Ole Miss, LSU, or South Carolina?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where shall I go?

Ole Miss
35%
LSU
29%
South Carolina
35%

Total votes: 17

legalprincess

Ole Miss, LSU, or South Carolina?

Postby legalprincess » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:40 pm

Alright everyone, it's either Ole Miss, LSU, or South Carolina--where shall I go?
With scholarships, all three are roughly the same price. Here's the tricky part--I have no idea where I want to practice, or even if I will end up practicing. I'm presently engaged to an investment banker, and him and I live in a super small city where there are no law firms with more than four lawyers. Needless to say, if I come back home after law school, my only option will most likely be to start my own practice. The only reason I wouldn't come back home (other than if him and I broke up) would be because he got transferred, and in that case, there's no telling where we would end up, so it's hard to factor that into choosing a law school.
Realistically, my choice largely hinges on where would give me the most pleasant lifestyle for the next three years. I like warm weather, I hate traffic (the biggest strike against LSU), and I want a good work/life balance (i.e. I want time to go drink and classmates who will go with me!).
Thoughts?

bearsfan1

Re: Ole Miss, LSU, or South Carolina?

Postby bearsfan1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:45 pm

legalprincess wrote:Alright everyone, it's either Ole Miss, LSU, or South Carolina--where shall I go?
With scholarships, all three are roughly the same price. Here's the tricky part--I have no idea where I want to practice, or even if I will end up practicing. I'm presently engaged to an investment banker, and him and I live in a super small city where there are no law firms with more than four lawyers. Needless to say, if I come back home after law school, my only option will most likely be to start my own practice. The only reason I wouldn't come back home (other than if him and I broke up) would be because he got transferred, and in that case, there's no telling where we would end up, so it's hard to factor that into choosing a law school.
Realistically, my choice largely hinges on where would give me the most pleasant lifestyle for the next three years. I like warm weather, I hate traffic (the biggest strike against LSU), and I want a good work/life balance (i.e. I want time to go drink and classmates who will go with me!).
Thoughts?

If I were you, I would attend whatever school is closest to where you and your boyfriend currently reside.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:48 pm

I would second the notion of staying close. These schools are pretty much the same and with your scholarships will cost the same.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:51 pm

LSU competes with Tulane and Loyola, Ole Miss competes with Mississippi College, South Carolina dominates SC.

legalprincess

Postby legalprincess » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:45 pm

I can't decide if I want to stay close or not...
I went off to an undergrad close to home. Then I ended up transferring to the undegrad IN my hometown. Now I live AT home. As in, I'm sitting in my childhood bedroom, looking out at the same tennis court I learned to play on when I was five. I'm looking at a lifetime of living within three hours of Mommy and Daddy. I do love my Rebels, but honestly, I'm not sure I like my proximity to Ole Miss (the school closest to home)!

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Don't go. None are good choices, you will save cash and if he gets transferred somewhere removed from your LS area you will be completely screwed.

jdl239

Postby jdl239 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:55 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:LSU competes with Tulane and Loyola, Ole Miss competes with Mississippi College, South Carolina dominates SC.

Fred, when you say Ole Miss competes with Miss College. What kind of competition is there really. I am trying to decide between Ole Miss at in-state tuition and Miss College with $$ so the tutition would be the same. I know both has pros and cons. I know the students at Miss College gets some good connections being in downtown Jackson. But it seems like the bigger and more powerful alumni base comes from Ole Miss. Im stressed out. Seat deposits or due soon and I am definately torn between the two. I know nobody in oxford. I have a good solid friend base in jackson along with my girl in Medical School so I would be comfortable living there which I think would help my grades. Would this be career suicide if i chose MC over Ole Miss?

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:58 pm

Honestly, I'm the wrong person to ask, I don't know very much about the Mississippi legal market except that Mississippi College is a strong contender to Ole Miss in the state and apparently does well in Jackson. I did some research into larger firms in the region and saw some MC grads at larger firms. If I had to choose, I'd do Ole Miss in a heartbeat because I think it's a better school overall, has the best alumni network in the state, and I'd kill to live in Oxford for a time.

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:13 am

legalprincess wrote:Alright everyone, it's either Ole Miss, LSU, or South Carolina--where shall I go?
Thoughts?

I gotta go with Ole Miss here:
1. If you lose your scholarship, it's by far the cheapest (I can't tell if you're a MS resident but either way, OOS tuition and COL are by far the cheapest).
2. It's closest to home. Even if you're not set on returning home, it doesn't seem like you have a burning desire to live in SC or LA. At least you'll have your friends and family nearby.
3. Highest quality of life of the three and probably the most fun.
4. If traffic is really a legitimate concern for you, Ole Miss wins hands down.

Side note: Don't go to law school just to get out of the parents' house for a few years. Even if you're boyfriend makes good money. I don't know you and I'm not in law school yet myself, but I'd be willing to bet that law school will have a negative effect on any relationship.

legalprincess

Postby legalprincess » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:20 am

Thanks EricBerry! I was kinda' leaning towards Ole Miss (mainly because I've been wearing Ole Miss T-shirts since elementary school:). A part of me feels bad about the idea of having never been outside the midsouth, but I can always go buy a summer condo in Hilton Head eventually.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:28 am

Mississippi because of the traffic in Columbia & Baton Rouge. Also it might be a bit challenging to gain full acceptance in small town (parish) Louisiana without family there. Northern Louisiana has a strict Baptist presence while the Southern portion of the state offers Cajun cooking & good times.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”