Where should I go??!!! YOU BE THE JUDGE!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What's the best option?

Cornell –w/ 75k – COA: $150,000
61%
Georgetown –w/ ?? – COA: $204,000
2%
Texas w/ 30k – COA: $105,000
26%
UCLA w/ 39k — COA: $150,000
4%
Washington & Lee w/ full tuition – COA: $54,000
7%

Total votes: 158

ahduth

Re: Where should I go??!!! YOU BE THE JUDGE!

Postby ahduth » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:32 am

NorCalBruin wrote:Damn Vanwinkle, thanks for the extremely thorough (and I might add fairly convincing) reply.

I'm flying out to Austin in a week, followed by Ithaca for Cornell's ASW. If anyone has any "must see" or "must do" things at either, I'm all ears. You know, things that really give a true sense of a place.

I want to say Vanwinkle is from Texas for some reason. But I might just be completely making that up, as I can't for the life of me remember why I think that.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:50 am

Agree w/ Cornell, but Cornell's not very portable, is it? I was under the impression that it is generally an NYC feeder.

ETA:
Saul Goodman wrote:My name is Judge.

QF subtle AD reference. I like it.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:18 pm

Thank you for the very helpful responses thus far.

8 people (so far) voted for W&L... but no one mentioned it once in the comments... thoughts?

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:00 pm

lisjjen wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:TBF, the Ithaca farmer's market is pretty unique. More like a hippy arts fair than a place with a bunch of guys in overalls selling sweet corn (not that that's not awesome too).

Looks like somebody has never been to Austin.

I saw some shops that sold cowboy boots, but they did so ironically. Also saw a couple of American Apparels, organic food stores and open air arts and crafts markets, but nobody in overalls. Also, I went with a Berkeley grad who said that the whole South Congress neighborhood was almost exactly like the hippie parts of San Fran.

Austin and Berkeley are considered to be almost sister towns. Everyone I know at Berkeley who went to UT-Austin as an undergrad has said that Austin is just like Berkeley and is nothing like the rest of Texas.

I vote for either Cornell or G-town, but I happen to love G-town and DC personally. I vote Cornell solely for the ivy prestige points, but I would choose G-town out of all of your choices.

Edit: "fun and outdoorsy" would do well in DC. There is a ton to see and do, and DC is a very walkable town. VA is nearby and has great places to go hiking, and even a wine country (my friends are obsessed, but I can't vouch for this personally). You would be a quick 5 hr drive or so from NY, and would have access to some of the best federal internships year round.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:06 pm

sundance95 wrote:Agree w/ Cornell, but Cornell's not very portable, is it? I was under the impression that it is generally an NYC feeder.

Eh, I think that's mostly self-selection. The folks who want to go to Boston tend to find stuff in Boston, the folks who want to go to DC tend to find stuff there, and same for Seattle and Chicago. I know people going to firms in San Francisco with no ties to that area. It's definitely easier to find stuff in NY because that's where our primary job fair is (and that's where most of the jobs are), but people go to job fairs in other cities too, and find stuff.

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:27 pm

In terms of QOL Austin is hands down the best place to live out of OP's options. I'm from the West Coast as well and would take Austin over Ithaca any day.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:34 pm

From Scholarship Negotiation thread:

juliachild-ish wrote:I just had a major success in negotiating my scholarship from UTexas! They had initially offered me $93,000 over three years (in-state tuition as a non-resident, plus an additional $15,000 discount per year). But then Northwestern gave me $150,000, so I sent in my request to Texas, and got a response two days later, upping their offer to a full ride. I am so happy I'm on TLS, or I would never have known to ask for more money. Yay!

Just something to consider with those UT and Cornell scholarship offers...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”