BC v GW v Others

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Sandstorm

BC v GW v Others

Postby Sandstorm » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:48 pm

I want to get into some type of corporate law. I'm most interested in law involving M&A or private equity. So I plan on also getting an MBA, and will apply to the MBA program sometime during 1L. Thus, I want to take the MBA program into consideration when choosing which school to go to, even though I understand the law school is the more important of the two.

I've spent time in both Boston and DC, and could see myself living in either city. I don't want to go to school in NYC but could also see myself ending up there after school too. Out of the three, I think DC is my favorite city but thats of minor consideration.

Boston College (25K a year)
George Washington (15K a year)

William and Mary (15K a year)
BU (Waitlisted)
Cornell (Reserve)

I'm a 167, and 3.68. I have a huge number of softs but none of them are special in themselves. I really want to get into Cornell, but from the 3 I've gotten into BC, GW and W&M which would you suggest? Based on some of my goals.
Last edited by Sandstorm on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

snapdragon

Re: BC v GW v Others

Postby snapdragon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:14 pm

I would pick BC for your goals as stated. I know they edge out W&M in biglaw and I think GW as well. Also their MBA program is the best of the three, and living in Boston is far cheaper than DC.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:27 pm

BC for Boston or New York.
GW for D.C.

Both are great schools

Sandstorm

Postby Sandstorm » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:03 pm

Sounds like even with the 15K I shouldn't be considering W&M? It wasn't as high on my list as the other two, but I wondered if anyone thought some money should push W&M to consideration.

Also, I couldn't make it to BC's open house, but I think I'd like to take a look at both the schools again before I make a decision. Are schools pretty good about giving a tour and setting it up so I can sit in on class?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:10 pm

How are you getting into the MBA program? Are you sure you can backdoor into it? Why didn't you just apply as a JD/MBA instead of just a JD?

Paying almost $300k (current CoA is $75k) to go to GW for a 4 year JD/MBA seems like a poor idea. Paying $250k (current CoA is $60k) at BC for a 4 year JD/MBA also seems like a poor idea.

Even if you didn't do the MBA, BC and GW seem very questionable at sticker ($180k and $220k respectively). I'd retake/reapply for a scholarship at these schools or a better school to pay sticker at.

I doubt your numbers will get Cornell and if you cannot retake/reapply for some reason I guess you should go to GW because you prefer DC.

Sandstorm

Postby Sandstorm » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:29 am

The MBA concept was outside the scope of my questions. I have heard of a couple Cornell and BC students "backdooring" into it. (Though GW is an assumption) (Also, those students could have been exceptions for all I know) Either way I may be fine with getting the MBA after law school. It was simply a plan.

I don't really think sticker at BC or GW is too high. Perhaps based on cost/benefit analysis the numbers would suggest otherwise, but I don't have a problem with paying more money, unless completely outrageous. While perhaps questionable and not the ideal situation, I don't believe they rise to the level of completely outrageous. That said, I could be wrong.

I've taken the lsat twice, the first time cancelling after taking two sections. I'm still an undergraduate. Retaking and reapplying would mean taking a year off from school. Based on possible locations I could stay for a year, finding a job would prove to be an undertaking. (My undergraduate degree doesn't exactly help me in this situation) My practice test average was a 169, over the course of 10-12 tests. I've burnt through the nearly all the practice materials. I find that on the actual test my score will always go down by a point or two. Even if I were able to afford to take a year off and reapply there is no guarantee I could score higher than what I scored already. I might be able to get a 168 or 169. In the end, I don't see reapplication as a viable alternative.

I'm still hoping on Cornell. Not on the logic of my numbers I guess, but on my personal statement and my softs. I'm hoping it gives me what I need to be at least considered. I was student body president, an RA, pre-law society president, mock trial, a senior editor for my school's newspaper, tennis team captain, ranked first in my school's symphony, etc. I also interned extensively at 5 places, a lobbying firm, law firm, white house internship, congressman, mayor's office. I also worked for money at another job all throughout college for about 12 hours a week. I've had a couple papers published, and started an online app business. (I understand just looking at the numbers it seems less than likely, and your probably sitting there thinking that those softs mean little and everyone has some of those things, but I hope it gives me at least a glimpse of boost) My GPA will likely be a 3.72 if my grades remain the way their going, hopefully if i'm still in the running I can submit those as well. (Perhaps, should have toned down the extracircs earlier and focused on that GPA)

Enough about my unqualified illogical hope for Cornell. Are school's pretty good about giving tours and allowing students to sit in on a class on pretty short notice (a week before)?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:37 am

Start studying for June. 10-12 PT's is reasonable but I've easily seen tons of people do 30-60. Take in June and if you go up then retake/reapply (also have to worry about finding a job). If not then don't. It allows you all the benefits of retaking without the risk of having to wait until October.

You think $300k isn't overpaying?

Sandstorm

Postby Sandstorm » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:48 am

bk1 wrote:You think $300k isn't overpaying?

Overpaying? Yes. Acceptable? based on my subjective (easy to be ripped off) viewpoint, possibly.

bk1 wrote:Start studying for June. 10-12 PT's is reasonable but I've easily seen tons of people do 30-60. Take in June and if you go up then retake/reapply (also have to worry about finding a job). If not then don't. It allows you all the benefits of retaking without the risk of having to wait until October.

I took around 40 tests, on timed scoring conditions. The others I ripped problems from here and there. Without a doubt, I have taken in one form or shape every test. My comment concerning the 10-12 PT's, was what my average score was based off. Those 10-12 were the ones I took in about a two month span before I took the lsat. I did take a break for a month or 2, and I took the other 30 before that break. In the end however, I have taken every test.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:49 am

Sandstorm wrote:
bk1 wrote:You think $300k isn't overpaying?

Overpaying? Yes. Acceptable? based on my subjective (easy to be ripped off) viewpoint, possibly.

bk1 wrote:Start studying for June. 10-12 PT's is reasonable but I've easily seen tons of people do 30-60. Take in June and if you go up then retake/reapply (also have to worry about finding a job). If not then don't. It allows you all the benefits of retaking without the risk of having to wait until October.

I took around 40 tests, on timed scoring conditions. The others I ripped problems from here and there. Without a doubt, I have taken in one form or shape every test. My comment concerning the 10-12 PT's, was what my average score was based off. Those 10-12 were the ones I took in about a two month span before I took the lsat. I did take a break for a month or 2, and I took the other 30 before that break. In the end however, I have taken every test.

That's more understandable.

I still think you're nuts for paying $300k.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:40 am

JD/MBA is silly. Get one or the other - if you want to do legal work, get the JD and take some classes at the B school. MBA isn't worth an extra 60k (more once you compound interest). The MBA won't give you a huge advantage in firm hiring, in fact, it can mess up your OCI. To me, JD/MBA is only worth it if you're not paying anything for LS or it was at H/S.

Sandstorm

Postby Sandstorm » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:20 pm

I've updated my original post a little to reflect some additional scholarship information. I plan on going for the MBA whether its a silly idea or not because of my long term interests. The MBA is not something I'm questioning here.

I went to BC to get a tour and sit in on a class. Was not overly impressed but I certainly liked the campus and the students there. I met with financial aid before I left, and I was not only told that I would get nothing in terms of non-loans but I would also have to find my own private loans to cover the additional COA. I know little of financial aid and just wanted them to explain it to me, but the person I got didn't seem to have the time or care. I know Gradplus is supposed to somehow cover COA but she didn't seem to know anything about it when I inquired about it. Overall, leaving BC after that meeting did not leave me with an overly impressive view of the school. Not to say I'm not still considering it, but I will certainly be speaking to someone else at BC with my questions in the future.

I was now put on reserve at Cornell, and have received a 15K/per year scholarship from GW. Should this make me more interested in GW? Any additional thoughts from anyone would be helpful, Thanks!

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:39 pm

Sandstorm wrote:I've updated my original post a little to reflect some additional scholarship information. I plan on going for the MBA whether its a silly idea or not because of my long term interests. The MBA is not something I'm questioning here.

I went to BC to get a tour and sit in on a class. Was not overly impressed but I certainly liked the campus and the students there. I met with financial aid before I left, and I was not only told that I would get nothing in terms of non-loans but I would also have to find my own private loans to cover the additional COA. I know little of financial aid and just wanted them to explain it to me, but the person I got didn't seem to have the time or care. I know Gradplus is supposed to somehow cover COA but she didn't seem to know anything about it when I inquired about it. Overall, leaving BC after that meeting did not leave me with an overly impressive view of the school. Not to say I'm not still considering it, but I will certainly be speaking to someone else at BC with my questions in the future.

I was now put on reserve at Cornell, and have received a 15K/per year scholarship from GW. Should this make me more interested in GW? Any additional thoughts from anyone would be helpful, Thanks!

That's wholly unacceptable. Finaid should've been more on point. Stafford & grad PLUS will cover the total cost of admittance, the sum of tuition, fees, and likely living costs. I think this is around 60k a year at BC. So if you want to take out 80k, you'd have to make up the remaining 20k in alternative/private loans.
With regard to the mba program, you can apply for it during your 2L year without taking the GMAT. I think pretty much everyone gets in, three of my friends (not exactly top 10%) applied and all got accepted.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:54 pm

Sandstorm wrote:I was now put on reserve at Cornell, and have received a 15K/per year scholarship from GW. Should this make me more interested in GW? Any additional thoughts from anyone would be helpful, Thanks!

No. 15k/year puts GW on the same level, cost-wise, as BC (without scholarships, GW's CoA is 75k, BC's CoA is 60k). I still think BC has better job prospects than GW but you should pick whether you prefer DC or Boston.

In either case, my response, regarding the amount of money you are going to spend for a JD/MBA being insane, does not change.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:38 pm

BC for the NY/Boston, GW for DC.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Did you sit in on greenfields con law?

Sandstorm

Postby Sandstorm » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:00 am

tram988 wrote:Did you sit in on greenfields con law?

No, we were supposed to but I guess his class was canceled that day. I sat in on a crim law class instead.

Sandstorm

Postby Sandstorm » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:53 pm

Was notified that I actually received 25K from Boston College. Should I even try to see if GW financial aid will come closer to matching that? I think i've started to like the idea of living in DC again, but has the scholarship from BC at this point made it too good to pass up?

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:01 pm

Sandstorm wrote:
tram988 wrote:Did you sit in on greenfields con law?

No, we were supposed to but I guess his class was canceled that day. I sat in on a crim law class instead.

Haha, I must have been there with you. Lecturing on the common law of accomplices was exhilarating.

Slevin Kelevra 2011

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Sandstorm wrote:Was notified that I actually received 25K from Boston College. Should I even try to see if GW financial aid will come closer to matching that? I think i've started to like the idea of living in DC again, but has the scholarship from BC at this point made it too good to pass up?

BC is better for biglaw and will cost less. Easy decision.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”