Please help! IU-B, Vandy, WUSTL

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

IU-B Full tuition +3k a year
6%
Vandy 72k
52%
WUSTL 114k
42%

Total votes: 31

Michael Bluth

Please help! IU-B, Vandy, WUSTL

Postby Michael Bluth » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:52 pm

Hey guys, really sweating over this one. Originally from the Midwest but I went to college in the Deep South. I enjoyed my time at college but I think I'm honestly a Midwestern boy at heart. I'd probably pursue BigLaw if I have the grades, but it's not a big deal to me at all - all I want is to be able to get a nice job and pay off my debts. Chicago is my favorite city in the world and I'd certainly practice there if I got the chance. I also like Atlanta, but I'm not sure I would want to work somewhere like DC. I'm fairly debt-averse but I don't have any undergrad debts, so take that for whatever it's worth. I've been to both St. Louis and Nashville several times and enjoy them both. I probably wouldn't pick IU, but I figured I'd keep them on there anyway. Please explain your answers and I really appreciate your time!
Last edited by Michael Bluth on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MyManKanye

Re: Please help! IU-B, Vandy, WashU

Postby MyManKanye » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:54 pm

From what I understand Vandy outdoes itself based on rank in national placements. Wash U is strong in the midwest, but has little pull anywhere else. If I was in at Vandy I'd take it over WUSTL just for the additional opportunities. The costs aren't massively different.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:15 pm

WUSTL may be able to get you to the south, especially with ties, but I don't know that I would bank on it. If you know for sure you would be happy in the midwest, then save yourself the money and go to WUSTL. If having a solid shot at getting a job in the south is important to you, then Vandy is probably worth the extra money.

I wouldn't go to IU-B unless you want to work in Indiana.

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:35 pm

It seems like the people that I've talked to IRL are trending towards WashU while people on here generally defer to Vanderbilt. I know that Vandy places demonstrably better, but I don't know if I can get over that discrepancy in offers.

stylishlaw

Postby stylishlaw » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:46 pm

Should visit the schools. I'm in the same situation, Vandy vs. WUSTL but with significantly less money but the same difference between the two schools (~45k)

Depends on your career goals really. I'm leaning towards Vandy given I want NYC biglaw.

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:10 pm

stylishlaw wrote:Should visit the schools. I'm in the same situation, Vandy vs. WUSTL but with significantly less money but the same difference between the two schools (~45k)

Depends on your career goals really. I'm leaning towards Vandy given I want NYC biglaw.

Yeah that's what's kind of pushing me towards WUSTL because I don't have any real interest in NYC and I'd be more than happy almost anywhere in the Midwest. Whereas down South I tend to be a bit more picky.

McLusky

Re: Please help! IU-B, Vandy, WUSTL

Postby McLusky » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:34 pm

Your username and your avatar represent two of my all time favorite shows.

That is all I have to say.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Vandy.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:02 pm

1) Your a midwest boy. WUSTL
2) You love Chicago. WUSTL
3) No interest in NYC. WUSTL
4) Atlanta? Either.
5) If you DID want to work in DC, WUSTL has a DC Clinic that puts you directly there. Easy.
6) $$$$. WUSTL

To me, this is not a hard decision.
Also.. I go to WUSTL. You can very easily get to CHI from here. Heck I'm getting to SanFran from here.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:26 pm

fl0w wrote:1) Your a midwest boy. WUSTL
2) You love Chicago. WUSTL
3) No interest in NYC. WUSTL
4) Atlanta? Either.
5) If you DID want to work in DC, WUSTL has a DC Clinic that puts you directly there. Easy.
6) $$$$. WUSTL

To me, this is not a hard decision.
Also.. I go to WUSTL. You can very easily get to CHI from here. Heck I'm getting to SanFran from here.

agree with this

Michael Bluth wrote:I'm honestly a Midwestern boy at heart.
= go to one of the best schools in the Midwest. Also St. Louis is sweet. Plus nearly free education = duh.

Vandy gets a ton of love because they beat out wustl badly in biglaw and because last year they beat a few t14s in nlj 250 and because it is a fun school that is doing a lot for transparency and for students.

Wustl gets hated on because their nlj numbers are below their usnews rank. but that doesnt seem to matter to you so much.

This is easy no-brainer: midwest + a bunch more money = enjoy wash u

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:33 pm

I don't think this is necessarily as easy as it seems. While WUSTL is a top midwestern school, it is still a peer of Illinois and ND. Vandy definitely sits atop all of them, but I don't know how hard/easy it is to get Chicago coming from Vandy.

What is a nice job to you?

Michael Bluth

Postby Michael Bluth » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:15 pm

bk1 wrote:I don't think this is necessarily as easy as it seems. While WUSTL is a top midwestern school, it is still a peer of Illinois and ND. Vandy definitely sits atop all of them, but I don't know how hard/easy it is to get Chicago coming from Vandy.

In a perfect world, I'd like to be working at a private firm with a starting salary somewhere around 6 figures, but it's not like I'd be freaking out if I started around 70k or something. I also realize that my money will go much further in some places, so something like $85,000 in STL will be roughly similar to $120,000 in NYC or DC. All I'm really looking for is stability and compensation commensurate to the work I put in. I love Chicago, like Atlanta and St. Louis, and am really only seriously averse to the West Coast, though, as I said, NYC wouldn't be my first choice.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:45 pm

I'd say WUSTL

p.s. can you hurry up and pull out at IUB so I can have a shot at your spot

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:56 pm

Michael Bluth wrote:
bk1 wrote:I don't think this is necessarily as easy as it seems. While WUSTL is a top midwestern school, it is still a peer of Illinois and ND. Vandy definitely sits atop all of them, but I don't know how hard/easy it is to get Chicago coming from Vandy.

In a perfect world, I'd like to be working at a private firm with a starting salary somewhere around 6 figures, but it's not like I'd be freaking out if I started around 70k or something. I also realize that my money will go much further in some places, so something like $85,000 in STL will be roughly similar to $120,000 in NYC or DC. All I'm really looking for is stability and compensation commensurate to the work I put in. I love Chicago, like Atlanta and St. Louis, and am really only seriously averse to the West Coast, though, as I said, NYC wouldn't be my first choice.

If you're okay with Nashville I think I'd take Vandy as it will give you a much better chance at these sorts of jobs. I don't know how you'd do at Chicago or any of the southern cities you don't have ties to coming from Vandy.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”