Another One of These: UMich (45k) vs Vandy (72k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Choose

Michigan $
68
86%
Vandy $$
11
14%
 
Total votes: 79

backtothebeat
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Another One of These: UMich (45k) vs Vandy (72k)

Postby backtothebeat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:45 pm

alright, sorry to post yet another one of these but the only other thread i found was Vandy vs T14 and this is a little more specific.

I'm coming out of UG with no debt. i have ties to boston and new york but i am not 100% locked in on going to either one of those cities. my goals are similar to most: i would like to pay off my loans doing biglaw and then after that who knows. i visited vandy and liked it a lot, and haven't visited umich yet.

what would you do?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Another One of These: UMich (45k) vs Vandy (72k)

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:58 pm

UMich since you want biglaw.

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Another One of These: UMich (45k) vs Vandy (72k)

Postby dabbadon8 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Vandy is 10,500 more expensive then umich already so vandy is only 16.5k cheaper.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Another One of These: UMich (45k) vs Vandy (72k)

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:07 pm

By biglaw do you mean just a high paying firm or only the NLJ250?

Also, be aware that big law is not guaranteed from either.

backtothebeat
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: Another One of These: UMich (45k) vs Vandy (72k)

Postby backtothebeat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:11 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:Vandy is 10,500 more expensive then umich already so vandy is only 16.5k cheaper.


maybe my numbers are wrong but i have vandy's tuition as $45,750 and UMich's as $47,600.

Aberzombie1892 wrote:By biglaw do you mean just a high paying firm or only the NLJ250?

Also, be aware that big law is not guaranteed from either.


High paying firm.

What have people heard about overall QoL at UMich? Vandy seemed to have a really good balance of work / social life. I know I'm there to study but I also want a student body that wants to go out on Friday and Saturday nights. Also I feel like I'm still on a high after Vandy's ASW so that could be clouding my judgment.

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Another One of These: UMich (45k) vs Vandy (72k)

Postby dabbadon8 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:19 pm

backtothebeat wrote:
maybe my numbers are wrong but i have vandy's tuition as $45,750 and UMich's as $47,600.




Yeah tuition is more, but total COA is 3,300 less per year by the estimates provided by both schools.

UMich:$65,350
Vandy:$68,664

User avatar
cucullu
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:03 am

Re: Another One of These: UMich (45k) vs Vandy (72k)

Postby cucullu » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:19 am

dabbadon8 wrote:
backtothebeat wrote:
maybe my numbers are wrong but i have vandy's tuition as $45,750 and UMich's as $47,600.




Yeah tuition is more, but total COA is 3,300 less per year by the estimates provided by both schools.

UMich:$65,350
Vandy:$68,664


Just to note: Vandy Financial Aid noted specifically in their ASW talk that they go with higher estimates that most schools for everything in their COL estimates (probably to give you some wiggle room in your loans), but that if you'd rather live on a more modest budget, you could live well within/under their estimate.

Would getting one of the 86K schollys from Vandy make your decision easier? If so, ask Vandy if they can bump your scholarship up a bit. (You seriously should ask. PM me if you'd like to discuss.)

FWIW, Vandy and Michigan are two of my top choices as well, and the reputation I've heard of both is that they are two of the friendliest and happiest schools in the T20. Good luck with your decision! I know a number of people at Vandy, and I can say that your hope for "people who also go out on Fri/Sat night" would be realized at Vandy. Can't comment on Michigan.

tarakit
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:24 am

Re: Another One of These: UMich (45k) vs Vandy (72k)

Postby tarakit » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:50 am

I really think you'll be able to get the placement you want out of Vanderbilt with no problem. I talked to several students trying to place on the East Coast that had jobs in Boston, etc. after their 1L year.

Also, I would keep in mind with this poll that TLS seems to be obsessed with Michigan and normally recommends it to people under any circumstance.

30K a year is kind of a lot of money, whatever TLS tells you... and I doubt you would spend the full CoA at Vanderbilt unless you living in a single at the Grove all three years.

QoL at Vandy seems awesome.

It's cold in Michigan. Really cold.

Disclaimer: I already sent in my seat deposit at Vandy after the ASW.

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: Another One of These: UMich (45k) vs Vandy (72k)

Postby dabbadon8 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:23 pm

tarakit wrote:I really think you'll be able to get the placement you want out of Vanderbilt with no problem. I talked to several students trying to place on the East Coast that had jobs in Boston, etc. after their 1L year.

Also, I would keep in mind with this poll that TLS seems to be obsessed with Michigan and normally recommends it to people under any circumstance.

30K a year is kind of a lot of money, whatever TLS tells you... and I doubt you would spend the full CoA at Vanderbilt unless you living in a single at the Grove all three years.

QoL at Vandy seems awesome.

It's cold in Michigan. Really cold.

Disclaimer: I already sent in my seat deposit at Vandy after the ASW.


It's not 30k a year that is total. I think I would pay 30k more for michigan unless I really liked vandy. Historically umich places better into biglaw and clerkships. You can also live well under mich's COL estimate so that isn't unique. With the price difference you could justify either one, but I think that even with the price difference mich is a better value.

backtothebeat
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: Another One of These: UMich (45k) vs Vandy (72k)

Postby backtothebeat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks everyone for the responses, they have definitely been helpful. I'm going to e-mail Michigan today and try and set up an individual visit soon. Hopefully after that I'll have a better idea, or else I might just have to flip a coin. cucullu I'm gonna send a PM your way about negotiating Vandy's offer

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Another One of These: UMich (45k) vs Vandy (72k)

Postby Attorney » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:52 pm

backtothebeat wrote:or else I might just have to flip a coin.

:? The vote is 85% Michigan, 15% Vanderbilt. I'm not sure this is a coin flipping type of situation you're in.

backtothebeat
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: Another One of These: UMich (45k) vs Vandy (72k)

Postby backtothebeat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:04 pm

haha ok so maybe a coin weighted 85% to one side :)

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Another One of These: UMich (45k) vs Vandy (72k)

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Well, I'd obviously choose Michigan (I will be going there in 2 months :shock: ) but it really depends on region. I've been looking at firms that hire 1Ls for the summer on the NALP directory and it is very regional like people on here say so I think the region should play a role. If you are unable to get a NYC biglaw job and have to do smaller, local firm would you rather be in the Midwest or the South?

tarakit
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:24 am

Re: Another One of These: UMich (45k) vs Vandy (72k)

Postby tarakit » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:33 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
tarakit wrote:I really think you'll be able to get the placement you want out of Vanderbilt with no problem. I talked to several students trying to place on the East Coast that had jobs in Boston, etc. after their 1L year.

Also, I would keep in mind with this poll that TLS seems to be obsessed with Michigan and normally recommends it to people under any circumstance.

30K a year is kind of a lot of money, whatever TLS tells you... and I doubt you would spend the full CoA at Vanderbilt unless you living in a single at the Grove all three years.

QoL at Vandy seems awesome.

It's cold in Michigan. Really cold.

Disclaimer: I already sent in my seat deposit at Vandy after the ASW.


It's not 30k a year that is total. I think I would pay 30k more for michigan unless I really liked vandy. Historically umich places better into biglaw and clerkships. You can also live well under mich's COL estimate so that isn't unique. With the price difference you could justify either one, but I think that even with the price difference mich is a better value.


Right. I definitely read that wrong.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Another One of These: UMich (45k) vs Vandy (72k)

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:53 pm

"What would you do? "

I would visit Michigan. Then decide.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Another One of These: UMich (45k) vs Vandy (72k)

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:40 pm

Crap. Meant to pm someone, necro'd a thread. Carry on.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Another One of These: UMich (45k) vs Vandy (72k)

Postby 20130312 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:55 pm

backtothebeat wrote:haha ok so maybe a coin weighted 85% to one side :)


You can do this in Excel.

ETA: Darnit, franky!




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 2 guests