CCN or CC.......N? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rayiner

Platinum

Re: CCN or CC.......N?

Post by rayiner » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:45 pm

fatduck wrote:@rayiner:

settle a debate for me: what year did you start at gatech? i think we may have been classmates (i started fall 03)
I started Fall '02, but was on the 5-year plan so I graduated spring '07.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:46 pm

rayiner wrote:
fatduck wrote:@rayiner:

settle a debate for me: what year did you start at gatech? i think we may have been classmates (i started fall 03)
I started Fall '02, but was on the 5-year plan so I graduated spring '07.
ah, okay. i was also AE, but dropped out after a year so i didn't really take any major classes.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:49 pm

rayiner wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
Caltech definitely has the least lay-prestige out of the six, but I think it has more lay prestige than any other school outside the six.
You must be heavily west coast biased. I'd argue on the east coast, Columbia has far more lay prestige than Caltech. Caltech doesn't belong anywhere near HYSP MIT category. Those are schools that transcend regional biases.
Nobody outside New England + NY has heard of Columbia. Everyone's heard of CalTech. They think everyone who goes there works for NASA and shit.
You must not live in NY. Caltech has very little name recognition here.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:54 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
rayiner wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
Caltech definitely has the least lay-prestige out of the six, but I think it has more lay prestige than any other school outside the six.
You must be heavily west coast biased. I'd argue on the east coast, Columbia has far more lay prestige than Caltech. Caltech doesn't belong anywhere near HYSP MIT category. Those are schools that transcend regional biases.
Nobody outside New England + NY has heard of Columbia. Everyone's heard of CalTech. They think everyone who goes there works for NASA and shit.
You must not live in NY. Caltech has very little name recognition here.
Right. Which is why I said "nobody outside New England + NY". I grew up in DC, we don't know about Columbia there.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:55 pm

I was vaguely aware of Columbia but I didn't really know where it was nor how good it was supposed to be.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:05 pm

bk187 wrote:
GeePee wrote:Only two things on TLS are certain:

1. Every month or so, someone will post a new thread about NYU being worse than Columbia and Chicago.
2. You will obviously know when such a thread exists because BruceWayne bumps it with the exact same response every time.
Agreed.

When it's all said and done, does this really matter? NYU, year after year, has medians at or above the other CC's. The caliber of professors stays the same or better than the other cc's. The employment stays the same as the other CC's. And all 3 aspects have been better than the other t14s aside from HYS.

But year after year, NYU's general university layman prestige has been that of a t30 institution and CC's have been that of top 10's. And for some crazy reason, this conflicting information pisses people like Bruce Wayne off. Trolls: announcement: People like living in NYC. Professors do. Students do. Lawyers do. Granted, not all people. But enough people that there will, for the foreseeable future, always be enough 170+ 3.6+ students to fill NYU law's class ranks and enough heralded professors and amazing legal minds willing to teach at NYU because they want to stay in the city and not move to college town, nowhere. Employers know it's an amazing school because of these factors. NYU knows it. The students know it.

So what I guess I'm saying is: who cares?
Last edited by mst on Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I was vaguely aware of Columbia but I didn't really know where it was nor how good it was supposed to be.
You could at least spell Colombia's name right, you ignoramus.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:17 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I was vaguely aware of Columbia but I didn't really know where it was nor how good it was supposed to be.
You could at least spell Colombia's name right, you ignoramus.
And give those unprestigious south americans the satisfaction! NO

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:23 pm

At some point, DF will manage to misspell H and Y too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:25 pm

I spelled it correctly didn't I?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I spelled it correctly didn't I?
Ya, I was really confused by that whole exchange.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:31 pm

mst wrote:The caliber of professors stays the same or better than the other cc's.
Chicago crushes CLS and NYU:

http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2010_ ... pact.shtml

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:32 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
not sure, they spell it Columbia here, but then Colombia here. I guess it's one of those things that are open to interpretation, like theater/theatre.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:33 pm

:lol: Actually, you did.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:35 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
not sure, they spell it Columbia here, but then Colombia here. I guess it's one of those things that are open to interpretation, like theater/theatre.
It's a proper noun. It's spelled the way they spell it. Now that I know you are serious, you can suck my dick retard.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:35 pm

Not a significant difference between the three: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=108528.

2009 NLJ 250 + 2009 Article III Clerkship Placement
Columbia - 62.4%
Chicago - 62.1%
NYU - 58.1%

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:37 pm

ahduth wrote:
mst wrote:The caliber of professors stays the same or better than the other cc's.

1)wasnt that made by a chicago professor?
2)if you go by that nyu is ahead of columbia. another of the c's... soooooo that makes it C->N->C... Uhhhh? I'm failing to C your point that N is not grouped with them...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
It's a proper noun. It's spelled the way they spell it. Now that I know you are serious, you can suck my dick retard.
:shock:

...I was kidding

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:42 pm

mst wrote:
ahduth wrote:

2)if you go by that nyu is ahead of columbia. another of the c's... soooooo that makes it C->N->C... Uhhhh? I'm failing to C your point that N is not grouped with them...
That study is blatant city of Chicago trolling. Chicago beats Stanford and NYU, Northwestern beats Michigan, Virginia, and Penn.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:42 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Please. That's the irony of TLS. The one gap that is quite real (between HYS and "CCN") is big. But because people on here are so infatuated with NYC biglaw they make strength of school assessments entirely on who places the most people into NYC firms. Try getting a job at the DOJ from CCN vs. HYS. It's a HUGE difference. Try getting a fed clerkship from CCN vs. HYS again a HUGE difference. But because people on here think that placement into Skadden NYC or Wachtell is all that matters and the defining way to determine school strength, they mistakenly think that "CCN" is a real grouping that is close to HYS and far away from the other schools.
The real irony here is that virtually no poster actually thinks that the gap between HYS and CCN is smaller than the gap between CCN and MPBVDCGN. If anything, there's always been a consensus to the contrary.

I think BW is the second coming of Kurama. Discuss. (I'm looking at you, Renzo.)

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:44 pm

...I was kidding
You gotta forgive him, he's constantly trolled for his spelling shortcomings IRL.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:46 pm

rayiner wrote:
mst wrote:
ahduth wrote:

That study is blatant city of Chicago trolling. Chicago beats Stanford and NYU, Northwestern beats Michigan, Virginia, and Penn.
Leiter provides the methodology, and he's been doing this for awhile. Even when he was at UT I thought?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:46 pm

mst wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Quality of faculty is highly dependent on your area of interest (if you already have one).

NYU is probably the strongest of the 3 in my area of interest. One thing that was clear to me from a review of the faculty profiles at all three is that Chicago and Columbia both had much older faculties, which seems like a drawback to me.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote: Ya, I was really confused by that whole exchange.
:shock:

...I was kidding
LOL I thought you were. NOw you can suck my dick real friendly like though.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:03 pm

ahduth wrote:

link wrote:Needless to say, citation studies are but one measure of the scholarly distinction of faculties. They tend to favor smaller faculties over larger faculties
Since NYU is ahead of CLS and Chicago has a smaller faculty (I think/assume) and the study is done by a Chicago prof... it doesn't seem to provide much evidence that NYU is behind C and C (or any).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”