Penn State, Villanova, Miami?!?!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?!

Penn State w/ 15K
48%
Villanova w/ ??
5%
Miami w/ ??
19%
South Carolina w/ 18k
14%
Seton Hall w/ 25k
14%
Catholic with 12.5k
No votes

Total votes: 21

emm

Penn State, Villanova, Miami?!?!

Postby emm » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:12 pm

I'm from Virginia and I'm on a billion waitlists. I'm a small-town kind of girl from a small liberal-arts school, so I'm looking to go somewhere with that kind of feel. But I'm also really concerned with job prospects and debt. Where should I go? I'm so confused.

northwood

Re: Penn State, Villanova, Miami?!?!

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:18 pm

emm wrote:I'm from Virginia and I'm on a billion waitlists. I'm a small-town kind of girl from a small liberal-arts school, so I'm looking to go somewhere with that kind of feel. But I'm also really concerned with job prospects and debt. Where should I go? I'm so confused.

Where do you want to work? If you wouldnt mind PA, then PSU ( with money) could work. If you want to stay in the south, then i would say south carolina. Itds really hard to say, since all of these schools are in various parts of the country. I would say that yoou should narrow down where you want to live. If you cant do that, I would go to the best school for the least amount of money ( PSU, SOuth Carolina, or Seton Hall- if you are okay with Jersey would be your best bet). Before you commit to going be sure to visit and check out the school and surrounding areas.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:14 pm

A lot of people are voting Penn State, but that's going to limit you to Western PA. I can't imagine wanting to live there after living in the South. South Carolina is cheap, dominates it's state, and Columbia is a pretty solid town to go to LS in. It's going to limit you to some extent beyond the state, but 70% of their bar went to the school, the quality of life is pretty high within the state, and at the in state cost you'll be paying ($22 a year) it's not all that expensive considering the COL in Columbia.

My vote is South Carolina

emm

Postby emm » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:51 am

Thanks so much–it really helps to hear other’s perspectives. As far as where I want to live, I think I would probably do best in the South. I actually have never even been to the north. I hate cold weather! But at the same time, it’s really hard for me to discount Penn State because of the money and its new high rank. And despite the scandal, I feel like Villanova might be a good fit for me because it is private and small.
I would really appreciate any insights/opinions about these schools. Deposit deadlines are terrifyingly soon! I found out today that I was waitlisted at Richmond, which was my first choice, so I’m scrambling to make a decision.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:52 am

Fred_McGriff wrote:A lot of people are voting Penn State, but that's going to limit you to Western Central PA.

Western PA is dominated by Pitt (and to a lesser extent, Duquesne). It's hard to get Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with a Penn State degree and no ties. Penn State is more of a Harrisburg/York/Lancaster school.

emm

Postby emm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:02 pm

I was accepted to Temple today and heard back from Miami that no money is available. I think I might be leaning Miami. What do you think?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”