Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
johnnysweet
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby johnnysweet » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:47 am

Can anyone give me a run down of the T3/T4 schools in the NYC/PHILLY area as these will be most of the schools I apply to. The low T2 schools will be my reach schools

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby FuManChusco » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:20 am

*reads OP*

*reads web address*

*reads OP again*

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby mettasutta » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:28 am

This thread is not going to end well. Honestly, schools like Touro, NYLS, Pace etc. are not worth it without a full scholarship with lenient stipulations (i.e. good standing) AND a relative or a close friend guaranteeing you a job upon graduation. They are on the bottom of the totem pole in their market and are wildly expensive on top of that. If median students at Fordham (a T30) are struggling, I shudder to think of the prospects of those attending such schools at full cost and without connections.

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:36 am

mettasutta wrote:This thread is not going to end well. Honestly, schools like Touro, NYLS, Pace etc. are not worth it without a full scholarship with lenient stipulations (i.e. good standing) AND a relative or a close friend guaranteeing you a job upon graduation. They are on the bottom of the totem pole in their market and are wildly expensive on top of that. If median students at Fordham (a T30) are struggling, I shudder to think of the prospects of those attending such schools at full cost and without connections.


In general I agree but even with a full-scholarship without stipulations it is questionable whether the cost is worth it; you still have costs of attendance to factor in and the opportunity cost (3 years) is significant.

User avatar
Fred_McGriff
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby Fred_McGriff » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:41 am

TTT or TTTT might not be a bad idea in a big isolated state where they dominate the legal market, but it's almost always going to be a terrible idea in a major urban area with lots of competition. The Boston to DC corridor is the most population dense and competitive area in the US with dozens upon dozens of schools in the first and second tier. You certainly can succeed out of a TTT or TTTT but the odds of you doing so are a lot lower in that region than almost anywhere else in the US. If you're going to a TTT or TTTT, keep it someplace like Mississippi, South Carolina, Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas, or someplace else with big time local name recognition / community ties and small time outside competition.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:TTT or TTTT might not be a bad idea in a big isolated state where they dominate the legal market, but it's almost always going to be a terrible idea in a major urban area with lots of competition. The Boston to DC corridor is the most population dense and competitive area in the US with dozens upon dozens of schools in the first and second tier. You certainly can succeed out of a TTT or TTTT but the odds of you doing so are a lot lower in that region than almost anywhere else in the US. If you're going to a TTT or TTTT, keep it someplace like Mississippi, South Carolina, Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas, or someplace else with big time local name recognition / community ties and small time outside competition.

titcr

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby buckilaw » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:52 pm

johnnysweet wrote:Can anyone give me a run down of the T3/T4 schools in the NYC/PHILLY area as these will be most of the schools I apply to. The low T2 schools will be my reach schools


http://T14 Paradise.blogspot.com/

Enjoy.

chalhou1
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby chalhou1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:54 pm

buckilaw wrote:
johnnysweet wrote:Can anyone give me a run down of the T3/T4 schools in the NYC/PHILLY area as these will be most of the schools I apply to. The low T2 schools will be my reach schools


http://T14 Paradise.blogspot.com/

Enjoy.

horrible site, doesn't give us any info that we didn't already know and every pOst is the same

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7238
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby beach_terror » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:59 pm

Don't go to Widener. That's about all I got.

johnnysweet
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby johnnysweet » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:12 pm

[quote="Fred_McGriff"]TTT or TTTT might not be a bad idea in a big isolated state where they dominate the legal market, but it's almost always going to be a terrible idea in a major urban area with lots of competition. The Boston to DC corridor is the most population dense and competitive area in the US with dozens upon dozens of schools in the first and second tier. You certainly can succeed out of a TTT or TTTT but the odds of you doing so are a lot lower in that region than almost anywhere else in the US. If you're going to a TTT or TTTT, keep it someplace like Mississippi, South Carolina, Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas, or someplace else with big time local name recognition / community ties and small time outside competition.[/quote)

What about the fact that it is the only school in harrisburg, or even within a 2hr drive.
I mean it is the capital of one of the nations most populated states

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby Attorney » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:04 pm

johnnysweet wrote:Can anyone give me a run down of the T3/T4 schools in the NYC/PHILLY area as these will be most of the schools I apply to. The low T2 schools will be my reach schools

Retake. (Or get better at the LSAT before you take it the fist time.)

I got into plenty of T1 schools after being in probably the bottom 10% to 15% of my college graduating class. Like many in your situation (which I assume is the world of 2.X GPAs) I even got a $120,000s scholarship at one T1 (#23).

There's absolutely no good reason to go to a T3/T4 school without a full scholarship.

adevotchka
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby adevotchka » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:08 pm

johnnysweet wrote:
What about the fact that it is the only school in harrisburg, or even within a 2hr drive.
I mean it is the capital of one of the nations most populated states



I went to school very close to Widener and can vouch for the fact that it is definitely one of the worse options. Despite its location, Dickinson (Penn State) grads dominate that market, and then Temple and Pitt. Also, I feel like I met as met as many Widener grads employed there as I did UPenn ones...

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby paratactical » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:13 pm

johnnysweet wrote:What about the fact that it is the only school in harrisburg, or even within a 2hr drive.
I mean it is the capital of one of the nations most populated states

You still have to live in Harrisburg.

adevotchka
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby adevotchka » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:21 pm

paratactical wrote:
johnnysweet wrote:What about the fact that it is the only school in harrisburg, or even within a 2hr drive.
I mean it is the capital of one of the nations most populated states

You still have to live in Harrisburg.



For any potential Widener grads worried about securing employment, CP's REPTILELAND is only a stone's throw from H-Burg, hires "summer associates," and is an awesome place to work.

--ImageRemoved--

johnnysweet
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby johnnysweet » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:30 pm

adevotchka wrote:
paratactical wrote:
johnnysweet wrote:What about the fact that it is the only school in harrisburg, or even within a 2hr drive.
I mean it is the capital of one of the nations most populated states

You still have to live in Harrisburg.



For any potential Widener grads worried about securing employment, CP's REPTILELAND is only a stone's throw from H-Burg, hires "summer associates," and is an awesome place to work.

--ImageRemoved--



Awesome! at least there is a subway in the gift shop. I can save money on food and find employment in the same spot!

johnnysweet
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby johnnysweet » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:56 pm

But really i have a whole other post about widener...

I really want to know what my options in the area, provided that i can't get into a t2 school. (as far as I know t1 is out of my reach)

seriously????
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby seriously???? » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:00 pm

i do agree with the post that one should goto a T3/T4 only with a full ride, or a guaranteed job, or very nice financial assistance from the family.

however, what's the sentiment about getting a full ride with or without stipulations?

if you get accepted to T1 and T2 schools with money, that obviously means that your stats are not horrible. It most likely means your LSAT is leaps and bounds above the 152ish median at these T3/4 schools. Sure, T1 schools don't really give stipulations, but if you get a full ride and all you have to do is be top 30% is that really the most difficult thing in the world?

I think these T3/4 schools give out full scholarships not to improve their stats (because they give out few of them), but to target students where they think they can be successful in school, thus successful careerwise, and improving the schools reputation (or at least saying that at least one person made it). Also, if you can't get top 30% at a T3/T4 school, you are most certainly screwed there, but isn't it fair to assume that if you were to attend a T1 or T2 you also would not be in the top 30%. And with the added debt and still lack of job prospects, you are also screwed?

am I crazy? I got a half scholarship at WUSTL, and I still think the stress to land top 10% and be forced into biglaw to pay off my 100k loan is much higher than keeping a top 30% full ride at a T3/4, where if you keep the scholly, in the end no matter what, you are a JD with no debt. (and trust me, with WUSTL i am not from the midwest, not an engineer or MBA, nor have any current biglaw connects, so yes, I would definitely have to make top 10% to sleep at nite).

johnnysweet
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby johnnysweet » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:11 pm

good point :D

seriously????
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby seriously???? » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:44 pm

adevotchka wrote:
paratactical wrote:
johnnysweet wrote:What about the fact that it is the only school in harrisburg, or even within a 2hr drive.
I mean it is the capital of one of the nations most populated states

You still have to live in Harrisburg.



For any potential Widener grads worried about securing employment, CP's REPTILELAND is only a stone's throw from H-Burg, hires "summer associates," and is an awesome place to work.

--ImageRemoved--



Come on, you arent' even going to a T14. Dozo, Tulane at half scholly, or emory/fordham at sticker? I would pay for none of those options. perhaps you should consider applying to a T4. whatever, its your choice, but don't hate on schools when you aren't even going to one of the good ones.

johnnysweet
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby johnnysweet » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:43 pm

What do you think about franklin pierce for ip?

Rule11
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby Rule11 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:49 pm

johnnysweet wrote:What do you think about franklin pierce for ip?


If "IP" stands for "immediately permafucked" then I think it delivers in spades.

seriously????
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby seriously???? » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:12 pm

apparently they do place some high paying IP gigs in NYC, but I would assume the people with IP have a lot of prior experience.

and it is the only school in NH, so if you wanted to practice there, it could not be too bad. And yes I know that plenty of schools from boston prolly place there, but if you want to be a small town lawyer in NH, its not the worst decision.

alumniguy
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby alumniguy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:29 pm

seriously???? wrote:i do agree with the post that one should goto a T3/T4 only with a full ride, or a guaranteed job, or very nice financial assistance from the family.

however, what's the sentiment about getting a full ride with or without stipulations?

if you get accepted to T1 and T2 schools with money, that obviously means that your stats are not horrible. It most likely means your LSAT is leaps and bounds above the 152ish median at these T3/4 schools. Sure, T1 schools don't really give stipulations, but if you get a full ride and all you have to do is be top 30% is that really the most difficult thing in the world?

I think these T3/4 schools give out full scholarships not to improve their stats (because they give out few of them), but to target students where they think they can be successful in school, thus successful careerwise, and improving the schools reputation (or at least saying that at least one person made it). Also, if you can't get top 30% at a T3/T4 school, you are most certainly screwed there, but isn't it fair to assume that if you were to attend a T1 or T2 you also would not be in the top 30%. And with the added debt and still lack of job prospects, you are also screwed?

am I crazy? I got a half scholarship at WUSTL, and I still think the stress to land top 10% and be forced into biglaw to pay off my 100k loan is much higher than keeping a top 30% full ride at a T3/4, where if you keep the scholly, in the end no matter what, you are a JD with no debt. (and trust me, with WUSTL i am not from the midwest, not an engineer or MBA, nor have any current biglaw connects, so yes, I would definitely have to make top 10% to sleep at nite).


No you're not crazy. 1/2 at WUSTL is a gamble given the reduced demand in biglaw hiring. Is it a gamble that many people are willing to take, certainly. We aren't talking winning the lottery gamble, but getting a good job isn't guaranteed either.

You could also go to a T3/T4 on a full ride with stipulations - at least for the first year. Here is the thing, if you are going to a T3/T4 and can't keep that scholly after your first year, then you're probably not cut out to be a lawyer. Period. I can guarantee you that if you can't keep the scholly at at T3/T4, you likely never would have made it anywhere in T1. At a top 30 school, where you have mostly 160+ LSAT students, it is very hard for the admissions departments to determine which students are going to be at the top of the class after their first year. There simply is very little correlation between higher LSAT and higher class rank (when dealing with students that are so closely bunched together). At a T3/T4, if you were able to get a full ride, you either had a great GPA or a great LSAT score and this is probably indicative that you do well in comparison to the average student at T3/T4.

Which is the better option? It really depends on the person. But taking on $100k just to have a shot at biglaw so you can pay back the debt you incurred in order to get the biglaw job is just plain stupid. Do you think you may like biglaw? If so, then it may not be such a bad choice to take on $100k in debt. But either way, if you are going to law school only because you think you're going to make some cash and you don't get a full ride at a T1, then you're sorely mistaken.

There are far better career choices that offer stability and decent pay than law, especially if you don't have the passion to work your ass off both in law school and once you start practicing. Law school is work. Practicing law is even more work.

framboozer
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby framboozer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:27 pm

johnnysweet wrote:
Fred_McGriff wrote:TTT or TTTT might not be a bad idea in a big isolated state where they dominate the legal market, but it's almost always going to be a terrible idea in a major urban area with lots of competition. The Boston to DC corridor is the most population dense and competitive area in the US with dozens upon dozens of schools in the first and second tier. You certainly can succeed out of a TTT or TTTT but the odds of you doing so are a lot lower in that region than almost anywhere else in the US. If you're going to a TTT or TTTT, keep it someplace like Mississippi, South Carolina, Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas, or someplace else with big time local name recognition / community ties and small time outside competition.[/quote)

What about the fact that it is the only school in harrisburg, or even within a 2hr drive.
I mean it is the capital of one of the nations most populated states


But it's most definitely not the only school within a 2 hour drive of Harrisburg. I live outside of Northeast Philly and go to undergrad at Penn State University Park and both of Penn State's law school campuses (University Park and Carlisle) are within 2 hours of Harrisburg. Plus Philadelphia and all of its schools are also within 2 hours of Harrisburg.

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Please give me an overview of North East T3/T4 schools

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:08 pm

seriously???? wrote:apparently they do place some high paying IP gigs in NYC, but I would assume the people with IP have a lot of prior experience.

and it is the only school in NH, so if you wanted to practice there, it could not be too bad. And yes I know that plenty of schools from boston prolly place there, but if you want to be a small town lawyer in NH, its not the worst decision.


More than UNH would like to admit.

People with NH/MA even RI ties at better schools will dominate the hell out of UNH grads.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests