UNC vs. Texas Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fish tacos

Bronze

UNC vs. Texas

Post by fish tacos » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:05 pm

I was pretty set to go to UNC until I got the call last Wednesday from Dean Ingram informing me I'd been accepted to UT. I'm in-state at UNC and have a stipulation-free 75% scholarship, and through the generosity of my parents I'd graduate without any debt. I'm still waiting for my acceptance packet from UT to see if I get any money at all (longshot... MAYBE in-state), but for now I'll just assume I'm paying full out-of-state tuition, which with my family contributions would put total debt after COA for 3 years around 140k (estimate). What would you choose?

I'd like to stay in the south after graduation, pretty much a broad swath of secondary markets from Texas to DC. I'd prefer something on the eastern side of that swath (ATL, Nashville, Charlotte/Raleigh, Richmond, DC) but I wouldn't mind Texas at all if the job was right. I know Texas has higher employment rates and better biglaw placement (which I suppose is my ultimate goal), but is it worth passing up the chance to stay close to home and graduate debt-free from a T30?

Thanks for your input. I can provide additional info if people would like to know more.

Pricer

Silver

Re: UNC vs. Texas

Post by Pricer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:54 pm

For an idea of what you will get at UT, you can check your numbers against the ones on LSN. My scholarship ended up being the same as the other OOS students with my numbers. Their merit aid seems to be pretty consistent.

http://texas.lawschoolnumbers.com/appli ... order=desc

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:02 pm

Given your desire to stay in the South Atlantic (which I believe is what you are saying), UNC seems like the choice for you. Out of curiosity would your parents pick up part of the bill at Texas as well? Or only for UNC? Because if your parents would make that Texas price tag a bit less and you are considering shooting for a larger market than Charlotte or Raleigh, I'd go with UT.

dddhhh

Bronze

Post by dddhhh » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:07 pm

If your ultimate goal is biglaw, I vote UT.

fish tacos

Bronze

Post by fish tacos » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:38 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:Given your desire to stay in the South Atlantic (which I believe is what you are saying), UNC seems like the choice for you. Out of curiosity would your parents pick up part of the bill at Texas as well? Or only for UNC? Because if your parents would make that Texas price tag a bit less and you are considering shooting for a larger market than Charlotte or Raleigh, I'd go with UT.
They would help out at either school, which is why the estimated COA at UT would be ~140k as opposed to the 60k per year the website claims.

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess a way to simplify the question could be to ask, "How is UT in getting back to the South Atlantic region if one has ties to NC?" Would a firm in ATL/Charlotte/Charleston/NoVa etc prefer a UT grad to a UNC grad, or at that point would it just depend on the person and their achievements? Obviously UNC will not fare better than UT in Texas, but would UT edge out UNC even on UNC's turf? And if yes, is that edge worth the money?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:01 pm

fish tacos wrote: Would a firm in ATL/Charlotte/Charleston/NoVa etc prefer a UT grad to a UNC grad, or at that point would it just depend on the person and their achievements? Obviously UNC will not fare better than UT in Texas, but would UT edge out UNC even on UNC's turf? And if yes, is that edge worth the money?
They wouldn't prefer a UT grad over a UNC grad. If you are focused on the South Atlantic, with the exception of Atlanta, being a UT grad wouldn't help you enough to warrant the extra cost.

charliebrownwn

New

Post by charliebrownwn » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:39 am

UNC's turf is mostly, well, in NC. So for the rest of the south, you would really be in neither school's home region (Nashville is Vandy territory, northern Virginia has its own schools, etc.). UT has a pretty sizeable edge in national reputation over UNC, so you would be better off at UT if you aimed for somewhere outside of NC.

fish tacos

Bronze

Post by fish tacos » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:55 pm

Still losing sleep over this one.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:58 pm

fish tacos wrote:Still losing sleep over this one.
Have you visited UT?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

innernetp

Bronze

Post by innernetp » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:01 pm

fish tacos wrote:Still losing sleep over this one.
Hey fish tacos. I'm in a very similar boat to you. Chancellor's scholars versus UT at sticker unless they up the offer.

I went and visited. Really, I just didn't feel that the difference in cost was justified; the class size and other factors scared me off. If I knew that I wanted to practice in Texas for the next fifteen years then I'd feel much better about the decision. And I do think that UT is pretty portable to biglaw in other areas... but I don't think that Carolina will necessarily hamper you, either. Especially if you're at the top of your class. AND if you're not as worried about debt and can enjoy your time there more.

We're both coming from UNC, I wonder if we met at the weekend?

Anyway, visiting Austin was easily one of the most stressful few days of my entire life. Not because Austin wasn't great, but because I was coming to terms with the fact that going there at sticker was just not justified given my goals and other options.

My two cents.

EDIT: feel free to PM.

adamtx11

New

Post by adamtx11 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:59 am

Given what you want, I'd say UNC for sure

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”