SUNY Buffalo vs. University of Baltimore

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
miketyson

SUNY Buffalo vs. University of Baltimore

Postby miketyson » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:34 am

just looking to get any kind of insight into these two schools as im try to make this monumental decision. im a ny state resident and have narrowed down my choices to buffalo ($17k/year for residents) and u. baltimore (around $19k/year out of state as i got $17k scholarship, $5k/year if i become a maryland resident). both these schools are considered fairly regional but i have to imagine that a j.d. from buffalo would offer at least a little bit more mobility, as its considered a tier 2 and u. baltimore a tier 3/4. at the same time, i'm looking to get out of nys and the atlantic area appeals to me. however, i also have no real connections in that area and don't want to get down there finding that i actually hate it. again, any info would be appreciated.

jln82

Re: SUNY Buffalo vs. University of Baltimore

Postby jln82 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:17 pm

miketyson wrote:just looking to get any kind of insight into these two schools as im try to make this monumental decision. im a ny state resident and have narrowed down my choices to buffalo ($17k/year for residents) and u. baltimore (around $19k/year out of state as i got $17k scholarship, $5k/year if i become a maryland resident). both these schools are considered fairly regional but i have to imagine that a j.d. from buffalo would offer at least a little bit more mobility, as its considered a tier 2 and u. baltimore a tier 3/4. at the same time, i'm looking to get out of nys and the atlantic area appeals to me. however, i also have no real connections in that area and don't want to get down there finding that i actually hate it. again, any info would be appreciated.

They both do the job in their respective areas. Go to school wherever you think you are going to want to work. If you want to work in the atlantic area you're better off with Baltimore. However, I hate the Ravens go Bills!

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:45 pm

To be honest, If you don't like or think you could live in or around Buffalo or Baltimore, neither is a good option. If you know you want to stay in western new york or baltimore, both are great options. Don't try and talk yourself into one or the other just because they gave you money.

miketyson

Postby miketyson » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:01 pm

i've already determined that i'd like to get out of western new york, im not from the area but have had 4 years of undergrad out that way (rochester area). i actually like baltimore, at least the areas i've been to. the thing is that i at least know of buffalo grads that have become successful in the city and other areas, as well as two nys court of appeals judges from there. i guess i'm just concerned with the threat of being locked into baltimore if i go that route and it turns out i dont like it, whereas i feel that buffalo might give me more options when i graduate.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:48 pm

miketyson wrote:i've already determined that i'd like to get out of western new york, im not from the area but have had 4 years of undergrad out that way (rochester area). i actually like baltimore, at least the areas i've been to. the thing is that i at least know of buffalo grads that have become successful in the city and other areas, as well as two nys court of appeals judges from there. i guess i'm just concerned with the threat of being locked into baltimore if i go that route and it turns out i dont like it, whereas i feel that buffalo might give me more options when i graduate.

If you like Baltimore, retake/reapply/restablish residency/go to UMD. Maryland grads are having a tough enough time in this economy.

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:54 pm

its just ironic, as I went to UG in baltimore and decided it wasnt for me. I am most likely going to UB because its practically free and I want to live in upstate new york. Basically you are bizarro me. In response to you knowing people who have done well in buffalo - what are their concentrations/grades, and do they enjoy living/working in the city itself?

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:57 pm

if you want out of buffalo do not go to buffalo. You will stay in western ny if you go to buffalo.

miketyson

Postby miketyson » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:46 pm

as far as u. maryland, i applied as a part-time student and got waitlisted. i decided to remove my name from the list since it was just for part-time and checked a box for students who would plan on applying as a transfer. i'd definitely consider doing that if i end up getting the grades at u. baltimore, as well as become a maryland resident.

taxnstuff, i honestly couldnt tell you much about the buffalo grads in the city, they're really only friends of friends to be honest. i have a handful of professors at undergrad who have buffalo law degrees that i know much better. i'm assuming that they were all criminal law. of the three of them, one is a public defender, one is partner in a private criminal practice, and the other represents juvenile offenders. i can tell you that the school does dominate the western new york area, so if that's what you're looking for you got a pretty solid alumni network to work with. what was it specifically about baltimore that made you want to get out?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”