Berkeley (sticker) vs. UT (full ride) vs. NU (full ride)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
juliachild-ish

Re: Berkeley (sticker) vs. UT (full ride) vs. NU (full ride)

Postby juliachild-ish » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:16 pm

bk1 wrote:Anybody else think it's funny that OP's dad will pay for half of law school whether that amounts to $30k or $100k?

I know it seems a little funny--it's sort of this odd bargain we struck. He has enough money to pay up to $100k, but we agreed that I should still have the majority share in paying for my education since it is, after all, my education. I'm sure if I begged him he would pay more, but I feel iffy about accepting any money in the first place, so a ratio seemed like a good compromise. I want to say that I paid for at least half of my education--I guess that's my irrational pride talking (a pattern emerges, haha).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Well there is no counting for irrationality. Unless your parole office makes you stay in NorCal it's a pretty terrible decision.

150K + 8% APR is a fuck load of money.

$545 a month for 25 years if you only make 60k, single no kids. My number is a lot lower if I only make $60k. If I make 160k then doesn't matter.

545 a month for 25 years is a lot of money when you figure how much that would earn in a retirement account.

And don't fall for the "if I get big law it doesn't matter." Even if you get big law, the average is only about 3-4 years before you leave. Maybe 5 if you fight tooth and nail.

And for what? A personal preference?

Well I didn't say biglaw, I said 160k. Also I would def. pay $545 a month for certain personal preferences. I am doing that now with various things.

Again this has nothing to do with the academic and professional values of the schools.

Caveat: I have been independent for 15 years earning every cent I spent along the way myself, so I am comfortable with the scenario. Again, should only apply to me.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:19 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:Yes, I'm indecisive in terms of which school to attend (aren't most people?) but not in terms of career goals. Which is why I don't really see why I need to attend, say, Harvard. I don't have very lofty career goals, so I don't necessarily need the boost that the Harvard prestige offers. I understand that both Harvard and Northwestern might open more doors, but those aren't doors that I'm really interested in, if you follow the metaphor.

rayiner, are you trying to make the point that anyone dating for two years should be planning to get married? Haha, maybe I'm getting old, but I've had multiple two-year relationships that weren't marriage material. If you like the person and are content with them, why break up? Unless it impedes your future plans, which is the decision I'm up against now.

lisjjen, I think you made a good summary, and I agree with your points.

Honestly, I do hate Chicago--I was just trying to be polite since there are many Chicagoans on here. I've been here for a year now, and haven't found much to like except the friendliness of the people (which is awesome).

So why are you even asking for anyone's help. You are basically saying nowhere but Berkeley is acceptable for personal reasons. So go. You know it's a dumb choice, but you are going to make it anyway.

I'm a little confused what you think Chicago lacks has that Arizona has unless you are talking about weather. Because the weather does suck unless you are used to it. Why'd you move here anyway?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Well there is no counting for irrationality. Unless your parole office makes you stay in NorCal it's a pretty terrible decision.

150K + 8% APR is a fuck load of money.

$545 a month for 25 years if you only make 60k, single no kids. My number is a lot lower if I only make $60k. If I make 160k then doesn't matter.

545 a month for 25 years is a lot of money when you figure how much that would earn in a retirement account.

And don't fall for the "if I get big law it doesn't matter." Even if you get big law, the average is only about 3-4 years before you leave. Maybe 5 if you fight tooth and nail.

And for what? A personal preference?

Well I didn't say biglaw, I said 160k. Also I would def. pay $545 a month for certain personal preferences. I am doing that now with various things.

Again this has nothing to do with the academic and professional values of the schools.

Caveat: I have been independent for 15 years earning every cent I spent along the way myself, so I am comfortable with the scenario. Again, should only apply to me.

545 for 25 years for three years of personal preference though. I think you'd regret it when you retired with a lot less money in the bank.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:21 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:Yes, I'm indecisive in terms of which school to attend (aren't most people?) but not in terms of career goals. Which is why I don't really see why I need to attend, say, Harvard. I don't have very lofty career goals, so I don't necessarily need the boost that the Harvard prestige offers. I understand that both Harvard and Northwestern might open more doors, but those aren't doors that I'm really interested in, if you follow the metaphor.

rayiner, are you trying to make the point that anyone dating for two years should be planning to get married? Haha, maybe I'm getting old, but I've had multiple two-year relationships that weren't marriage material. If you like the person and are content with them, why break up? Unless it impedes your future plans, which is the decision I'm up against now.

Re: Harvard. It will open every door more easily, no matter what you want to do. Even if you want to work in Arizona, don't you want to get the best job you can possibly get in Arizona? Harvard will get you there more easily than Berkeley or UT.

Re: boyfriend, you phrased it as: "I don't know if I want to marry him." Staying in a non-marriage track relationship is one thing, but not knowing whether you are in one or not after two years is lulzy.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:545 for 25 years for three years of personal preference though. I think you'd regret it when you retired with a lot less money in the bank.

Based on my projections, earnings from our retirement funds will outpace the actual earnings somewhere between 55-60, so we can retire comfortably (at pre-retirement standards) before 60, for both of us. This include $225k debt from law school.

ETA, without the debt, it would be a year or so earlier. But no big deal. So 1 extra year of working vs. 3 years of preference.
Last edited by r6_philly on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

akili

Postby akili » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:23 pm

I think your visit to Austin will help, tbh. It sounds like NU is not a good fit for what you want and that Berkeley is just too much money. If you love Austin (like I think you will), then you are good to go. If not, you'll have a really tough decision. :/

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Why do you think Harvard won't help you with local government?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Honestly, I do hate Chicago--I was just trying to be polite since there are many Chicagoans on here. I've been here for a year now, and haven't found much to like except the friendliness of the people (which is awesome).

It's pretty simple, as for the free law schools, what do you value more?

Relationship with SO - Then go to NU.
Not being in Chicago - Then go to UT.

This is pretty straightforward and not something that any of us can decide for you.

As for the best not free law school... it's Harvard here and Rayiner is right that it will open doors for you everywhere plus you have the school's fantastic LRAP to cover your costs (even if they are only $100k-$150k thanks to your father).

dukey

Postby dukey » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:25 pm

Go to Cal, but make sure you negotiate aid - inform them of HLS, NU ($$$), and UT ($$$) acceptances. It says they don't match with NU, but you should still keep them apprised of financial aid developments. Explain how you really would like to attend their school, but ...blah blah blah.

As for reasons to attend Cal - in addition to what you've pointed out, (better rep) I've visited both, and the environment @ Cal is clearly superior. Furthermore, you are pursuing environmental law, and Cal is >>>> NU in this field, not only for programmatic reasons, but also because it's next door to San Francisco.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:26 pm

I'll be interested to see what you'll decide.

End analysis, Austin is like Berkeley and the Silicon Hills are like the Silicon Valley. Being compared to something else is always a slight. Personally I'm going to Austin because I love Austin for being Austin. I agree with Akili that a visit might simplify everything. But making this choice is a great problem to have.

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

So why are you even asking for anyone's help. You are basically saying nowhere but Berkeley is acceptable for personal reasons. So go. You know it's a dumb choice, but you are going to make it anyway.

I'm a little confused what you think Chicago lacks has that Arizona has unless you are talking about weather. Because the weather does suck unless you are used to it. Why'd you move here anyway?

I guess I'm asking for help clarifying a few questions floating around in my head. How hard is it to leave Texas with a degree from UT? How do Berkeley and Northwestern's USNews rankings compare to their actual prestige and placement power? How bad are the prospects for paying off debt from Berkeley? Is Northwestern a bad fit for someone who's not interested in the corporate side of law?

I'm trying to balance personal reasons with sensible ones, and I was hoping to get other people's insights into the questions above.

I moved to Chicago to be with my SO, but I have kind of regretted it since I gave up a good job in AZ. Aside from the weather, Chicago really lacks serious outdoor recreation (Lakeshore Drive is about it); I'm used to great trailrunning, hiking, and mountain biking options. The COL in Chicago is also very high compared to AZ, which has been a hard adjustment for me to make. I find the public transportation system to be kind of slow and expensive, but driving is not really an option either, so it makes it hard to get around (compared to Phoenix, where, as bad environmentally as it may be, it's easy to drive and park anywhere).

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:28 pm

P.S. Prestige whores don't get that you don't want to go to Harvard. "haters gonna hate" doesn't even get close. You CHOSE not to go to Harvard.

In the words of Ron Burgundy "You turned down Harvard, and ate a whole wheel of cheese. How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing."

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:29 pm

are the schools in your profile the only ones you applied to? If so, too bad you didn't apply to other t14s so you could leverage the money from them...

PS - I climbed camelback this morning :)
Last edited by sarahlawg on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

akili

Postby akili » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:29 pm

Austin is extremely outdoorsy. Town Lake Trail, the Greenbelt, Zilker, etc...

I'll be shocked, SHOCKED if you don't fall in love with it.

About the ability to leave Texas with the degree, I think it won't be handed to you but AZ doesn't seem like to far of a reach, especially with your connections.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:32 pm

akili wrote:Austin is extremely outdoorsy. Town Lake Trail, the Greenbelt, Zilker, etc...

I'll be shocked, SHOCKED if you don't fall in love with it.

About the ability to leave Texas with the degree, I think it won't be handed to you but AZ doesn't seem like to far of a reach, especially with your connections.

With Harvard, going back to AZ will all but be handed to her. Don't underestimate how prestige-whorey law is as a profession.

I was at a FCC public meeting over the summer where the Chairmen announced his new staffers. Note that these are pretty high-level people in a niche industry, but hardly major power players in DC. One of the staffers went to Yale and was on Yale Law Journal, the other went to Stanford and was on Stanford Law Review. The Chairman himself went to Harvard, and was on Harvard Law Review (indeed he had served on HLR with Obama).

Again, don't be so short sighted. You want to work in Arizona, but are you sure you don't want to do any federal work in AZ? What if you get into law school and decide that you're really interested in water rights issues in the southwest and want to get a job at a place like NRDC? Harvard will give you those options. Berkeley, UT, and NU won't eliminate them, but you'll be on the outside looking in.
Last edited by rayiner on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dukey

Postby dukey » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:35 pm

How hard is it to leave Texas with a degree from UT?
Not easy at all in general. Probably not tough with your connects.
How do Berkeley and Northwestern's USNews rankings compare to their actual prestige and placement power?
Not a huge difference, but very significant for west coast law
How bad are the prospects for paying off debt from Berkeley?
It's bad everywhere, but take a look at loan repayment options; should be manageable.
Is Northwestern a bad fit for someone who's not interested in the corporate side of law?
Yes.

Aside from the weather, Chicago really lacks serious outdoor recreation (Lakeshore Drive is about it); I'm used to great trailrunning, hiking, and mountain biking options.
Outdoor recreation is great @ Cal.

I find the public transportation system to be kind of slow and expensive, but driving is not really an option either, so it makes it hard to get around (compared to Phoenix, where, as bad environmentally as it may be, it's easy to drive and park anywhere).
Cal students (at least for ugrad) get free bus passes - still annoying, but at least it's completely free transportation. BART is pretty ok if you're going to San Francisco.
Last edited by dukey on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:36 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I guess I'm asking for help clarifying a few questions floating around in my head. How hard is it to leave Texas with a degree from UT? How do Berkeley and Northwestern's USNews rankings compare to their actual prestige and placement power? How bad are the prospects for paying off debt from Berkeley? Is Northwestern a bad fit for someone who's not interested in the corporate side of law?

I'm trying to balance personal reasons with sensible ones, and I was hoping to get other people's insights into the questions above.

I moved to Chicago to be with my SO, but I have kind of regretted it since I gave up a good job in AZ. Aside from the weather, Chicago really lacks serious outdoor recreation (Lakeshore Drive is about it); I'm used to great trailrunning, hiking, and mountain biking options. The COL in Chicago is also very high compared to AZ, which has been a hard adjustment for me to make. I find the public transportation system to be kind of slow and expensive, but driving is not really an option either, so it makes it hard to get around (compared to Phoenix, where, as bad environmentally as it may be, it's easy to drive and park anywhere).

Well you have to leave the city if you want to do any serious outdoor recreation. It's a city for god's sake. Though Illinois is pretty flat and you have to drive a while for anything really hilly. But the surburbs, and even some of the city have forest preserves and running trails. Even if you leave you should check them out for the time being. Driving is definitely and option and in most of the city it's really the only option.

Do you live in River North, the Loop or Streeterville? More north, it's a lot more affordable and less like Manhattan.

Have you visited Austin? You might like it better and still won't have outrageous debt.

IvanFK

Postby IvanFK » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:54 pm

The COL at Berk is comparable to Chicago, and the public transportation system is arguably worse...fyi

but the weather is amazing compared to both Chicago and Austin

i love Berk...but hard to say that you should go there at sticker...you could save your dad money too, that money will go into HIS retirement eh?

LettuceBeefRealTea

Postby LettuceBeefRealTea » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:05 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Xavier or PCDS? Your decision making process sounds like every chick I knew at Xavier. Brophy grad btws.

I'm on the east coast, and I hate the cold too.
It sounds like your not as into your relationship as you used to be. Lettuce beef reality here, you've probably been looking at new prospects. I think you are using this thread for someone to justify/tell you that bailing on your significant other is a valid choice. No hate, I'm a realist when it comes to relationships (aka jaded man whore).

It sounds like money isn't an issue. Ignore everyone with the daddy bullshit. Yeah, it makes it a lot easier and is "unfair". That is life, deal with it. Its not like you are going to not use every advantage you have. I am in a similar situation, but I own a business that allows me to write off a lot of LS costs in taxes.

UT or Berkeley is going to put you ahead of the AZ game as long as you have the contacts you mentioned. I could never live full time in Phoenix after growing up there; I think it sucks but do your thing. In general, I think B is going to pack more of a punch in AZ. Most people are higher education illiterate there. The law community will still respect UT as a regional powerhouse, but it might suck if you decide that lawyering isn't for you and still want to live there. Having grown up in what sounds like similar circles, you will be dealing with all UofA, ASU, and Scottsdale people. That sounds like hell.

If I was in your shoes, I would scratch off NU. I would probably go Boalt. UT is very close, but I think you are partially paying for school contacts with people in business, engineering, etc. If one of those contacts gets me some extra business or better employee recruitment from that school, it will most likely pay for the tuition difference very quickly. Being in Silicon Valley is also a big plus for me.

money sounds like it doesn't matter (minimizing risk of loans) + relationship with SO is in the first stages of failing (staying somewhere she doesn't want to be is stupid)+ weather (kills NU)+ already has connections in AZ law (regional school rep doesn't matter) + possibility of bailing on law and/or AZ (general school rep becomes important) = Berkeley has a better risk/reward ratio.

That's my analysis.
Recognize the reality of the situation with the SO. Pick between Berkeley and UT. Done.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:16 pm

LettuceBeefRealTea wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Xavier or PCDS? Your decision making process sounds like every chick I knew at Xavier. Brophy grad btws.

I'm on the east coast, and I hate the cold too.
It sounds like your not as into your relationship as you used to be. Lettuce beef reality here, you've probably been looking at new prospects. I think you are using this thread for someone to justify/tell you that bailing on your significant other is a valid choice. No hate, I'm a realist when it comes to relationships (aka jaded man whore).

Honestly, screw NU, the NE, and snow. After I graduate from ug, I wouldn't go to Yale on a full ride. Real talk.
It sounds like money isn't an issue. Ignore everyone with the daddy bullshit. Yeah, it makes it a lot easier and is "unfair". That is life, deal with it. Its not like you are going to not use every advantage you have. I am in a similar situation, but I own a business that allows me to write off a lot of LS costs in taxes.

UT or Berkeley is going to put you ahead of the AZ game as long as you have the contacts you mentioned. I could never live full time in Phoenix after growing up there; I think it sucks but do your thing. In general, I think B is going to pack more of a punch in AZ. Most people are higher education illiterate there. The law community will still respect UT as a regional powerhouse, but it might suck if you decide that lawyering isn't for you and still want to live there. Having grown up in what sounds like similar circles, you will be dealing with all UofA, ASU, and Scottsdale people. That sounds like hell.

If I was in your shoes, I would scratch off NU. I would probably go Boalt. UT is very close, but I think you are partially paying for school contacts with people in business, engineering, etc. If one of those contacts gets me some extra business or better employee recruitment from that school, it will most likely pay for the tuition difference very quickly. Being in Silicon Valley is also a big plus for me.

money sounds like it doesn't matter (minimizing risk of loans) + relationship with SO is in the first stages of failing (staying somewhere she doesn't want to be is stupid)+ weather (kills NU)+ already has connections in AZ law (regional school rep doesn't matter) + possibility of bailing on law and/or AZ (general school rep becomes important) = Berkeley has a better risk/reward ratio.

That's my analysis.
Recognize the reality of the situation with the SO. Pick between Berkeley and UT. Done.

I'd make fun of you for being completely incomprehensible, but that trait will probably make your post very convincing to OP.

charliebrownwn

Postby charliebrownwn » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:30 pm

ITT: OP clearly states preferences, TLS assholes irrationally attack preferences in favor of US News rankings.

LettuceBeefRealTea

Postby LettuceBeefRealTea » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:36 pm

rayiner wrote:
I'd make fun of you for being completely incomprehensible, but that trait will probably make your post very convincing to OP.

partied thursday, rugby game/after party saturday, all nighter for an exam this morning.
running on amphetamines and wishes, bro.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:37 pm

charliebrownwn wrote:ITT: OP clearly states preferences, TLS assholes irrationally attack preferences in favor of US News rankings.

If we irrationally favored US News we'd be saying OMG T10 >>>>>> T12 LOLz.

OP didn't clearly state anything.

Paying sticker when you have a full ride at a t13 and a t18 is stupid.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:40 pm

charliebrownwn wrote:ITT: OP clearly states preferences, TLS assholes irrationally attack preferences in favor of US News rankings.

ITT: OP asks for and then rejects TLS's help.

Also, most people in this thread are telling OP to minimize debt and go to the lower ranked school. The pro-Harvard posts, including mine, are specifically challenging OP's assumption that Harvard will not help her get a government job in Arizona.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”