NYU (75k) or Columbia (unknown)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

If Columbia doesn't send an offer by April 4th, what would you pick?

Columbia @ unknown $$
8
27%
NYU @ 75k
22
73%
 
Total votes: 30

User avatar
Ship87
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:53 pm

NYU (75k) or Columbia (unknown)?

Postby Ship87 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:05 pm

Today I got some good news that is making my law school decision much more difficult. NYU gave me a Dean's award that totals $75k over three years. The deadline to accept the award is April 4th. Columbia however has not given me a financial aid package yet.

Although this might change in the coming week and a half, I'm debating what to do come the morning of April 4th if Columbia hasn't sent me a package yet. Columbia is my first choice and I would love to go there, but I don't feel right turning down $75k for an unknown amount of money. NYC is where I want to live and practice and I know both schools would serve me great, but I would rather be affiliated with Columbia for the rest of my life.

For some pertinent background info that might give insight to those knowledgeable with how Columbia's aid works: My parents income combined is right at ~100k, and I make less than $10k a year as a student. I also have no prior educational debt. I don't know if my parents income is too high to qualify for a decent amount of aid or not.

Based on this info and my preferences what do you think would be the best thing to do come April 4th if Columbia hasn't responded?

User avatar
samsonyte16
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: NYU (75k) or Columbia (unknown)?

Postby samsonyte16 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:17 pm

No idea what the aid offer might look like, but have you considered calling Columbia and explaining the situation to them? If you tell them they are your first choice, maybe they will expedite the process.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: NYU (75k) or Columbia (unknown)?

Postby Knock » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:18 pm

If Columbia hasn't responded, accept the NYU scholarship. I'd email/call CLS ASAP now and explain your situation though.

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: NYU (75k) or Columbia (unknown)?

Postby St.Remy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:20 pm

From what I understand Columbia has yet to send out the majority of its merit aid offers. Give Columbia a call and mention NYU's generous offer (more advice here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373). There's a good chance they will offer you something.

Edit: Oops, missed the part about time constraints.
Last edited by St.Remy on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: NYU (75k) or Columbia (unknown)?

Postby Knock » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:21 pm

St.Remy wrote:From what I understand Columbia has yet to send out the majority of its merit aid offers. Sit tight for a while and if you don't hear anything from Columbia give them a call and mention NYU's generous offer (more advice here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373). You still have some time before you need to make a decision one way or the other, so no need to rush.


He has to accept the NYU scholarship by April 4th. I'd get in contact with CLS right away.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: NYU (75k) or Columbia (unknown)?

Postby rayiner » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:23 pm

NYU unless CLS matches or beats.

If you want biglaw in NYC there is zero reason not to go to NYU.

User avatar
Hobbes89
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:12 am

Re: NYU (75k) or Columbia (unknown)?

Postby Hobbes89 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:23 pm

Judging from last year's CLS thread, this is nothing new (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=97781&hilit=columbia+financial+aid+award&start=350). It looks like they'll get back to you by the deadline (I sent in an NYU offer as well, I'm worried too). I don't think we'll have to make a decision without knowing what CLS is offering.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: NYU (75k) or Columbia (unknown)?

Postby ahduth » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:28 pm

Ship87 wrote:I would rather be affiliated with Columbia for the rest of my life.


Please go to Columbia, as I'd rather not go to school with someone making this comment.

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: NYU (75k) or Columbia (unknown)?

Postby mst » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:29 pm

Knock wrote:If Columbia hasn't responded, accept the NYU scholarship. I'd email/call CLS ASAP now and explain your situation though.


The difference between the schools NYC biglaw placement is marginal. This is the correct advice. If CLS doesn't give you close to that 75k take the money and run. And judging by past years I don't see you getting more than 50k from CLS best case scenario... most likely 30-45k. So don't cross your fingers if CLS doesn't bite by the 4th and say "well maybe ill get 75k from them after the 4th anyways." Enjoy NYU!!! Congrats.

User avatar
hotthaichick
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:59 am

Re: NYU (75k) or Columbia (unknown)?

Postby hotthaichick » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:31 pm

Congrats on the scholarship!! You should go to NYU with me:)

emmbar53
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: NYU (75k) or Columbia (unknown)?

Postby emmbar53 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:33 pm

OP, when you accept the award, do you have to withdraw from all other schools? If it is just an issue of making a deposit, then make the deposit and wait for CLS.

User avatar
Ship87
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:53 pm

Re: NYU (75k) or Columbia (unknown)?

Postby Ship87 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:52 pm

ahduth wrote:
Ship87 wrote:I would rather be affiliated with Columbia for the rest of my life.


Please go to Columbia, as I'd rather not go to school with someone making this comment.


I don't see how this is some terrible sort of comment? This whole forum is based on trying to get into "better" and more prestigious schools. I think, outside of law, the Columbia name does confer some benefits that NYU doesn't. Of course, you shouldn't make a law school decision solely based on what people outside of law think about the school, and I'm not. But I do like Columbia a lot as an institution and a law school, and because it was the school I was "aiming" to get into when I started this whole thing, I have some residual desire to fulfill that goal. I made this thread to see what people who don't share my enthusiasm for one school over the other think of the situation and I appreciate the replies.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm glad to hear that based on last year's experience that Columbia will likely get back by the deadline. I am contacting Columbia ASAP tomorrow; I received the award this afternoon.

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: NYU (75k) or Columbia (unknown)?

Postby sarahh » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:52 pm

You can also call NYU and ask them if they will extend the deadline.

User avatar
Ship87
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:53 pm

Re: NYU (75k) or Columbia (unknown)?

Postby Ship87 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:54 pm

emmbar53 wrote:OP, when you accept the award, do you have to withdraw from all other schools? If it is just an issue of making a deposit, then make the deposit and wait for CLS.


Yeah I have to accept and go not just make a deposit

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: NYU (75k) or Columbia (unknown)?

Postby dissonance1848 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:57 pm

This is a no brainer. Unless CLS matches or exceeds NYU, go to NYU.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beinghuman, ponderingmeerkat and 7 guests