UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I attend?

UChicago 8k/year
58
85%
BC 25k/year
4
6%
University of Iowa full ride
2
3%
Vanderbilt 24k/year
2
3%
Berkeley ???
2
3%
 
Total votes: 68

User avatar
happyphone
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:36 am

UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby happyphone » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:59 am

Hello!
I am hoping to work Biglaw in DC. UChicago is looking pretty good because they have that new LRAP program. I would like to transition from Biglaw to teaching law at a premier law school. And I want to clerk with a Supreme Court justice. Which law school do you think is my best choice?

User avatar
happyphone
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:36 am

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby happyphone » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:01 am

note: there is no GPA requirement for any of these scholarships.

User avatar
cucullu
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:03 am

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby cucullu » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:04 am

happyphone wrote:Hello!
I am hoping to work Biglaw in DC. UChicago is looking pretty good because they have that new LRAP program. I would like to transition from Biglaw to teaching law at a premier law school. And I want to clerk with a Supreme Court justice. Which law school do you think is my best choice?


FYI, Chicago's new LRAP doesn't include academia.

User avatar
happyphone
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:36 am

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby happyphone » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:06 am

That's true, but I figured if I strike out with Biglaw, then I can do public interest work for ten years. After that, I would apply to become a professor.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:18 am

happyphone wrote:That's true, but I figured if I strike out with Biglaw, then I can do public interest work for ten years. After that, I would apply to become a professor.


Not a realistic plan.

(1) Academia requires better than big law numbers

(2) The sweetspot for entering academia is after 2-3 years of practice.

The stereotypical path nowadays for top academic positions:

Top of Class -> COA clerkship-> 2-3 years at a V10 -> Fellowship -> Assistant Professor

UChicagoStudent
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby UChicagoStudent » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:35 am

Your plan is not realistic. I say this as a former 0L who dreamt the same way you did.

(1) Going into Academia is not a real option, unless you go to Yale. Otherwise, you must be in the top 2% at a T3, or 1% at T6.*

(2) Getting a Supreme Court clerkship will require that you are top 1% in your graduating class from a T6 school.*

*Numbers are not completely accurate, but that's the general quality of people who get these positions.

More realistically, your career path will look like this:
- Year 1: Biglaw/Clerking (more than likely BigLaw)
- Year 2: Biglaw/Clerking (more than likely BigLaw)
- Year 3-5: Biglaw Associate
- Year 5+: Doors are wide open. You can go DOJ, Smaller Firm, Stick with a large firm, go corporate, go into politics, start your own company, etc...

Take UChicago; it's leaps and bounds above the other schools in terms of post-graduation job placement, quality of the school and faculty, and is not that much more expensive.

Hyde Park is actually very enjoyable. At a minimum, its no worse than any of the other cities you're considering.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby Emma. » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:59 am

UChicagoStudent wrote:Your plan is not realistic.


This.

You do have another option as a path to academia though, which would be doing well (but not necessarily top 5%) at a top school and combining your JD with an SJD or other certain other advanced degrees.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby Moxie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:12 am

While I think the goals in your OP are a bit idealistic, you should go to Chicago.

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby TheFactor » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:02 pm

happyphone wrote:Hello!
I am hoping to work Biglaw in DC. UChicago is looking pretty good because they have that new LRAP program. I would like to transition from Biglaw to teaching law at a premier law school. And I want to clerk with a Supreme Court justice. Which law school do you think is my best choice?

Then Iowa is the clear choice, obv.

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby Attorney » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:38 pm

happyphone wrote:I want to clerk with a Supreme Court justice.

I kinda want to be an astronaut.

Image

But seriously, you have like a 1-in-500 shot of doing this out of U-Chicago and a 1-in-5000 shot out of any of the other schools. Do you really think you will be the very best student in your class? Not realistic enough to give much credence with regard to this decision.

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby Attorney » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:48 pm

UChicagoStudent wrote:More realistically, your career path will look like this:
- Year 1: Biglaw/Clerking (more than likely BigLaw)
- Year 2: Biglaw/Clerking (more than likely BigLaw)
- Year 3-5: Biglaw Associate
- Year 5+: Doors are wide open. You can go DOJ, Smaller Firm, Stick with a large firm, go corporate, go into politics, start your own company, etc...

:lol: Oh man, I didn't know being a Big Law associate for 5 years was so helpful with regard to starting one's own company.

If anyone wants to start their own company, a word of advice: don't waste 3 years on law school and certainly don't waste 5 years in Big Law. Making your own life miserable for nearly a decade with no particular reason or reward is not a good path to take if you're just going to go into business for yourself anyway.

Starting your own firm is not a bad idea at that point, but you'd have been much better off outside of Big Law and at a smaller firm where you actually got to be in the courtroom and stuff.

User avatar
happyphone
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:36 am

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby happyphone » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:49 pm

I understand that teaching is not easy, but I definitely want the best chance at an elite firm. I also want to make sure I will be able to practice law on the East Coast. The debt at Chicago will be tough so it makes Iowa and BC look somewhat more appealing to me.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:09 pm

happyphone wrote:I understand that teaching is not easy, but I definitely want the best chance at an elite firm. I also want to make sure I will be able to practice law on the East Coast. The debt at Chicago will be tough so it makes Iowa and BC look somewhat more appealing to me.


If you want the best possible chances at a V10 firm, go to Chicago. Seriously, take the other schools off your list.

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby Attorney » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:11 pm

happyphone wrote:I definitely want the best chance at an elite firm. I also want to make sure I will be able to practice law on the East Coast. The debt at Chicago will be tough so it makes Iowa and BC look somewhat more appealing to me.

U of Chicago dominates the other schools in elite firm placement, even on the east coast. There is no real question here, as the extra $50k debt really isn't that much in the long run. Go to UChicago and don't look back. :)

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:15 pm

happyphone wrote:Hello!
I am hoping to work Biglaw in DC. UChicago is looking pretty good because they have that new LRAP program. I would like to transition from Biglaw to teaching law at a premier law school. And I want to clerk with a Supreme Court justice. Which law school do you think is my best choice?


You should either get into Yale and excel, or get lower goals.

UChicagoStudent
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby UChicagoStudent » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:38 pm

Attorney wrote:
UChicagoStudent wrote:More realistically, your career path will look like this:
- Year 1: Biglaw/Clerking (more than likely BigLaw)
- Year 2: Biglaw/Clerking (more than likely BigLaw)
- Year 3-5: Biglaw Associate
- Year 5+: Doors are wide open. You can go DOJ, Smaller Firm, Stick with a large firm, go corporate, go into politics, start your own company, etc...

:lol: Oh man, I didn't know being a Big Law associate for 5 years was so helpful with regard to starting one's own company.

If anyone wants to start their own company, a word of advice: don't waste 3 years on law school and certainly don't waste 5 years in Big Law. Making your own life miserable for nearly a decade with no particular reason or reward is not a good path to take if you're just going to go into business for yourself anyway.

Starting your own firm is not a bad idea at that point, but you'd have been much better off outside of Big Law and at a smaller firm where you actually got to be in the courtroom and stuff.


You are kidding calling that idea laughable, right?!? A number of our professors at U Chicago have made millions of dollars with their own consulting companies. The Dean of Columbia has done that as well. The creators of the World Series of Poker and TMZ are UofC alumnus. David Rubenstien, who just donated $10m to the school, made his money in a private equity fund. That's just a small sample of people off of the top of my head. Yes, starting your own company is a very realistic option.

Calling 3 years on law school and 5 years in BigLaw a 'waste' is simply wrong.

Back to the point of the thread: Go to Chicago. This shouldn't be an issue :)

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:43 pm

UChicagoStudent wrote:
Attorney wrote:
UChicagoStudent wrote:More realistically, your career path will look like this:
- Year 1: Biglaw/Clerking (more than likely BigLaw)
- Year 2: Biglaw/Clerking (more than likely BigLaw)
- Year 3-5: Biglaw Associate
- Year 5+: Doors are wide open. You can go DOJ, Smaller Firm, Stick with a large firm, go corporate, go into politics, start your own company, etc...

:lol: Oh man, I didn't know being a Big Law associate for 5 years was so helpful with regard to starting one's own company.

If anyone wants to start their own company, a word of advice: don't waste 3 years on law school and certainly don't waste 5 years in Big Law. Making your own life miserable for nearly a decade with no particular reason or reward is not a good path to take if you're just going to go into business for yourself anyway.

Starting your own firm is not a bad idea at that point, but you'd have been much better off outside of Big Law and at a smaller firm where you actually got to be in the courtroom and stuff.


You are kidding calling that idea laughable, right?!? A number of our professors at U Chicago have made millions of dollars with their own consulting companies. The Dean of Columbia has done that as well. The creators of the World Series of Poker and TMZ are UofC alumnus. David Rubenstien, who just donated $10m to the school, made his money in a private equity fund. That's just a small sample of people off of the top of my head. Yes, starting your own company is a very realistic option.

Calling 3 years on law school and 5 years in BigLaw a 'waste' is simply wrong.

Back to the point of the thread: Go to Chicago. This shouldn't be an issue :)


Top experts in their fields charging high consulting fee's isn't exactly starting a firm. And the World Series of Poker and TMZ seem like they are totally unrelated to practicing law, backing up exactly what Attorney was saying.

Do you think Rubenstien learned how to manage private equity funds in his two years at big law? Really?

These people accomplished would have done the same things without law school.

User avatar
happyphone
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:36 am

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby happyphone » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks for all this great input. The cost of UChicago will be around 200k, but I guess it will be worth it considering all of your opinions.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:25 pm

Seriousllllyyy????



UChi

User avatar
happyphone
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:36 am

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby happyphone » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Hopefully I can increase my scholarship from 8k to more $$$

UChicagoStudent
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby UChicagoStudent » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
UChicagoStudent wrote:
Attorney wrote:
UChicagoStudent wrote:More realistically, your career path will look like this:
- Year 1: Biglaw/Clerking (more than likely BigLaw)
- Year 2: Biglaw/Clerking (more than likely BigLaw)
- Year 3-5: Biglaw Associate
- Year 5+: Doors are wide open. You can go DOJ, Smaller Firm, Stick with a large firm, go corporate, go into politics, start your own company, etc...

:lol: Oh man, I didn't know being a Big Law associate for 5 years was so helpful with regard to starting one's own company.

If anyone wants to start their own company, a word of advice: don't waste 3 years on law school and certainly don't waste 5 years in Big Law. Making your own life miserable for nearly a decade with no particular reason or reward is not a good path to take if you're just going to go into business for yourself anyway.

Starting your own firm is not a bad idea at that point, but you'd have been much better off outside of Big Law and at a smaller firm where you actually got to be in the courtroom and stuff.


You are kidding calling that idea laughable, right?!? A number of our professors at U Chicago have made millions of dollars with their own consulting companies. The Dean of Columbia has done that as well. The creators of the World Series of Poker and TMZ are UofC alumnus. David Rubenstien, who just donated $10m to the school, made his money in a private equity fund. That's just a small sample of people off of the top of my head. Yes, starting your own company is a very realistic option.

Calling 3 years on law school and 5 years in BigLaw a 'waste' is simply wrong.

Back to the point of the thread: Go to Chicago. This shouldn't be an issue :)


Top experts in their fields charging high consulting fee's isn't exactly starting a firm. And the World Series of Poker and TMZ seem like they are totally unrelated to practicing law, backing up exactly what Attorney was saying.

Do you think Rubenstien learned how to manage private equity funds in his two years at big law? Really?

These people accomplished would have done the same things without law school.


You're right. In no way/shape/form will law school or biglaw lead you to opening that Subway Franchise you've been dreaming about you're entire life.

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby Attorney » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:48 am

UChicagoStudent wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Top experts in their fields charging high consulting fee's isn't exactly starting a firm. And the World Series of Poker and TMZ seem like they are totally unrelated to practicing law, backing up exactly what Attorney was saying.

Do you think Rubenstien learned how to manage private equity funds in his two years at big law? Really?

These people accomplished would have done the same things without law school.


You're right. In no way/shape/form will law school or biglaw lead you to opening that Subway Franchise you've been dreaming about you're entire life.

:|

If you really think that law school and Big Law leads to starting your own business ( :P ), then there isn't much that anyone can do for you. But look at the business accomplishments of graduates from the Chicago GSB (Booth) and then look at those of the graduates of the lawl school. If you had any inclination to start a company, you should have gone to business school.

You've got one big name who went into PE from lawl, versus hundreds of big names in PE from Booth. Then you have a couple of big consultants from lawl, versus hundreds of big consulting fish from Booth. There is absolutely no contest here, and law school was the wrong decision if business is what you are interested in instead of law.

Especially if you don't have an undergrad business or econ degree.

User avatar
happyphone
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:36 am

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby happyphone » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:39 pm

I wonder if there is a way to apply to the business school after starting law school. I will look into this.

User avatar
happyphone
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:36 am

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby happyphone » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:04 pm

If I got BC to give me full tuition, would you all still say go to UChicago? Is anyone familiar with the financial aid app..it asks how many courses for each quarter and I'm not sure what to put...

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: UChicago, BC, Iowa, Vanderbilt

Postby Attorney » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:06 pm

happyphone wrote:If I got BC to give me full tuition, would you all still say go to UChicago?

Yep, I'd still say U-Chicago.

But it'd probably be a lot closer vote if you could get BC/Vandy to give you full tuition.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest