Hofstra vs CUNY Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fbold

Hofstra vs CUNY Law

Postby fbold » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:05 pm

I have received acceptances from a number of schools but I am really interested in Hofstra they threw a lot of money at me and CUNY which can cost next to nothing. What are folks thoughts on this?

bigkahuna2020

Re: Hofstra vs CUNY Law

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:43 pm

What are the stips on the schollie and what do you want to practice?

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:48 pm

Unless the Hofstra money is essentially guaranteed for all three years...I would lean towards CUNY. However, CUNY will pretty much limit you to public interest law and that may or may not appeal to you. CUNY's low cost is attractive and if you work hard and make the right connections, you may be able to carve out a decent living in the future.

Of course, as many will say, if you can bite the bullet and shoot for a higher LSAT, more doors will open. Its a gamble.

fbold

Postby fbold » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:02 am

Thanks yall. As far as the Hofstra scholarship, I need to stay within the top 40 of my class. I hope to go into immigration/international law. Does rank not matter? I know that Hofstra is 84* tier 2.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:26 pm

Go with CUNY, or try to negotiate getting rid of the stipulations. The T2 ranking doesn't mean anything when comparing these schools. Hofstra is the very bottom tier of the NY market, as is CUNY, however they have strong public interest ties and your job prospects (and financial risk) are significantly better. Best of luck.

Rule11

Postby Rule11 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:37 pm

fbold wrote:Thanks yall. As far as the Hofstra scholarship, I need to stay within the top 40 of my class. I hope to go into immigration/international law. Does rank not matter? I know that Hofstra is 84* tier 2.

Immigration law is doable. I'm not sure what you have in mind when you say "international law," but it doesn't really matter. Pretty much any definition of international law will not include jobs that will be realistically attainable from those schools.

Hofstra is atrocious, and those stipulations are just short of criminal. Go to CUNY.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”