Michigan(75k) v WUSTL (135k) v UIUC (ft) v IUB (ft + 3k/yr)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Re: Michigan(75k) v WUSTL (135k) v UIUC (ft) v IUB (ft + 3k/yr)

Postby Cavalier » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:24 pm

adt231 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:I think you'd be crazy to turn down 75k at Michigan for any school outside the T14.

No matter what one's career goals are? Wow.

Unless OP has a family situation that basically compels her to find work in Indianapolis after graduation, Michigan is the much safer choice. If OP goes to Michigan, she can target Indianapolis firms over her 1L summer and interview with the Indianapolis firms at OCI, and also use a lot of bids on New York firms. If she doesn't get something in Indianapolis, she'll probably get something in New York assuming decent grades and interviewing ability. By contrast, students at the other schools are more restricted to secondary markets, where there are fewer jobs available. Furthermore, by turning down Michigan, OP will be basically closing a lot of doors. Perhaps in law school she will discover she loves appellate litigation or antitrust and will want to work in DoJ Civil Appellate or DoJ Antitrust; those options will be much more accessible (although still very tough to get, to be fair) for Michigan students than for students outside the T14.

If OP simply must work in Indianapolis, attending one of the lower-ranked schools will enable her to take any job in Indianapolis without regard to pay (since there will be little debt to worry about).

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:36 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby cubswin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:47 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Yeah I got that for working in Indy IUB is better but I'm saying Michigan is actually the more risk adverse choice. I also never really got that the op was 100% HAVE to be in Indy:

FYI it's "risk averse," not "risk adverse." I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that this was a typo, but you did it twice ITT.

Postby pinkzebra » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:37 pm

Last edited by pinkzebra on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Borhas » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:34 am

pinkzebra wrote:Plan to work in Indianapolis, and fairly debt averse. Definitely not a biglaw or bust person... Have $25k in loans from undergrad and would like to keep it under $75k total... So obviously that knocks out Michigan, but the general consensus would choose Michigan over all of the other options... So I guess the question is, with Indianapolis as my target area and no set in stone career path, is it really just whatever I like best out of WUSTL, UIUC, and IUB?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”