Cardozo vs Brooklyn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
law's cool

Cardozo vs Brooklyn

Postby law's cool » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:15 pm

From what I've seen and heard, in general, the job prospects coming out of both schools are very similar. They both send almost exactly the same percentage of students to the NLJ 250 firms and after that I have found it very difficult to get any reliable data about how successful the two schools are at sending students to small and mid-sized firms.

I just wanted to post this to see if people would disagree with the claim that both schools, despite the difference in their USN Rankings, have very similar job prospects for students.

This is important to my decision because I just came back from both ASDs at these schools. While I actually was far more impressed with the way Dozo presented itself as compared to BLS, I have the feeling that it would be easier to do well at BLS since it seemed to be (on the whole) a less competitive environment. If the job prospects are the same at both schools, which the numbers I have seen thus far seem to indicate, why pick the school that is tougher to do well at and has more stringent requirements for admission (and should therefore probably have more intelligent students enrolling next year)?

BarbellDreams

Re: Cardozo vs Brooklyn

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:29 pm

I think Dozo is better than BLS, but with that said neither of these schools at anything close to sticker are smart decisions given the job prospects.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:07 pm

law's cool wrote:From what I've seen and heard, in general, the job prospects coming out of both schools are very similar. They both send almost exactly the same percentage of students to the NLJ 250 firms and after that I have found it very difficult to get any reliable data about how successful the two schools are at sending students to small and mid-sized firms.

I just wanted to post this to see if people would disagree with the claim that both schools, despite the difference in their USN Rankings, have very similar job prospects for students.

This is important to my decision because I just came back from both ASDs at these schools. While I actually was far more impressed with the way Dozo presented itself as compared to BLS, I have the feeling that it would be easier to do well at BLS since it seemed to be (on the whole) a less competitive environment. If the job prospects are the same at both schools, which the numbers I have seen thus far seem to indicate, why pick the school that is tougher to do well at and has more stringent requirements for admission (and should therefore probably have more intelligent students enrolling next year)?

Sorry but I doubt there is much of a difference between the students at Brooklyn and Cardozo. People go to certain schools for very different reasons. I met a lot of people at both ASDs who were considering the schools because of full rides, while they had acceptances to schools like GW, BU, and Vandy. Choose between them based on programs (ie. if you want to do IP go to Cardozo), scholly if you have one.. but not because Brooklyn is 'easier' than Cardozo.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:24 pm

I think these schools should merge. They could spin their new combination by stating that now twice as many of their grads get biglaw.

I would focus on trying to figure out the unemployment rate of the two schools. The numbers employed in small and mid-size firms is probably a few percentage points below. Really though, it should serve as warning enough that the schools won't clearly tell you the answers to employment questions. It would be like going to buy a car and asking the salesman if it will run more than 10,000 miles and instead of answering "yes" he points you to confusing statistics.
Last edited by MrAnon on Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saul Goodman

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:24 pm

Don't go to BS of Law.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”