Where Should I Go?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where Should I Go?

GULC ($)
0
No votes
UCLA ($$$)
1
7%
GW ($$$$)
1
7%
Penn (Sticker)
12
86%
 
Total votes: 14

lawscholar20
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Where Should I Go?

Postby lawscholar20 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:52 pm

I am having a little trouble arriving at a decision of where to attend.

I would like to end up with BigLaw/Job in NYC. My concern with UCLA is that I will be at a disadvantage in regard to jobs on the East Coast. Additionally, I would like to be closer to NY during law school, as that is where my family (and my wife's) lives. Money is not a hugh factor in the decision. Although my parents are paying for my schooling, I still rather spend their money wisely.

Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by lawscholar20 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Where Should I Go?

Postby FuManChusco » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:04 pm

lawscholar20 wrote:I am having a little trouble arriving at a decision of where to attend.

I would like to end up with BigLaw/Job in NYC. My concern with UCLA is that I will be at a disadvantage in regard to jobs on the East Coast. Additionally, I would like to be closer to NY during law school, as that is where my family (and my wife's) lives. Money is not a hugh factor in the decision. Although my parents are paying for my schooling, I still rather spend their money wisely.

Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!


I find the bolded to be strange, but definitely go to Penn.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Where Should I Go?

Postby bk1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:09 pm

Penn at sticker. Good shot at NYC biglaw.

Your parents money will be well spent.

lawscholar20
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Re: Where Should I Go?

Postby lawscholar20 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:11 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
lawscholar20 wrote:I am having a little trouble arriving at a decision of where to attend.

I would like to end up with BigLaw/Job in NYC. My concern with UCLA is that I will be at a disadvantage in regard to jobs on the East Coast. Additionally, I would like to be closer to NY during law school, as that is where my family (and my wife's) lives. Money is not a hugh factor in the decision. Although my parents are paying for my schooling, I still rather spend their money wisely.

Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!


I find the bolded to be strange, but definitely go to Penn.


Why?

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Where Should I Go?

Postby FuManChusco » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:12 pm

lawscholar20 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
lawscholar20 wrote:I am having a little trouble arriving at a decision of where to attend.

I would like to end up with BigLaw/Job in NYC. My concern with UCLA is that I will be at a disadvantage in regard to jobs on the East Coast. Additionally, I would like to be closer to NY during law school, as that is where my family (and my wife's) lives. Money is not a hugh factor in the decision. Although my parents are paying for my schooling, I still rather spend their money wisely.

Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!


I find the bolded to be strange, but definitely go to Penn.


Why?


not sure. I just can't picture a married man taking 200k from his parents. it seems odd.

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Where Should I Go?

Postby Bumi » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:18 pm

FuManChusco wrote: I just can't picture a married man taking 200k from his parents. it seems odd.

I can think of plenty of situations where it would make sense, and plenty of situations where it wouldn't make any sense at all.

lawscholar20
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Re: Where Should I Go?

Postby lawscholar20 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:21 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
lawscholar20 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
lawscholar20 wrote:I am having a little trouble arriving at a decision of where to attend.

I would like to end up with BigLaw/Job in NYC. My concern with UCLA is that I will be at a disadvantage in regard to jobs on the East Coast. Additionally, I would like to be closer to NY during law school, as that is where my family (and my wife's) lives. Money is not a hugh factor in the decision. Although my parents are paying for my schooling, I still rather spend their money wisely.

Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!



I find the bolded to be strange, but definitely go to Penn.


Why?


not sure. I just can't picture a married man taking 200k from his parents. it seems odd.

My father payed his own way (Student Loans) through law school as his parents couldn't afford to help him out. He has always told me that he views putting me through school as his responsibility and the fact that I chose to get married has nothing to do with that. Never really thought it was odd, I am just grateful that my father is generous and in the position to afford it. Are you saying you think it's wrong for me to accept?

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Where Should I Go?

Postby FuManChusco » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:26 pm

lawscholar20 wrote:My father payed his own way (Student Loans) through law school as his parents couldn't afford to help him out. He has always told me that he views putting me through school as his responsibility and the fact that I chose to get married has nothing to do with that. Never really thought it was odd, I am just grateful that my father is generous and in the position to afford it. Are you saying you think it's wrong for me to accept?


absolutely not. I didn't even mean for it to be insulting. that's good on your father. he must be proud. and he certainly isn't wasting his money on Penn. I would say most people pay their own way though. I just wouldn't expect someone who is married to be in this situation since most 23 year old kids don't even have the advantage. if my parents offered to pay, there is no doubt in my mind I would let them.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Where Should I Go?

Postby ahduth » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:43 pm

lawscholar20 wrote:My father payed his own way (Student Loans) through law school as his parents couldn't afford to help him out. He has always told me that he views putting me through school as his responsibility and the fact that I chose to get married has nothing to do with that. Never really thought it was odd, I am just grateful that my father is generous and in the position to afford it. Are you saying you think it's wrong for me to accept?


No, and if he's truly in a position to afford it, the correct answer is Penn. It will give you a much better shot at NYC big law than any of the rest you listed.

But really this forum can't tell you whether or not that's money "well spent" for your family. That's a family matter - I think that's why you're getting the odd responses.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests