Question about Michigan Summer Start Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Question about Michigan Summer Start

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:15 pm

Do law firms allow associates to begin working on January? I'm asking because it's possible to graduate a semester earlier if a person chooses to do a summer start, and also because biglaw firms have very structured hiring practices that might be a little unfriendly to something that's different. Thanks.

AreJay711

Gold

Re: Question about Michigan Summer Start

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:22 pm

Well I'm a summer starter for this May but I asked a few people about it at the alumni reception in DC. They said that if you are very clear, you can find a firm that will let you start in March (after the February bar). IDK how easy or hard to get that is to workout in this era of deferrals but that is what they tell me. I think it can cause some problems if you have an important position on a law review though but it is one of those things that you can work out if you think about it ahead from what I gather.

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:45 pm

Yeah... that's what I thought.

Since much of biglaw employment takes place at 2L OCI, I don't really see how I should "take a semester off" as it says on Michigan's website in order to gain practical legal experience. I also thought about pursuing a master's in philosophy, but I kinda dislike the idea of focusing on anything other than law during law school.

Do internship really even matter that much if you're going for biglaw?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:03 pm

I want to do something that might help my chances for government one semester if I can. It probably won't help for a firm job but I guess it might. You might get more advice if you ask the Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions thread. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=106319

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”