Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Columbia vs. U Penn (Both Stickers)

Poll ended at Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:53 pm

Columbia
84%
U Penn
16%

Total votes: 81

sonervous88

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby sonervous88 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:22 pm

ahduth wrote:
kwais wrote:If 20 years from now, you feel that you may have had an opportunity at CLS that you didn't at Penn and this afffected you career path, will you care that you "enjoyed the feel" of Penn over CLS? Probably not. This is professional school, not vacation

It's pretty hard to gauge something like this however. If they'd gone to CLS, been miserable, and thereby gotten significantly worse grades - Penn would have still been the right choice. I think it's rather difficult to decide you like/dislike a school over the course of an ASW, but there's a definite argument for allowing "feel" into the equation on some level.

+1. and i haven't seen anything that would suggest that i'd have more opportunities at CLS than at UPenn. they're both great schools. it's what you make of your education. and above posters saying that the difference is so great that they wouldn't even bother applying to Upenn is arrogant and pretentious.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:31 pm

sonervous88 wrote:
ahduth wrote:
kwais wrote:If 20 years from now, you feel that you may have had an opportunity at CLS that you didn't at Penn and this afffected you career path, will you care that you "enjoyed the feel" of Penn over CLS? Probably not. This is professional school, not vacation

It's pretty hard to gauge something like this however. If they'd gone to CLS, been miserable, and thereby gotten significantly worse grades - Penn would have still been the right choice. I think it's rather difficult to decide you like/dislike a school over the course of an ASW, but there's a definite argument for allowing "feel" into the equation on some level.

+1. and i haven't seen anything that would suggest that i'd have more opportunities at CLS than at UPenn. they're both great schools. it's what you make of your education. and above posters saying that the difference is so great that they wouldn't even bother applying to Upenn is arrogant and pretentious.

lulz, that was me. And I really didn't apply to Penn:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ahduth

I was just lazy, I should've applied there. I even had the essays largely written, I was just burnt out on applications. Who knows, they might've given me some money. Also there was no assurance whatsoever of getting into Columbia with my numbers, but I figured I'd get one of CCN.

My "not bother applying to Penn" post was sarcastic trolling - asking for a quantification of the difference between CLS and Penn is just dumb.

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:03 pm

ahduth wrote:
sonervous88 wrote:
ahduth wrote:

lulz, that was me. And I really didn't apply to Penn:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ahduth

I was just lazy, I should've applied there. I even had the essays largely written, I was just burnt out on applications. Who knows, they might've given me some money. Also there was no assurance whatsoever of getting into Columbia with my numbers, but I figured I'd get one of CCN.

My "not bother applying to Penn" post was sarcastic trolling - asking for a quantification of the difference between CLS and Penn is just dumb.

:) oh okay thank god don't blame you. it was stressful. i thought you were serious i was very concerned. glad you got in though! Congrats!

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:24 pm

ahduth wrote:My "not bother applying to Penn" post was sarcastic trolling - asking for a quantification of the difference between CLS and Penn is just dumb.

Agreed, but if one wants to work in New York upon graduation, I would strongly advise against taking Penn over Columbia at equal price (if schollies were in play, then I could understand choosing Penn). The only East Coast market Penn has a tangible advantage over Columbia is Philadelphia. Is there a huge difference in placement elsewhere? No. Is that placement difference big enough that it should factor into one's decision? Most definitely.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”