CCN or CC.......N?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ExpectLess

Re: CCN or CC.......N?

Postby ExpectLess » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 am

mst wrote:
rayiner wrote:
redsoxfan2495 wrote:Lay prestige is very regional. I live in New England and to most people around here the University of Chicago sounds like a community college. Most have never heard of Caltech. They were all pretty impressed when I said I got into Columbia though. I think the only schools with truly nationwide lay prestige are Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Stanford. I'm tempted to add MIT, but I need confirmation from someone who lives way out west.

Also, I find it odd that Columbia fails at lay prestige outside the northeast. It outranks Stanford, MIT, Caltech etc. in US News. I wonder what other factors affect lay prestige...

Columbia isn't on TV so white people don't know it, and their engineering school sucks so browns and asians don't know it.

Harvard = every doctor/big lawyer on TV
Yale = Clinton, Bushes
MIT = every movie with a scientist (eg: Armageddon), 21
Stanford = Google, Chuck, Saved by the Bell

Uhhh Columbia is all over Gossip Girl. And Spiderman.

Also comes up a number of times on How I Met Your Mother, and I think once or twice on Mad Men.

From down south, no one seems to know where Columbia is (it's in Manhattan?!) or anyone who goes there, but everyone knows it's one of the best.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:32 am

rayiner wrote:
redsoxfan2495 wrote:Lay prestige is very regional. I live in New England and to most people around here the University of Chicago sounds like a community college. Most have never heard of Caltech. They were all pretty impressed when I said I got into Columbia though. I think the only schools with truly nationwide lay prestige are Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Stanford. I'm tempted to add MIT, but I need confirmation from someone who lives way out west.

Also, I find it odd that Columbia fails at lay prestige outside the northeast. It outranks Stanford, MIT, Caltech etc. in US News. I wonder what other factors affect lay prestige...

Columbia isn't on TV so white people don't know it, and their engineering school sucks so browns and asians don't know it.

Yale = Clinton, Bushes

There's actually a movie about a girl who wants to go to Georgetown over Northwestern LOL. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljSKc7T9M68#t=0m36s

bellamy

Postby bellamy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:33 am

mst wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Yale = Clinton, Bushes

And Ghostbusters

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:34 am

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:43 am

mst wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Yale = Clinton, Bushes

I'll take your word for Gossip Girl, but I don't remember it in Spiderman.

You have to consider the context of the mention. When Columbia does get mentioned it's usually in a very NYC specific context (at best "prestigious school in NYC"). When Harvard and MIT get mentioned, it's in a "smartest people on the earth" context. There's a scene in Armageddon where the President is like "I brought in the top expert in the world in meteors headed for earth" and some guy replies "yeah, I was in his astrophysics class at MIT - he got a C!"

I'm sure there are situations where Columbia gets mentioned in a superlative way like that, but it's relatively rare. Harvard gets mentioned every episode or so in Fringe, and Stanford is constantly featured in Chuck.
Last edited by rayiner on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:44 am

ExpectLess wrote:
mst wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Yale = Clinton, Bushes

Also comes up a number of times on How I Met Your Mother, and I think once or twice on Mad Men.

From down south, no one seems to know where Columbia is (it's in Manhattan?!) or anyone who goes there, but everyone knows it's one of the best.

No way. Lived in ATL for 7 years. Nobody heard of Columbia. It was Harvard, MIT, and Emory.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:44 am

Desert Fox wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Yale = Clinton, Bushes

There's actually a movie about a girl who wants to go to Georgetown over Northwestern LOL. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljSKc7T9M68#t=0m36s

I would choose GTown, too, if it meant getting away from Martin Lawrence.

Also, I lived in ATL for 5 years, and was pushed to consider transferring to Columbia for my major (before my GPA hit the skids.)

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:39 am

rayiner wrote:
mst wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Yale = Clinton, Bushes

I'll take your word for Gossip Girl, but I don't remember it in Spiderman.

You have to consider the context of the mention. When Columbia does get mentioned it's usually in a very NYC specific context (at best "prestigious school in NYC"). When Harvard and MIT get mentioned, it's in a "smartest people on the earth" context. There's a scene in Armageddon where the President is like "I brought in the top expert in the world in meteors headed for earth" and some guy replies "yeah, I was in his astrophysics class at MIT - he got a C!"

I'm sure there are situations where Columbia gets mentioned in a superlative way like that, but it's relatively rare. Harvard gets mentioned every episode or so in Fringe, and Stanford is constantly featured in Chuck.

Harvard might get mentioned almost every episode in Fringe, but the establishing shots are almost always shots of Yale... Yale alum and Fringe fan who's mad.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:06 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Nobody knows about US NEWs rankings other than tiger moms, and gunner 17 year olds.

It's mostly regional bias, hollywood, and football/basketball.

For UG my high school only cared about the seven Ivies and other private schools (Chicago, Northwestern, NYU, Georgetown, Caltech, Stanford, MIT, some liberal arts colleges like Swarthmore, Wellesley, Pomona, etc.). Rankings were very important. But my HS was probably an anomaly and too eager for a brand name. We would probably tier the first four of the "other" schools in a lower tier than the last three named, which were on par with the Ivies (and better than Cornell). I'm from the metro DC area. My HS ultimately sent ~25 people to the Ivies and another maybe 10-15 to the "other" schools. And we would probably be considered "gunner 17 year olds."

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:23 am

rayiner wrote:
ExpectLess wrote:
mst wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Yale = Clinton, Bushes

No way. Lived in ATL for 7 years. Nobody heard of Columbia. It was Harvard, MIT, and Emory.
+1 Thought it was just another LAC with a pretentious name before I went to college. Even originally being from Florida, the refuge of displaced New Yorkers, Vanderbilt/Emory/Duke and the standard HYPMS were about it for schools that were considered ultra-prestigious. I think regional lay prestige largely comes from a good med school. Even people who will never have get a school diploma always know someone who had to go to the local all-star university hospital for some crazy affliction.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:41 am

fltanglab wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Nobody knows about US NEWs rankings other than tiger moms, and gunner 17 year olds.

For UG my high school only cared about the seven Ivies and other private schools (Chicago, Northwestern, NYU, Georgetown, Caltech, Stanford, MIT, some liberal arts colleges like Swarthmore, Wellesley, Pomona, etc.). Rankings were very important. But my HS was probably an anomaly and too eager for a brand name. We would probably tier the first four of the "other" schools in a lower tier than the last three named, which were on par with the Ivies (and better than Cornell). I'm from the metro DC area. My HS ultimately sent ~25 people to the Ivies and another maybe 10-15 to the "other" schools. And we would probably be considered "gunner 17 year olds."

I went to a middle class midwestern highschool. Nobody applied to Ivy league other than a couple kids to Harvard. Only rich kids would apply to Northwestern. A couple nerds applied to MIT, but their parenets weren't going to pay 35K for MIT when U of I engineering was only 9K.

Most people only applied to state schools. I only applied to three schools. 2/3rds of the kids in my AP Physics class went to Illinois with me.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:07 am

Desert Fox wrote:
fltanglab wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I went to a middle class midwestern highschool. Nobody applied to Ivy league other than a couple kids to Harvard. Only rich kids would apply to Northwestern. A couple nerds applied to MIT, but their parenets weren't going to pay 35K for MIT when U of I engineering was only 9K.

Most people only applied to state schools. I only applied to three schools. 2/3rds of the kids in my AP Physics class went to Illinois with me.

I just knew I wanted to get out of state, and I wanted to study engineering, so I applied to 4 schools, 2 accepts, 1 WL and 1 Deny (f'ing Duke...) When people asked me where I wanted to go, I would always say MIT or Caltech or something like that, but truth is I didn't even apply to those schools, I really didn't care. My HS was Ivy League, State school or highly regarded Liberal Arts College. The reason I picked the one I did was because my admissions counselors kept telling me I wouldn't get in there. Despite all of this, I knew exactly how good Columbia was, and I am from the deep South.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:41 pm

fltanglab wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

TJ?

If only 10-15 y'all are slacking. We sent like 20 kids to MIT my year.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:55 pm

rayiner wrote:
fltanglab wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

TJ?

I hope that's a joke. 20 kids to MIT in one graduating class...I can't imagine how insane that would be.

booboo

Postby booboo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:02 pm

Best high school in the country, lol.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:16 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
rayiner wrote:
fltanglab wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

TJ?

I hope that's a joke. 20 kids to MIT in one graduating class...I can't imagine how insane that would be.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre ... tions.html

The school has been in a decline. My year MIT was ~20 and Princeton was ~15.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:22 pm

booboo wrote:Best high school in the country, lol.

LOL at brown people knowing this.

booboo

Postby booboo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Only because my TTT high school is ranked in the 70's...

I am coming to Chicago for ASW 7-9, just saying bro.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

LOL at brown people.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:44 pm

booboo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Only because my TTT high school is ranked in the 70's...

I am coming to Chicago for ASW 7-9, just saying bro.

Someone should start a meet up.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”