationed at Fort Campbell, KY and being a Minnesotan who has spent some time in the South, Nashville is nothing like the stereotypical southern city. Honestly, I think you can really go wrong with either NU or Vanderbilt. Both are excellent schools with good job prospects.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:40 am

Nothing incredibly constructive to add, except that Tennessee is a step up from Oklahoma (not saying much).

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:07 am

From my understanding to take advantage of Northwesterns LRAP you have to enter qualifying employment the first year out of LS (i.e working in biglaw and lateralling to PI work and managing the rest of your debt load with the LRAP wouldn't be an option). IMHO given your goals and desire to escape the south, I would take NU. Best employment prospects and a solid LRAP.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:14 am

ArchRoark wrote:From my understanding to take advantage of Northwesterns LRAP you have to enter qualifying employment the first year out of LS (i.e working in biglaw and lateralling to PI work and managing the rest of your debt load with the LRAP wouldn't be an option). IMHO given your goals and desire to escape the south, I would take NU. Best employment prospects and a solid LRAP.

Well, if you're in Big Law, presumably you'd pay your loans down a ton in that 5 years to where they are gone or manageable at least.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:39 am

Flips88 wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:From my understanding to take advantage of Northwesterns LRAP you have to enter qualifying employment the first year out of LS (i.e working in biglaw and lateralling to PI work and managing the rest of your debt load with the LRAP wouldn't be an option). IMHO given your goals and desire to escape the south, I would take NU. Best employment prospects and a solid LRAP.

Well, if you're in Big Law, presumably you'd pay your loans down a ton in that 5 years to where they are gone or manageable at least.

The smarter plan would be to pay as little as possible, save a ton of money, then get on gov't IBR.

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:46 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

The smarter plan would be to pay as little as possible, save a ton of money, then get on gov't IBR.

I would like this if I could.

It makes no sense to pour money into a low-interest loan when you could get putting it into a combination of savings and investment. Then either IBR or just pay it back in one lump sum at a future date. Remember, money paid back on principal is money that could be paying your rent etc. if you lose your job.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”