Vandy, Wisconsin or Northwestern?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go!?

Vandy (COA ~$165k)
37%
Wisconsin (COA ~$100k
11%
Northwestern (COA ~220k)
53%

Total votes: 38

predent/prelaw

Re: Vandy, W&M, Wisconsin or wait out a bunch of T-14 wait lists

Postby predent/prelaw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:39 pm

Flips88 wrote:
rebexness wrote:If you hate the south so much, why consider Vandy?

I've heard nothing but great things about Nashville. I'm a big concert goer and Nashville's prestige as Music City is a big draw for me. That's why I need to visit to see if it feels different enough that I could be happy. However, it's also right by Murfreesburo where a bunch of hicks tried to sabotage the construction of a mosque. So I'm waiting to visit next weekend.

Yo Nashville is awesome its really not redneck city (go to Charlotte, NC lol). I am gay as hell and had soooo much fun in Nashville. I would never consider it though because I am trying to get out of the southern humid hell heat.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:25 am

predent/prelaw wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

I've heard nothing but great things about Nashville. I'm a big concert goer and Nashville's prestige as Music City is a big draw for me. That's why I need to visit to see if it feels different enough that I could be happy. However, it's also right by Murfreesburo where a bunch of hicks tried to sabotage the construction of a mosque. So I'm waiting to visit next weekend.

Yo Nashville is awesome its really not redneck city (go to Charlotte, NC lol). I am gay as hell and had soooo much fun in Nashville. I would never consider it though because I am trying to get out of the southern humid hell heat.

Ha I know what you mean about the humidity. 115 degrees and humid as hell sucks. DC is humid as hell too though.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:18 am

Bump. Updated with new scholarship offer from UW-Madison that includes a full in-state tuition waiver. Lowers the CoA by about $25k. Does this change anyone's vote or is everyone still thinking Vandy?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:49 pm

Flips88 wrote:Bump. Updated with new scholarship offer from UW-Madison that includes a full in-state tuition waiver. Lowers the CoA by about $25k. Does this change anyone's vote or is everyone still thinking Vandy?

Still voted "Vandy Plus" for the same reasons as my last post.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:05 pm

kapachino wrote:Defer at Vandy, do some political work, or work/volunteer abroad, and reapply. How was your LSAT? If you're set on going this year, then go where you have money (Vandy and American). I think your goal is to work PI in DC, yes? That's why I suggest taking a year off. You can learn from what you didn't do right this time, and hopefully increase your chances in the next cycle.

I believe a deferral at Vandy is binding so if you take it that's it and can't apply anywhere else.

TheFactor

Re: Vandy, Wisconsin or wait out a bunch of T-14 wait lists

Postby TheFactor » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:54 pm

Anyone know how easy (or hard) it is to defer at Vandy?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:26 pm

Bump because I was just accepted after being held at Northwestern. I need to get the financial aid form in ASAP, but I doubt I get much if any aid at this point in the game. So the new poll reflects my current options. I have till May 1st for Wisco, May 2nd for Vandy, and May 6th for NW.

Thoughts!?!?!?

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:27 pm

I voted for Northwestern.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:35 pm

Thirteen wrote:I voted for Northwestern.

ETA: congratufuckinglations

gov

Postby gov » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:43 pm

I am sure you can guess what I voted for.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:44 pm

gov wrote:I am sure you can guess what I voted for.

:mrgreen:

Tarheel10

Postby Tarheel10 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:45 pm

Had choice between Vandy with $50k, Northwestern at sticker, Cornell with $30k, Penn at sticker, and Georgetown at sticker, and I'm choosing Vandy. I don't think Northwestern is worth $60,000 more, but I have bias toward Vandy. I just know that I never even considered paying full price for Northwestern. I decided I didn't want to pay full price anywhere, actually. I didn't get into T6, though, and I likely would have gone there at sticker. Northwestern at roughly $227,000? No thanks. They're not particularly known for PI, either.

red_alertz

Re: Vandy, Wisconsin or Northwestern?

Postby red_alertz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:43 pm

I think you should retake OP

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:44 pm

red_alertz wrote:I think you should retake OP

Red_alertz, GTFO my thread, you trollin' SOB

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:50 pm

Tarheel10 wrote:Had choice between Vandy with $50k, Northwestern at sticker, Cornell with $30k, Penn at sticker, and Georgetown at sticker, and I'm choosing Vandy. I don't think Northwestern is worth $60,000 more, but I have bias toward Vandy. I just know that I never even considered paying full price for Northwestern. I decided I didn't want to pay full price anywhere, actually. I didn't get into T6, though, and I likely would have gone there at sticker. Northwestern at roughly $227,000? No thanks. They're not particularly known for PI, either.

I saw via your post history that you will have a family company paying the rest of your COA for Vandy, so I don't think our situations are very comparable.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:52 pm

Flipper:
I voted Vandy b/c you said you wanted DC or Chicago. NU will give you chicago- but its a ton of money. If you do well at vandy it will have to strength to carry you pretty far ( so will NU obvously), but Vandy will save you money. I would consider Wisc bc of the cost but it wont go as far as the other two. Since your heart is set on GULC- ride the waitlists. Double check your dates bc i think May 1 is a Sunday- so it may be that you have to deposit on friday april 29th, or monday may 2.

If costs were the same- id go with NU, but 50K is a good amount of money to pass up. HTH

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:53 pm

Flips88 wrote:

Nashville is nice to visit, but I don't think you'd like living there. Vandy seems a little buttoned up, too. Eh. I think you should bite that 45K bullet and go to Northwestern. I'm totally biased, though.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:55 pm

northwood wrote:Flipper:
I voted Vandy b/c you said you wanted DC or Chicago. NU will give you chicago- but its a ton of money. If you do well at vandy it will have to strength to carry you pretty far ( so will NU obvously), but Vandy will save you money. I would consider Wisc bc of the cost but it wont go as far as the other two. Since your heart is set on GULC- ride the waitlists. Double check your dates bc i think May 1 is a Sunday- so it may be that you have to deposit on friday april 29th, or monday may 2.

If costs were the same- id go with NU, but 50K is a good amount of money to pass up. HTH

Thanks for the thoughts. Wisconsin just has a form you have to fill out by the end of May 1st (read: no monetary deposit). Vandy has a $750 deposit due on May 2nd. And I have to decide on NW by May 6th.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:56 pm

If Chicago is one for your dream markets, I think NU is the obvious choice. PI orgs can be prestige whores, and NU's LRAP is amazing for those who make a normal PI salary.

Vandy might limit your options to the south which you hate.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:57 pm

Flips88 wrote:
northwood wrote:Flipper:

Thanks for the thoughts. Wisconsin just has a form you have to fill out by the end of May 1st (read: no monetary deposit). Vandy has a $750 deposit due on May 2nd. And I have to decide on NW by May 6th.

if retake isn't an option, go with Vandy, you will do well and rank high in that school, i have faith in you

gov

Postby gov » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:58 pm

Flips88 wrote:Thanks for the thoughts. Wisconsin just has a form you have to fill out by the end of May 1st (read: no monetary deposit). Vandy has a $750 deposit due on May 2nd. And I have to decide on NW by May 6th.

I think you should make your decision assuming sticker. (Pretty sure they gave out all the $$??)
Either way, the LRAP IS good, but I know that even for how much I want it, 200k is hard to swallow.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:58 pm

red_alertz wrote:if retake isn't an option, go with Vandy, you will do well and rank high in that school, i have faith in you

Well if you say Vandy, then I know not to pick Vandy.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Flips88 wrote:
red_alertz wrote:if retake isn't an option, go with Vandy, you will do well and rank high in that school, i have faith in you

Well if you say Vandy, then I know not to pick Vandy.

read northwood's post, i think it's very reasonable, quit hating on me, just trying to help u out

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:00 pm

actually if you hate the south flipper- then NU is a wise choice mr. owl.

Tarheel10

Postby Tarheel10 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:03 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Tarheel10 wrote:Had choice between Vandy with $50k, Northwestern at sticker, Cornell with $30k, Penn at sticker, and Georgetown at sticker, and I'm choosing Vandy. I don't think Northwestern is worth $60,000 more, but I have bias toward Vandy. I just know that I never even considered paying full price for Northwestern. I decided I didn't want to pay full price anywhere, actually. I didn't get into T6, though, and I likely would have gone there at sticker. Northwestern at roughly $227,000? No thanks. They're not particularly known for PI, either.

I saw via your post history that you will have a family company paying the rest of your COA for Vandy, so I don't think our situations are very comparable.

Fair enough, though I think the post history will also show that I was already thinking that before the offer from the company came through. I did not plan on any assistance from company or family going in, and I planned on only paying sticker if I got NYU or maybe Berkeley (similar interests in PI). However, I am more concerned with keeping options open than you seem to be, so I didn't want to feel forced into either semi-permanent PI or pursuit of big law. If you are set on PI, then I do think that Northwestern is the answer. I also would much rather live in Nashville than Chicago, but I think almost everyone would think I'm crazy for that.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”