DNCG vs USC for LA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school for LA?

DNCG
48%
USC
52%

Total votes: 25

TUP

Bronze

DNCG vs USC for LA

Post by TUP » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:48 pm

Assume "only" ~80k debt from either thanks to some outside circumstances (not assuming any income during school in that number). NYU is also an option, but would come with 150k+ debt that I'm not interested in.

My #1 goal is a job in LA. It seems like there are a decent amount of "midlaw" firms that pay less than market, but still low 6 figures. This goes against the conventional bi-modal trolling, but assume I'd be happy with one of those firms over market in a city with terrible weather (i.e. every other major market).

My biggest issue is a lack of ties. If I had ties this would be an easy choice. I've been to LA frequently for business, but never lived there, never went to school there, etc. What I've heard from students actually interviewing in LA is that ties are important, but I'm not sure how important.

What's the best choice?

showNprove

Silver

Re: DNCG vs USC for LA

Post by showNprove » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:55 pm

If the #1 priority is being in L.A. and you have no ties, take USC. If you had ties, I'd say Duke. NYU is probably not worth twice the cost for the SoCal market.

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:57 pm

If you are absolutely certain you want LA, go to USC and use your acceptances and financial aid awards from DNCG to get more money from USC.

My guess is that if you got into DNCG, you are probably qualified for a decent scholarship at USC.

Casey2889

Bronze

Post by Casey2889 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:15 am

why are ties important for LA?

also, what exactly is meant by ties? is the idea that firms don't think you are credibly interested in relocating, or that they are concerned you wouldn't be able to recruit clients.

TUP

Bronze

Post by TUP » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:38 pm

DNCG scholarships and USC scholarship are already similar and apparently USC won't go up anyway.

From what I've heard regarding ties in L.A., firms may not view you as a credible candidate to relocate or may view you as a flight risk with no ties. With so many L.A. area undergrads coming back from T14s, this seems plausible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:05 am

TUP wrote:DNCG scholarships and USC scholarship are already similar and apparently USC won't go up anyway.

From what I've heard regarding ties in L.A., firms may not view you as a credible candidate to relocate or may view you as a flight risk with no ties. With so many L.A. area undergrads coming back from T14s, this seems plausible.
This. Its a tough call though. If you went to duke and interned in LA 1L year (most internships are for free so you should have a strong shot at getting one), you would have some ties to the area going into 2l. But it will be tougher. How about UCLA? Can you get in there. That would be more ideal.

TUP

Bronze

Post by TUP » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:53 am

I've thought about that and I would think a 1L summer would be sufficient for ties if I had the grades going into OCI. However, it's a big risk when plenty of USC/UCLA/etc. undergrads at T14s will be heading back to LA as well. I'd also obviously prefer to be in LA during the next 3 years.

Would UCLA be any better assuming the same financial situation? I realize they're slightly higher ranked and might do better outside of LA, but they seem equal in LA with the NLJ250 % going back and forth year to year.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:04 pm

If you get into UCLA, you should probably take it over USC, all else being equal.

TUP

Bronze

Post by TUP » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:22 pm

Appreciate the advice.

The poll is almost 50/50, but I wonder how many are DNCG votes that just vote on rankings every time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:22 pm

If you are not dead set on Big Law and you are sure you want LA, go to USC. But, as suggested above, squeeze more money out of them first.

TUP

Bronze

Post by TUP » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:53 am

It seems like their merit awards are capped at 90k unfortunately.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”