WUSTL vs UTexas vs Cardozo vs Reapply

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Poll ended at Tue May 10, 2011 5:06 pm

WUSTL (40,000/yr)
56%
UTexas (0k)
13%
Cardozo (28,000/yr)
No votes
Reapply
31%

Total votes: 16

brownstudy

Postby brownstudy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:06 pm

LSAT 165 (Oct 2010) 169 (Feb 2011). Wasn't planning on retake until Jan and didn't inform schools of the retake until the day after the test date in Feb. Then I emailed schools to hold my file until March. And emailed several that already rejected me for reconsideration.

With PhD, plan to practice on IP in private sector.

Location preference: east coast or west coast.

Waitlisted: GW, Fordham, Duke.
In review: (submitted material in late Nov 2010): USC, NYU, Cornell.
Rejected by BU, asked for reconsideration on March 4th with Feb LSAT, files pulled for review, waiting.
Rejected: Berkeley (does not consider Feb LSAT); UCLA; BC; Georgetown.

Debt averse? Yes, not confident to get to the top of the class at either school which secures a high-salary job.

Arbiter213

Re: WUSTL vs UTexas vs Cardozo vs Reapply

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Need GPA.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:40 pm

Retake/reapply considering Cardozo is awful and WUSTL/UT place primarily in places you don't want to be.

brownstudy

Postby brownstudy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll withdraw from Cardozo this weekend.

I'm alien currently working under H1B. I came to US 6 years ago for Ph.D., with Graduate GPA around 3.8. Undergraduate grade average is about 87/100, and my undergraduate school was rated by LSAC as comparable to an average US college.

In the data of WUSTL on USnews, 14% goes to NY, NJ, PA, 9% goes to AK, CA, HI, OR, WA. The puzzle seems to be whether these ~20% are top of the class, or there are only 20% of ppl at WU that wanted to practice at these places.

I'm considering reapply but the scholarship from WU this year is very tempting. Another concern is that I'd be older..

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:06 pm

1 year isn't a big difference compared to getting into a better school or getting more money. It doesn't matter whether you're 35 when you graduate or 36.

If you went to WUSTL, there is a decent chance you'll end up in the midwest and not on one of the coasts. Yes you have a good shot at the coasts but it isn't a guarantee like it would be if you went to a school in the area.

Considering your GPA (being a foreign GPA), isn't counted by schools (I think this is the case), your LSAT is going to dominate everything. I think the low 170's should snag you lower T14's at sticker or some of the regional schools with $. I'm actually kind of shocked by your GW rejection (and I think if you'd prefer a full ride there over sticker at a lower T14, a higher LSAT might make their ED program worth considering).

brownstudy

Postby brownstudy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:38 pm

bk1 wrote:1 year isn't a big difference compared to getting into a better school or getting more money. It doesn't matter whether you're 35 when you graduate or 36.

If you went to WUSTL, there is a decent chance you'll end up in the midwest and not on one of the coasts. Yes you have a good shot at the coasts but it isn't a guarantee like it would be if you went to a school in the area.

Considering your GPA (being a foreign GPA), isn't counted by schools (I think this is the case), your LSAT is going to dominate everything. I think the low 170's should snag you lower T14's at sticker or some of the regional schools with $. I'm actually kind of shocked by your GW rejection (and I think if you'd prefer a full ride there over sticker at a lower T14, a higher LSAT might make their ED program worth considering).

GW waitlisted me in Dec and I emailed them in March (got a reply saying they'd be happy to reevaluate) but haven't heard anything since then. What is ED program?

The fund needed for a lower T14 would be hard for me, especially that in this July I need to show the Visa Officer money in the bank enough to cover for three years. Regional schools with $ would be very good but given the results this year, I'm not very positive about results of reapply, unless I can accumulate enough motivation to do LSAT again..

Maybe midwest would be good too. I don't know much about the area but so far it looks nice.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:55 pm

I voted reapply given your grades. Apply early with a better LSAT and prosper.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:00 pm

brownstudy wrote:
bk1 wrote:1 year isn't a big difference compared to getting into a better school or getting more money. It doesn't matter whether you're 35 when you graduate or 36.

GW waitlisted me in Dec and I emailed them in March (got a reply saying they'd be happy to reevaluate) but haven't heard anything since then. What is ED program?

The fund needed for a lower T14 would be hard for me, especially that in this July I need to show the Visa Officer money in the bank enough to cover for three years. Regional schools with $ would be very good but given the results this year, I'm not very positive about results of reapply, unless I can accumulate enough motivation to do LSAT again..

Maybe midwest would be good too. I don't know much about the area but so far it looks nice.

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/apply ... early.aspx

GW has a binding ED program where, if you get it, you automatically get a full tuition scholarship. It's tougher than regular decision to get it (though if you don't get ED they defer you to RD and you can get in RD but won't get the full tuition scholly).

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:18 am

Errr---if you had significant money at Cardozo and wanted to work in NYC in IP---you should NOT withdraw on some TLS advice.

If no significant money---then not a good idea

brownstudy

Postby brownstudy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:44 am

to bk

Thanks for the information. I didn't notice it before (decided not to join any early binding for this application cycle).

to bigkakuna

Got it, thanks. I had the intent to decline admission from Cardozo after getting the admission from WU. I visited Cardozo but did not feel very excited. And I found there is an IP program at WU, which seems pretty good.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”