Barry Transfer

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
romanista

Barry Transfer

Postby romanista » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:14 am

So my situation is that I got into Florida Coastal and Barry, wait-listed at St. Thomas and got an AAMPLE acceptance at Nova Southeastern. I'm not going to Florida Coastal and I can't afford the risk of AAMPLE.

What I would like to know is if anyone knows anything about transferring from Barry to UF/FSU or possibly Miami after 1L?

I know someone is going to say retake the LSAT, but I live in PA and I don't really have any options in the area since Temple denied me and I don't foresee raising my score enough to consider Penn. My original plan was to move to Florida and take a prep course while working there (so I can get instate tuition by August 2012) but I really don't know anyone down there so that will be difficult...

Thanks

fakemoney

Re: Barry Transfer

Postby fakemoney » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:32 am

Why exactly can't you retake?

Anyway, the transfer possibilities anthology is here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/

DISCLAIMER: Everyone here, and there, is going to tell you that going to any school with the intent to transfer is an awful idea since it's extremely hard to predict where you'll end up in your class -- whereas scoring higher on the LSAT is well within the reach of most people. It's one test vs going to a school for a whole year, shelling out money for transfer apps, getting reccommendations, etc., losing your class rank/connections at a school and starting out from scratch... the list goes on.

romanista

Postby romanista » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:37 am

Well, I thought as much. I didn't really study all that much the first time I took the LSAT. I do feel that I would need a prep class after I graduate this term in order to do better. I just heard from Barry today so eventually I will realize that going there would be a bad idea. Still I guess it's nice to get into more than one school. Thanks for the link.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:45 am

Romanista, I know acceptances are awesome, and the thought of going to school is an exciting one. However, I'd really caution you to consider any of your current options as viable choices. They are some of the most poorly regarded law schools in the country, in a state with many higher ranked, more competitive schools. Additionally, at these schools, scholarships are typically lost, attrition is high and job prospects non-existent. If you really didn't study for the LSAT, you can probably retake and improve your chances immensely. With a 160+ (if your GPA is decent) FSU and UF can be real possibilities, as well as Temple.

The LSAT forums here have a great reputation for help with prep. best of luck to you!

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:01 pm

If you have no connections in Florida, moving there for a TTTT seems like a terrible idea. Like the others said, raising your score to get into somewhere like Temple might be within your reach. And I would consider Widener over these schools if you are from PA, more so if you can get money. By no means am I endorsing Widener as a school (see other threads here) but it is actually somewhat respected in DE and the Philly area, at least for a T4. By comparison, the schools you mentioned are respected nowhere. I do know a couple recent Widener grads who are actually employed.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:14 pm

You could put yourself through an expensive potentially career ending world of hell trying to fight the odds by transferring from your TTTT with almost certain failure as your reward, or you could just take some time, study and work diligently to improve your LSAT score, and go to a better, cheaper school that you'll feel happy graduating from.

baller3007

Postby baller3007 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:39 pm

I'm in the exact same boat you're in. I got accepted to Nova AAMPLE this morning. I might defer and do it in 2012, but I would like to move down there this summer. If you're interested I could really use a roommate...

Mase

Postby Mase » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:48 pm

baller3007 wrote:I'm in the exact same boat you're in. I got accepted to Nova AAMPLE this morning. I might defer and do it in 2012, but I would like to move down there this summer. If you're interested I could really use a roommate...

Anyone else out there want to go down with the sinking ship? :shock:

baller3007

Postby baller3007 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:53 pm

Not necessarily...just feeling some things out and weighing my options. I was planning on moving to south Florida this summer anyway

Mase

Postby Mase » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:07 pm

Personally I don't know how one could focus on an AAMPLE program with all the eye candy there. Considering moving to a very cold climate with little to do (lack of candy), where playing logic games will be fun and nail the lsat on your retake.

baller3007

Postby baller3007 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:11 pm

I grew up in New England...I'm sick of cold weather. To me, shoveling snow and freezing my ass off are the biggest distractions ever

Mase

Postby Mase » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:14 pm

baller3007 wrote:I grew up in New England...I'm sick of cold weather. To me, shoveling snow and freezing my ass off are the biggest distractions ever

Sometimes I don't shovel and then the mailman doesn't deliver my Cooley scholly info.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Let me put it this way: If you choose to attend Barry, you are locking yourself out of the practice of what I will call "legit-law." This basically means you will be looking at DUI defense, personal injury, document review, temp work. One possibly bright area could be public interest organizations that probably do not care as much where you went to school - this may be the only "legit" kind of law you could get into.

seriously, move to Miami or something, enroll in yoga/baseball/pottery/whatever-floats-your-boat-to-make-friends and study your ass off to up your LSAT. then you should be able to increase your score and if you can land UF + instate tuition you will be fine.

Lawlcat

Postby Lawlcat » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:49 pm

It's not at all unheard of for people to jump 10 points or more on the LSAT with diligent practice. Seriously. GPA is hard to fix, but LSAT is not.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”