California Schools Advice Needed Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
boomersooner

New

California Schools Advice Needed

Post by boomersooner » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:06 am

I am from out of state but have applied to many california schools. I don't know if it is better to take money or pay at sticker. I have no debt as of right now. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Pepperdine-in sticker
University of San Diego-in sticker
Loyola-in sticker
Pacifc-in 18,000 & books a year
Santa Clara- unknown
Western State- Full ride

Danteshek

Gold

Re: California Schools Advice Needed

Post by Danteshek » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:11 am

boomersooner wrote:I am from out of state but have applied to many california schools. I don't know if it is better to take money or pay at sticker. I have no debt as of right now. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Pepperdine-in sticker
University of San Diego-in sticker
Loyola-in sticker
Pacifc-in 18,000 & books a year
Santa Clara- unknown
Western State- Full ride
Loyola or Pepperdine for sure. Western State is one of the worst schools in the country. Pacific is a decent school but not in the same class as Loyola or Pepperdine. USD is good, but on the down swing, I think. I can answer your questions about Loyola in the other Loyola threads. I'm a 2L at Loyola. Gatriel is a good source on Pepperdine.
Last edited by Danteshek on Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:12 am

None of those offers are really enticing. I'd retake/reapply for larger scholarships or better schools.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:35 pm

FWIW (not much) I'd be a little leery of taking Western State up on its offer. The school actually lost provisional accreditation a few years ago due in part to very poor Bar exam performance. Taking a look at the statistics, I can't say for sure that performance has improved all that much since. OTOH, free IS free so you'd be out just your opportunity costs.

Of the schools you list, I really don't think any is worth sticker, not even Pepperdine. But the trouble is, there's no such thing as a reasonably priced ABA school in California. Even UC fees are insane these days. If I absolutely HAD to pick and I desparately wanted to be a lawyer, I suppose I'd choose McGeorge. At least it's well known and they did offer you some money.

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:45 pm

LA native here. Definitely Loyola or Pepperdine. If you're a liberal- Loyola. Conservative-Pepperdine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sUkNoIrzTforEall

New

Post by sUkNoIrzTforEall » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:47 pm

You probably got money at Santa Clara, I would guess-just hasn't arrived yet.

Pepperdine is my fav of your choices, and was before Loyola rejected me. Absolutely gorgeous school and location, and great reputation.

Still, if money is an issue-- SC or McGeorge. I visited McGeorge and was favorably impressed, but the area around the school, and its tenuous grip on tier 2 concerns me.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:45 pm

zla2014 wrote:LA native here. Definitely Loyola or Pepperdine. If you're a liberal- Loyola. Conservative-Pepperdine.
How are you waitlisted at Loyola with a 3.9 GPA??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”