UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I attend?

UChicago 8k/year
85%
BC 25k/year
6%
University of Iowa full ride
3%
Vanderbilt 24k/year
3%
Berkeley ???
3%

Total votes: 68

happyphone

New

UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Post by happyphone » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:59 am

Hello!
I am hoping to work Biglaw in DC. UChicago is looking pretty good because they have that new LRAP program. I would like to transition from Biglaw to teaching law at a premier law school. And I want to clerk with a Supreme Court justice. Which law school do you think is my best choice?

happyphone

New

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Post by happyphone » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:01 am

note: there is no GPA requirement for any of these scholarships.

cucullu

Bronze

Post by cucullu » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:04 am

happyphone wrote:Hello!
I am hoping to work Biglaw in DC. UChicago is looking pretty good because they have that new LRAP program. I would like to transition from Biglaw to teaching law at a premier law school. And I want to clerk with a Supreme Court justice. Which law school do you think is my best choice?
FYI, Chicago's new LRAP doesn't include academia.

happyphone

New

Post by happyphone » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:06 am

That's true, but I figured if I strike out with Biglaw, then I can do public interest work for ten years. After that, I would apply to become a professor.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:18 am

happyphone wrote:That's true, but I figured if I strike out with Biglaw, then I can do public interest work for ten years. After that, I would apply to become a professor.
Not a realistic plan.

(1) Academia requires better than big law numbers

(2) The sweetspot for entering academia is after 2-3 years of practice.

The stereotypical path nowadays for top academic positions:

Top of Class -> COA clerkship-> 2-3 years at a V10 -> Fellowship -> Assistant Professor

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UChicagoStudent

New

Post by UChicagoStudent » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:35 am

Your plan is not realistic. I say this as a former 0L who dreamt the same way you did.

(1) Going into Academia is not a real option, unless you go to Yale. Otherwise, you must be in the top 2% at a T3, or 1% at T6.*

(2) Getting a Supreme Court clerkship will require that you are top 1% in your graduating class from a T6 school.*

*Numbers are not completely accurate, but that's the general quality of people who get these positions.

More realistically, your career path will look like this:
- Year 1: Biglaw/Clerking (more than likely BigLaw)
- Year 2: Biglaw/Clerking (more than likely BigLaw)
- Year 3-5: Biglaw Associate
- Year 5+: Doors are wide open. You can go DOJ, Smaller Firm, Stick with a large firm, go corporate, go into politics, start your own company, etc...

Take UChicago; it's leaps and bounds above the other schools in terms of post-graduation job placement, quality of the school and faculty, and is not that much more expensive.

Hyde Park is actually very enjoyable. At a minimum, its no worse than any of the other cities you're considering.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:59 am

UChicagoStudent wrote:Your plan is not realistic.
This.

You do have another option as a path to academia though, which would be doing well (but not necessarily top 5%) at a top school and combining your JD with an SJD or other certain other advanced degrees.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:12 am

While I think the goals in your OP are a bit idealistic, you should go to Chicago.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:02 pm

Then Iowa is the clear choice, obv.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:38 pm

happyphone wrote:I want to clerk with a Supreme Court justice.
I kinda want to be an astronaut.

But seriously, you have like a 1-in-500 shot of doing this out of U-Chicago and a 1-in-5000 shot out of any of the other schools. Do you really think you will be the very best student in your class? Not realistic enough to give much credence with regard to this decision.

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:48 pm

UChicagoStudent wrote:More realistically, your career path will look like this:
- Year 5+: Doors are wide open. You can go DOJ, Smaller Firm, Stick with a large firm, go corporate, go into politics, start your own company, etc...
:lol: Oh man, I didn't know being a Big Law associate for 5 years was so helpful with regard to starting one's own company.

If anyone wants to start their own company, a word of advice: don't waste 3 years on law school and certainly don't waste 5 years in Big Law. Making your own life miserable for nearly a decade with no particular reason or reward is not a good path to take if you're just going to go into business for yourself anyway.

Starting your own firm is not a bad idea at that point, but you'd have been much better off outside of Big Law and at a smaller firm where you actually got to be in the courtroom and stuff.

happyphone

New

Post by happyphone » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:49 pm

I understand that teaching is not easy, but I definitely want the best chance at an elite firm. I also want to make sure I will be able to practice law on the East Coast. The debt at Chicago will be tough so it makes Iowa and BC look somewhat more appealing to me.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:09 pm

happyphone wrote:I understand that teaching is not easy, but I definitely want the best chance at an elite firm. I also want to make sure I will be able to practice law on the East Coast. The debt at Chicago will be tough so it makes Iowa and BC look somewhat more appealing to me.
If you want the best possible chances at a V10 firm, go to Chicago. Seriously, take the other schools off your list.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:11 pm

happyphone wrote:I definitely want the best chance at an elite firm. I also want to make sure I will be able to practice law on the East Coast. The debt at Chicago will be tough so it makes Iowa and BC look somewhat more appealing to me.
U of Chicago dominates the other schools in elite firm placement, even on the east coast. There is no real question here, as the extra $50k debt really isn't that much in the long run. Go to UChicago and don't look back. :)

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:15 pm

You should either get into Yale and excel, or get lower goals.

UChicagoStudent

New

Post by UChicagoStudent » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:38 pm

Attorney wrote:
:lol: Oh man, I didn't know being a Big Law associate for 5 years was so helpful with regard to starting one's own company.

If anyone wants to start their own company, a word of advice: don't waste 3 years on law school and certainly don't waste 5 years in Big Law. Making your own life miserable for nearly a decade with no particular reason or reward is not a good path to take if you're just going to go into business for yourself anyway.

Starting your own firm is not a bad idea at that point, but you'd have been much better off outside of Big Law and at a smaller firm where you actually got to be in the courtroom and stuff.
You are kidding calling that idea laughable, right?!? A number of our professors at U Chicago have made millions of dollars with their own consulting companies. The Dean of Columbia has done that as well. The creators of the World Series of Poker and TMZ are UofC alumnus. David Rubenstien, who just donated $10m to the school, made his money in a private equity fund. That's just a small sample of people off of the top of my head. Yes, starting your own company is a very realistic option.

Calling 3 years on law school and 5 years in BigLaw a 'waste' is simply wrong.

Back to the point of the thread: Go to Chicago. This shouldn't be an issue :)

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:43 pm

UChicagoStudent wrote:
Attorney wrote:

You are kidding calling that idea laughable, right?!? A number of our professors at U Chicago have made millions of dollars with their own consulting companies. The Dean of Columbia has done that as well. The creators of the World Series of Poker and TMZ are UofC alumnus. David Rubenstien, who just donated $10m to the school, made his money in a private equity fund. That's just a small sample of people off of the top of my head. Yes, starting your own company is a very realistic option.

Top experts in their fields charging high consulting fee's isn't exactly starting a firm. And the World Series of Poker and TMZ seem like they are totally unrelated to practicing law, backing up exactly what Attorney was saying.

Do you think Rubenstien learned how to manage private equity funds in his two years at big law? Really?

These people accomplished would have done the same things without law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

happyphone

New

Post by happyphone » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks for all this great input. The cost of UChicago will be around 200k, but I guess it will be worth it considering all of your opinions.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:25 pm

Seriousllllyyy????

UChi

happyphone

New

Post by happyphone » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Hopefully I can increase my scholarship from 8k to more $$$

UChicagoStudent

New

Post by UChicagoStudent » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
UChicagoStudent wrote:
Attorney wrote:

Top experts in their fields charging high consulting fee's isn't exactly starting a firm. And the World Series of Poker and TMZ seem like they are totally unrelated to practicing law, backing up exactly what Attorney was saying.

Do you think Rubenstien learned how to manage private equity funds in his two years at big law? Really?

You're right. In no way/shape/form will law school or biglaw lead you to opening that Subway Franchise you've been dreaming about you're entire life.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:48 am

UChicagoStudent wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Top experts in their fields charging high consulting fee's isn't exactly starting a firm. And the World Series of Poker and TMZ seem like they are totally unrelated to practicing law, backing up exactly what Attorney was saying.

You're right. In no way/shape/form will law school or biglaw lead you to opening that Subway Franchise you've been dreaming about you're entire life.
:|

If you really think that law school and Big Law leads to starting your own business ( :P ), then there isn't much that anyone can do for you. But look at the business accomplishments of graduates from the Chicago GSB (Booth) and then look at those of the graduates of the lawl school. If you had any inclination to start a company, you should have gone to business school.

You've got one big name who went into PE from lawl, versus hundreds of big names in PE from Booth. Then you have a couple of big consultants from lawl, versus hundreds of big consulting fish from Booth. There is absolutely no contest here, and law school was the wrong decision if business is what you are interested in instead of law.

Especially if you don't have an undergrad business or econ degree.

happyphone

New

Post by happyphone » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:39 pm

I wonder if there is a way to apply to the business school after starting law school. I will look into this.

happyphone

New

Post by happyphone » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:04 pm

If I got BC to give me full tuition, would you all still say go to UChicago? Is anyone familiar with the financial aid app..it asks how many courses for each quarter and I'm not sure what to put...

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:06 pm

happyphone wrote:If I got BC to give me full tuition, would you all still say go to UChicago?
Yep, I'd still say U-Chicago.

But it'd probably be a lot closer vote if you could get BC/Vandy to give you full tuition.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”