Deathmatch!: William & Mary ($$) vs. Notre Dame ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go to school in the fall?

William and Mary
60
57%
Notre Dame
46
43%
 
Total votes: 106

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Deathmatch!: William & Mary ($$) vs. Notre Dame ($$)

Postby Attorney » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:59 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Attorney wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
Attorney wrote:
BC on the other hand is 15 or 20 minutes from the heart of Boston.


More like 40 realistically depending on what you mean by the heart of Boston.

Obviously, I mean Cambridge when I say "the heart of Boston". Wait, that doesn't make any sense.

Also to the OP, sorry I commented on this thread before but didn't notice the GPA bling at first blush. To me, that changes everything wrt advice here.


What? To Cambridge from BC is probably around an hour and 10 depending on whether you jump off the T to get the bus or try to go all the way downtown before going back out.

You're talking about the T and mass transit, which is fine, but many BC students (unlike BU students) have a car and just drive to these places. Depending on traffic, it's probably 15-20 minutes to Cambridge from BC Law or 20-25 to downtown Boston. At rush hour, double or triple that I'm sure.

ENGINEERD
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Deathmatch!: William & Mary ($$) vs. Notre Dame ($$)

Postby ENGINEERD » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:57 am

Blindmelon wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:As much as I hated hearing it during my cycle, you should retake. You have a great gpa and a 167+ LSAT would put you in great shape. Although I do not regret ignoring this advise, I think in your case it is TCR.

If that is not an option for you then it just comes down to where you want to work:

DC- W&M>ND
NY- toss up, but prob ND because of alumni network
BC- ? toss up
Chi (midwest)- ND
West coast- ND

I do not know anything about PI at W&M but ND does offer opportunities to get involved in PI while in school and it seems like a lot students go this route after graduating. If your open to working anywhere, career prospects are probably better coming from ND. ND is also semi-national and will give you more flexibility. It does not place like a T14 (~T15) but there are pockets (LA, NY, Chi, Miami..) across the nation where ND has a strong reputation.

At the end of the day the decision between ND and W&M is not going to make or break your legal career so just make the most informed decision you can and run with it. GL!


Uh... ND over BC for NYC is hilarious. BC pwns ND in the Northeast.


By BC i meant boston (dont know why I wrote BC, long day)

was never comparing ND and BC. but BC (Boston College) doesn't pwn anyone in NYC

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Deathmatch!: William & Mary ($$) vs. Notre Dame ($$)

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:04 am

This thread is about comparing Notre Dame to William and Mary. I'm confused as to how BC got involved, although I perpetuated it a bit myself.

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Deathmatch!: William & Mary ($$) vs. Notre Dame ($$)

Postby Attorney » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:05 am

ndirish2010 wrote:This thread is about comparing Notre Dame to William and Mary. I'm confused as to how BC got involved, although I perpetuated it a bit myself.

OP is also still waiting to hear from BC, BU, and WUSTL.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Deathmatch!: William & Mary ($$) vs. Notre Dame ($$)

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:17 am

From my understanding:

NY: BU>BC>>WUSTL = ND > W&M
Chicago/Midwest: ND ~ WUSTL >> BC = BU > W&M
Boston: BC = BU >>> ND = WUSTL = W&M
West Coast: ND>WUSTL>>BC = BU = W&M\
DC: W&M>BC=BU >WUSTL = ND

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Deathmatch!: William & Mary ($$) vs. Notre Dame ($$)

Postby Attorney » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:13 am

ndirish2010 wrote:From my understanding:

NY: BU>BC>>WUSTL = ND > W&M
Chicago/Midwest: ND ~ WUSTL >> BC = BU > W&M
Boston: BC = BU >>> ND = WUSTL = W&M
West Coast: ND>WUSTL>>BC = BU = W&M\
DC: W&M>BC=BU >WUSTL = ND


Not bad, but I'd say BC > BU in Boston, and BU > BC most other places like NYC and even DC. That small edge for BC over BU in Boston, and only Boston, is enough that BC has a 3% to 4% edge over BU in overall placement figures (Big Law + Art. III clerkships) over the past 3-5 years combined, through both good and bad economic times. These other schools all place somewhat worse than either of them in the overall figures.

Overall: BC > BU > ND > WUSTL > W&M

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Deathmatch!: William & Mary ($$) vs. Notre Dame ($$)

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:57 am

ndirish2010 wrote:From my understanding:

NY: BU>BC>>WUSTL = ND > W&M
Chicago/Midwest: ND ~ WUSTL >> BC = BU > W&M
Boston: BC = BU >>> ND = WUSTL = W&M
West Coast: ND>WUSTL>>BC = BU = W&M\
DC: W&M>BC=BU >WUSTL = ND


Bingo. Although I think for DC WUSTL = BC = BU > ND.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Deathmatch!: William & Mary ($$) vs. Notre Dame ($$)

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:58 am

ndirish2010 wrote:This thread is about comparing Notre Dame to William and Mary. I'm confused as to how BC got involved, although I perpetuated it a bit myself.


Its just that someone's post said BC by mistake. No biggy.

Also, car = expensive. Don't have a car in LS - you're just throwing money away. Insurance + gas + any car payments you may have left.

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Deathmatch!: William & Mary ($$) vs. Notre Dame ($$)

Postby mettasutta » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:17 pm

Just accepted to BC! :mrgreen: Have to decide in 2 weeks where to go. Will add this as an option once I get my acceptance packet, though I'm not too optimistic that I'll get merit based aid based on what I've observed from the LSN charts. In that case, perhaps I could use my W&M and ND schollies as leverage.

While I am thrilled, this certainly complicates things!
Last edited by mettasutta on Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Deathmatch!: William & Mary ($$) vs. Notre Dame ($$)

Postby Attorney » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:20 pm

mettasutta wrote:Just accepted to BC! :mrgreen: Have do decide in 2 weeks where to go.

Congratulations!! :D
Maybe I'll see you there.

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Deathmatch!: William & Mary ($$) vs. Notre Dame ($$)

Postby YourCaptain » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:47 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Uh... ND over BC for NYC is hilarious. BC pwns ND in the Northeast.


This is silly; you're doing it by aggregate numbers without accounting for self-selection.

I don't know of another aside from myself at ND that will be aggressively firing apps at NYC; just like saying WUSTL is better at DC than either BU, BC, or ND.

As for Mettasutta, if you want PI, I'd take W&M and wouldn't think twice.

Taking BC over W&M unless it's giving you serious money ($20k+) is not worth considering.

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Deathmatch!: William & Mary ($$) vs. Notre Dame ($$)

Postby Attorney » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:34 pm

YourCaptain wrote:Taking BC over W&M unless it's giving you serious money ($20k+) is not worth considering.

Not the best advice. So many think PI going in and something else coming out. BC places better than W&M overall, by far, and has a better LRAP to boot.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Deathmatch!: William & Mary ($$) vs. Notre Dame ($$)

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:36 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
Uh... ND over BC for NYC is hilarious. BC pwns ND in the Northeast.


This is silly; you're doing it by aggregate numbers without accounting for self-selection.

I don't know of another aside from myself at ND that will be aggressively firing apps at NYC; just like saying WUSTL is better at DC than either BU, BC, or ND.

As for Mettasutta, if you want PI, I'd take W&M and wouldn't think twice.

Taking BC over W&M unless it's giving you serious money ($20k+) is not worth considering.


True. Just like saying ND is better for Chicago than BC. I totally agree. I don't know of anyone but a friend of mine who hit Chicago aggressively so I guess we'll never know given self-selection!

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Deathmatch!: William & Mary ($$) vs. Notre Dame ($$)

Postby mettasutta » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:23 pm

Attorney wrote:
mettasutta wrote:Just accepted to BC! :mrgreen: Have do decide in 2 weeks where to go.

Congratulations!! :D
Maybe I'll see you there.


Congrats to you as well, Attorney! Quite an accomplishment, as BC's not exactly the most splitter-friendly school. Did you receive any merit-based aid?

Also, would BC, W&M and Notre Dame all have equal placement power in the Philadelphia market, where I have ties? (By "ties", I mean that I've spent about 20 years of my life in the region, went to school there, and have full-time WE in Philly, etc).

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Deathmatch!: William & Mary ($$) vs. Notre Dame ($$)

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:23 pm

mettasutta wrote:
Attorney wrote:
mettasutta wrote:Just accepted to BC! :mrgreen: Have do decide in 2 weeks where to go.

Congratulations!! :D
Maybe I'll see you there.


Congrats to you as well, Attorney! Quite an accomplishment, as BC's not exactly the most splitter-friendly school. Did you receive any merit-based aid?

Also, would BC, W&M and Notre Dame all have equal placement power in the Philadelphia market, where I have ties? (By "ties", I mean that I've spent about 20 years of my life in the region, went to school there, and have full-time WE in Philly, etc).


BC for Northeast over the other two. Also, I'm not a BC student so I'm not trolling for my school.

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Deathmatch!: William & Mary ($$) vs. Notre Dame ($$)

Postby mettasutta » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:11 pm

Damn, I wasn't offered any merit aid from BC. I'm sending a scholarship negotiation letter, but if they don't budge, then W&M it is. I really wanted BC badly, but sticker will be rough. :cry:




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests