Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Columbia vs. U Penn (Both Stickers)

Poll ended at Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:53 pm

Columbia
68
84%
U Penn
13
16%
 
Total votes: 81

dbshjb
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby dbshjb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:53 pm

From the rank point of view, Columbia > U Penn. How about other factors should be considered for making a decision?

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby delusional » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:59 pm

dbshjb wrote:From the rank point of view, Columbia > U Penn. How about other factors should be considered for making a decision?

I had a looong conversation with a friend in Penn the other day. While he's happy there, he seemed pretty clear that I should take Columbia if I have the opportunity.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby kwais » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:01 pm

NY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Philly

User avatar
camelcrema
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby camelcrema » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:03 pm

What kinds of other factors are important to you? Penn is a prettier building, but Columbia's mascot is better. 8)

barry
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby barry » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:10 pm

Prolly the only reasons to take Penn over Columbia would be family/friends in Philly or Lower COL or if you really loved the atmosphere and didn't like the feel at columbia or something, besides that Columbia is TCR

dbshjb
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby dbshjb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:26 pm

Speaking of the atmosphere, Penn looks friendlier while Columbia is more intensive and competitive. Studying at Penn may be easier compared with Columbia. Three years law school, we do not only study, but also consider life quality. Somebody said more stressed in Columbia compared with in Penn. Correct? Or bias?

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby Emma. » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:31 pm

This is a decision you are going to need to make on your own. Visit both schools. If you don't like Columbia when you visit don't go there, regardless of the rankings difference.

All other things being equal you obviously should pick CLS.

dbshjb
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby dbshjb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:54 pm

[quote][/quote]

Do you think it is enough for you to have right jugement just based on two day visit for each school? I am sure you can not see overall pictures.

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby St.Remy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:42 pm

dbshjb wrote: Do you think it is enough for you to have right jugement just based on two day visit for each school? I am sure you can not see overall pictures.


And how long does it take for an "overall picture" to form? A week? A month? A single day is more than enough time to get a feel for a school, and if OP has visited both and not had a strong preference for Penn then Columbia is TCR.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:46 pm

IBTveyron

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby ahduth » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:03 pm

St.Remy wrote:
dbshjb wrote: Do you think it is enough for you to have right jugement just based on two day visit for each school? I am sure you can not see overall pictures.


And how long does it take for an "overall picture" to form? A week? A month? A single day is more than enough time to get a feel for a school, and if OP has visited both and not had a strong preference for Penn then Columbia is TCR.


At least a year I would say.

You should go live in both Philly and uptown Manhattan for a year each. Then you will need to go live a year somewhere else in an attempt to gain some distance (both figurative and literal - you don't want to just stay in the city you're in because it's easy). Then you can make your decision.

Or you could just go to Columbia.

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby TheFactor » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:34 pm

dbshjb wrote:


Do you think it is enough for you to have right jugement just based on two day visit for each school? I am sure you can not see overall pictures.

flame?

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby Moxie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:41 pm

Emma. wrote:This is a decision you are going to need to make on your own. Visit both schools. If you don't like Columbia when you visit don't go there, regardless of the rankings difference.

All other things being equal you obviously should pick CLS.


If you have a definite preference for Penn, then go there. But otherwise, Columbia's superior employment prospects should make the difference.

dbshjb
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby dbshjb » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:20 pm

How much difference between Columbia and U Penn in terms of employment prospects or future career? Columbia is Number 4 and U Penn is Number 7. Both are Ivy schools. What impact could make for future?

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:39 pm

dbshjb wrote:How much difference between Columbia and U Penn in terms of employment prospects or future career? Columbia is Number 4 and U Penn is Number 7. Both are Ivy schools. What impact could make for future?


are you interested in a JD/MBA? A friend of mine choose Penn over Columbia (he did get a little $ from Penn) because he liked the atmosphere better and really wanted to do the three year JD/MBA program. Wharton > Columbia B school

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby ahduth » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:44 pm

dbshjb wrote:How much difference between Columbia and U Penn in terms of employment prospects or future career? Columbia is Number 4 and U Penn is Number 7. Both are Ivy schools. What impact could make for future?


I estimate approximately 3 points of difference for the future. Let me put it this way - I didn't even apply to Penn the difference was so drastic.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby Moxie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:52 pm

dbshjb wrote:How much difference between Columbia and U Penn in terms of employment prospects or future career? Columbia is Number 4 and U Penn is Number 7. Both are Ivy schools. What impact could make for future?


Employment prospects.

dbshjb
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby dbshjb » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:19 pm

How do you think the class rank contributing to employment difference after graduation? For example, if studying at Columbia, you might get bottom 50% because of intensive competition, which obviously not easily get employed although you graduate from Columbia. If you study at U Penn, you can relatively easy to survive and could get top 50%, may be top 20 to 30%.

Job placement not only depends on which school you graduate, but also your success at the school. Am I correct?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:56 am

Unless you want to work in Philly, Columbia hands down.

sonervous88
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby sonervous88 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:00 pm

i seriously disagree. i'm facing a similar scenario. it's 3 years of your life. it's a 3 spot difference. cost of living at upenn is going to be cheaper. go where you're happy. i visited both and i didn't like columbia but i loved upenn. if i'm miserable and want to jump off the empire state building the whole time i'm in law school i won't do well. maybe it's just me but it's 3 years of your life. (also if u got into both i'm assuming you have other scholarship offers. why not try to leverage it and score some money at upenn? just a thought).

barry
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby barry » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:05 pm

sonervous88 wrote:i seriously disagree. i'm facing a similar scenario. it's 3 years of your life. it's a 3 spot difference. cost of living at upenn is going to be cheaper. go where you're happy. i visited both and i didn't like columbia but i loved upenn. if i'm miserable and want to jump off the empire state building the whole time i'm in law school i won't do well. maybe it's just me but it's 3 years of your life. (also if u got into both i'm assuming you have other scholarship offers. why not try to leverage it and score some money at upenn? just a thought).


+1 at this level of schools you should go where you'll be happy (if you hate NYC don't go to CLS).... someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think the biggest difference in placement will be in how elite the firms are that people are getting i don't think the percentages getting big law are that different (especially since UPenn has a way smaller class)

dannyde7
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:27 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby dannyde7 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:06 pm

This may not be worth anything, but I went to Penn undergrad and currently live in New York. I talk to a lot of NYU and Columbia kids and I'm so happy that I spent my college years in Philly rather than Manhattan. Philly is so much more conducive to being a student, not only because it is more manageable and cheaper, but because it offers a lot of a luxury lifestyle (great restaurants, shopping, etc.) while not being in your face about it. This lets you study hard during the week without being distracted. In New York, everything is in your face all the time and it's hard to concentrate.

Just my two cents.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby kwais » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:09 pm

barry wrote:
sonervous88 wrote:i seriously disagree. i'm facing a similar scenario. it's 3 years of your life. it's a 3 spot difference. cost of living at upenn is going to be cheaper. go where you're happy. i visited both and i didn't like columbia but i loved upenn. if i'm miserable and want to jump off the empire state building the whole time i'm in law school i won't do well. maybe it's just me but it's 3 years of your life. (also if u got into both i'm assuming you have other scholarship offers. why not try to leverage it and score some money at upenn? just a thought).


+1 at this level of schools you should go where you'll be happy (if you hate NYC don't go to CLS).... someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think the biggest difference in placement will be in how elite the firms are that people are getting i don't think the percentages getting big law are that different (especially since UPenn has a way smaller class)


Good point but 1) you can't talk about percentages and Penn's smaller class in the same breath. It's PERCENTAGES and 2) I agree that you should go where you want. However, the 3 years of your life thing goes both ways. If 20 years from now, you feel that you may have had an opportunity at CLS that you didn't at Penn and this afffected you career path, will you care that you "enjoyed the feel" of Penn over CLS? Probably not. This is professional school, not vacation

barry
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby barry » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:12 pm

kwais wrote:
barry wrote:
sonervous88 wrote:i seriously disagree. i'm facing a similar scenario. it's 3 years of your life. it's a 3 spot difference. cost of living at upenn is going to be cheaper. go where you're happy. i visited both and i didn't like columbia but i loved upenn. if i'm miserable and want to jump off the empire state building the whole time i'm in law school i won't do well. maybe it's just me but it's 3 years of your life. (also if u got into both i'm assuming you have other scholarship offers. why not try to leverage it and score some money at upenn? just a thought).


+1 at this level of schools you should go where you'll be happy (if you hate NYC don't go to CLS).... someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think the biggest difference in placement will be in how elite the firms are that people are getting i don't think the percentages getting big law are that different (especially since UPenn has a way smaller class)


Good point but 1) you can't talk about percentages and Penn's smaller class in the same breath. It's PERCENTAGES and 2) I agree that you should go where you want. However, the 3 years of your life thing goes both ways. If 20 years from now, you feel that you may have had an opportunity at CLS that you didn't at Penn and this afffected you career path, will you care that you "enjoyed the feel" of Penn over CLS? Probably not. This is professional school, not vacation


I understand, i was just explaining how the 2 schools could place similar percentages despite C being a notch above (ie Penn has less people to place)

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Columbia vs. UPenn (Both Stickes)

Postby ahduth » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:38 pm

kwais wrote:If 20 years from now, you feel that you may have had an opportunity at CLS that you didn't at Penn and this afffected you career path, will you care that you "enjoyed the feel" of Penn over CLS? Probably not. This is professional school, not vacation


It's pretty hard to gauge something like this however. If they'd gone to CLS, been miserable, and thereby gotten significantly worse grades - Penn would have still been the right choice. I think it's rather difficult to decide you like/dislike a school over the course of an ASW, but there's a definite argument for allowing "feel" into the equation on some level.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], gerrydawg and 5 guests