BU v Dozo v BLS

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

BU (likely sticker)
64%
Cardozo (108k scholly)
No votes
Brooklyn (full)
36%

Total votes: 11

emjay

BU v Dozo v BLS

Postby emjay » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:00 am

I posted one of these before but some info has changed.

I'd like to do biglaw in new york eventually, its where i'm from and where i went for UG, but i'm worried about the chances of that from BU.

WL'ed at UVA, fordham, and GWU. Still waiting on Cornell.

bk1

Re: BU v Dozo v BLS

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:03 am

If you want NYC biglaw and nothing else then BU, but BU at sticker is a pretty bad idea because if you miss biglaw (which more likely than not) you will be stuck with over $180k in debt and it will be tough to pay it back.

What are the stipulations on your schollies and what would your total CoA be at those schools?

If you really want NYC biglaw, you should retake/reapply (assuming you haven't taken the LSAT 3 times) for at least Cornell or better.

Rule11

Postby Rule11 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:09 am

If you really want nyc biglaw, and those are your options (and you insist on going to law school), go to Brooklyn (unless the scholarship has stipulations). You won't get biglaw from any of those schools, but at least your life won't be ruined. You might also have a shot at a biglaw staff attorney position (not a bad gig at all if you get the right firm), and you can fool people with your legit biglaw email address.

emjay

Postby emjay » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 am

bk1 wrote:If you want NYC biglaw and nothing else then BU, but BU at sticker is a pretty bad idea because if you miss biglaw (which more likely than not) you will be stuck with over $180k in debt and it will be tough to pay it back.

What are the stipulations on your schollies and what would your total CoA be at those schools?

If you really want NYC biglaw, you should retake/reapply (assuming you haven't taken the LSAT 3 times) for at least Cornell or better.

Retaking the LSAT will be tough, I've taken it twice and scored a point lower on the second try after studying even more than I did the first time. At this point, I'm out of material to study and nerves seem to be holding me back from reaching my PT scores (I've tried beta blockers and even went to therapy, I just don't know how to deal with it. And I know law school is even more stressful and all that shit and I'll be even more nervous then, but I mean the other option is just becoming a hermit and avoiding significant events entirely). I just don't think retaking will be worthwhile.

CoA for three years:
BU 175k
Dozo 102k (which rules it out almost entirely in my mind)
BLS around 50k depending on living situation

And both schollies have stips, I think top 40-50% for both, which sucks.

Also, I should say I'm not entirely debt-averse and should get some need-based aid. And I'm not so attached to nyc that I'd turn down opportunities in Boston because of it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:29 am

I understand not wanting to take the LSAT again with one retake already and a lot of studying. My large concern, and one that you already seem to have, would be that same stress affecting you in law school. I can see reasons for both retaking (underperforming from PT scores) and not retaking (stress, you've already taken it twice) so I think only you can make a real estimation of whether you should or not and it seems like you don't think it is worth it.

Dozo is definitely out. Top 40% stip at BLS would have me very wary but I think I would take BLS over BU (too much risk) in this situation and accept the fact that biglaw is most likely out of the picture.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:19 am

Why is the COA so different when BLS is a short subway ride from Cardozo?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”