loyola new orleans?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
seairak

loyola new orleans?

Postby seairak » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:52 am

thoughts? good school? bad school? good employment opportunities after graduation? i've checked out some of the statistics and done plenty of research, but i wanted to post this in case anyone could elaborate further.

awsiler

Re: loyola new orleans?

Postby awsiler » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:01 pm

Wanting to know the same... Love the area, love what I hear so far about the school... would really just love to know if I'm in!

LawBound11

Postby LawBound11 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:03 pm

+1 --- Any additional information would be great!!

dey206

Postby dey206 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:10 am

Depends on what you are looking for. If you want to do Big Law then you need to be in the top 5 or 1% to make it out of the city, or I think 10% in New Orleans. But if you looking to work in New Orleans or the immediate region you should do okay finding a job. I know a girl who got a job in NY but she is from there.

New Orleans is amazing all around. The campus is on broadway so not the main campus and it's decent. I guess let me know if you have any more questions. I will be going in the fall but lived in the city for a few years during undergrad.

gboyle138

Postby gboyle138 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks for the information. It is hard to find much info on LoyNo. It seems to be well-regarded in the city/state which makes me happy. I'm not terribly interested in trying to get a biglaw position; rather something that pays decently, is a job I like, and still allows me to enjoy my social life. Where would you recommend living in the city? Is close to campus OK?

lawboy81

Postby lawboy81 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:26 am

Depends on wht you mean by pays decently. I bet that most Loyola kids end up finding somthing within NOLA, maybe after sevral months of unemployment and searching. Probably best bet are small personal injury firms and/or state/ city governmet paying $45 a year. Maybe if you're top third and a good interviewer/ networker you can find a small/ medium insurance defense firm type gig that starts at $60. If you're top 5% you can get NOLA Biglaw which I believe starts at about $100. Certainly there are some people at the bottow of the class who won't find any kind of legal job.

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:05 pm

just to be fair, I love New Orleans and Loyola has a beautiful campus in an awesome part of town. i talked to somebody this past weekend who graduated in the top 10% of his class within the past five years. He's doing great--has a great house, new car, cool job. He did, however, mention that a lot of his colleagues who finished better than he did were still unemployed. This fact was attributed to their lack of networking throughout law school.

Take what you will from that, but I have heard that for an extra couple lsat points, you can get into Tulane Law, which perhaps has a better support network in the city.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:22 pm

While the school places better than most T3/T4s, it's still not that great.

PM me if you have any questions about:
1. The curriculum
2. The curve
3. Anything else you can think of

I attend Tulane Law and my gf attend Loyola Law.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”