Loyola vs WUSTL Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Danteshek

Gold

Re: Loyola vs WUSTL

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:10 pm

bk187 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
Attorney wrote:Never, ever pay sticker for Loyola.
Says a 0L from Sidney, Australia.
I bet many of the current students on TLS would say the same thing.
Most of whom have no direct experience with Loyola
Last edited by Danteshek on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:12 pm

Danteshek wrote:Most of whom have no direct experience with Loyola
Having almost 1/4 of your graduating class employed part time is all you really need to know.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:14 pm

bk187 wrote:
Having almost 1/4 of your graduating class employed part time is all you really need to know.
where did this # come from? Employment prospects on the TLS article don't look that bad, but they are probably outdated (like everything else on this site)

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:15 pm

bk187 wrote:
Link?

Only 84 percent of the graduating class (more than UCLA) passed the California bar exam. I suppose the 16 percent (and change) are the ones struggling to find work (rightly so).

Btw, Skadden came to talk to us yesterday. One of my colleagues in the Law Review Articles department will be summering there.

And I am moving to DC when I graduate.
Last edited by Danteshek on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:21 pm

Source is the 2009 employment data thread: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=150681

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:23 pm

bk187 wrote:Source is the 2009 employment data thread: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=150681
You do realize that 2009 is the worst of the recession, right?

I really hope you do not make Law Review...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:23 pm

Danteshek wrote:Only 84 percent of the graduating class (more than UCLA) passed the California bar exam. I suppose the 16 percent (and change) are the ones struggling to find work (rightly so).

Btw, Skadden came to talk to us yesterday. One of my colleagues in the Law Review Articles department will be summering there.

You do realize what outliers are, right? Just because some people hit the lottery and got biglaw or got out of LA doesn't mean it is common.

At 9 months, over 30% of the class is either unemployed or working part time. That is just downright atrocious.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:24 pm

Danteshek wrote:
bk187 wrote:Source is the 2009 employment data thread: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=150681
You do realize that 2009 is the worst of the recession, right?

I really hope you do not make Law Review...
And yet the 2010 numbers look worse.

While the 2011 and future numbers will look better, it seems downright foolish to assume that they will be better enough to justify Loyola at sticker when the vast majority of their grads don't make enough to service that debt level.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:26 pm

BK187: Whatever dude. Have fun at WUSTL. Don't complain when Loyola grads hometown you when you want to come back to LA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:27 pm

Danteshek wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Link?

Only 84 percent of the graduating class (more than UCLA) passed the California bar exam. I suppose the 16 percent (and change) are the ones struggling to find work (rightly so).

Not sure what stat Loyola looked at. UCLA had 88% in 2009, and 90% the year before. http://www.law.ucla.edu/prospective-stu ... ofile.aspx

Also, didn't realize bar passage = employment.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:28 pm

Danteshek wrote:BK187: Whatever dude. Have fun at WUSTL. Don't complain when Loyola grads hometown you when you want to come back to LA.
1. I'm not going to WUSTL.

2. I'm not really aiming at LA.

But sick burn anyway I guess. I like that you resort to ad homs the moment you can't refute someone's argument. It shows a lot of class.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:29 pm

Danteshek wrote:BK187: Whatever dude. Have fun at WUSTL. Don't complain when Loyola grads hometown you when you want to come back to LA.
bk isn't OP

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:31 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
bk isn't OP
BK is in at WUSTL, waitlisted at UCLA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:32 pm

Danteshek wrote:BK is in at WUSTL, waitlisted at UCLA.
Yes on the former, no on the latter. But this is completely irrelevant to the conversation.

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:40 pm

bk187 wrote:
nshapkar wrote:When NU says its incoming class has WE, do they mean any kind of work or a specific sector? I've been working in a kitchen past four years.
They generally mean full time post graduate work. Some people think that it applies to office jobs (even entry level) or management blue collar positions, making the argument that something like Starbucks barista may not cut it. I'm not so sure about that. They prefer 2+ (though they let in a chunk of 1 year work exp).

I've been working full time through undergrad at this restaurant. I checked some of their reasoning behind why they want applicants with work experience, and many of the things they said come from work experience I can apply to my job (interpersonal skills, working as a group, etc.)

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:44 pm

bk187 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:BK is in at WUSTL.
But this is completely irrelevant to the conversation.
Of course it is relevant. It goes to credibility. You are obviously biased.

FRE Rule 401. Definition of "Relevant Evidence"

"Relevant evidence" means evidence having any tendency to make the existence of any fact that is of consequence to the determination of the action more probable or less probable than it would be without the evidence.
Last edited by Danteshek on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:44 pm

nshapkar wrote:I've been working full time through undergrad at this restaurant. I checked some of their reasoning behind why they want applicants with work experience, and many of the things they said come from work experience I can apply to my job (interpersonal skills, working as a group, etc.)
I mean understand your reasoning but looking at the numbers it seems like this won't help if you have no postgraduate work exp. Something like only 5% of their incoming class has no work exp and these people usually have numbers far above both medians. Only about 5-10% has a single year, leaving roughly 90% with 2 or more years of work exp. I think the working through undergrad thing might help, but then again it might not. If you have 1 year of postgrad work exp then I think it could help you be in that 5-10% that only has 1 year but I think if you no postgrad work exp and don't have numbers above both medians then you are probably not getting in even while working through undergrad.

I'm not saying it isn't work the app because I think that is one of the possible (though not probable) exceptions they may make as far as work exp goes. But I wouldn't count on it if you have no postgrad work exp.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:45 pm

And the winner is.......

BK187.

Employment stats do not lie, sorry.

Edit: But I'm just a measly 0L from the United States...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:46 pm

Danteshek wrote:No irrelevant at all. You are obviously biased.

FRE Rule 401. Definition of "Relevant Evidence"

"Relevant evidence" means evidence having any tendency to make the existence of any fact that is of consequence to the determination of the action more probable or less probable than it would be without the evidence.
We're all biased. You transferred to Loyola from Southwestern. I got into WUSTL (and am not going). Others are less biased but I think they all probably would have a horse in the WUSTL v Loyola debate.

I'd hazard that your bias is far greater than mine but I don't think that is really that relevant because I think that a reasonable outside of observer can come to conclusion that Loyola Marymount at sticker is a very questionable proposition.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:47 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote: Employment stats do not lie, sorry.
Yes, we all know that law schools only report accurate data.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:50 pm

Danteshek wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:BK is in at WUSTL.
But this is completely irrelevant to the conversation.
Of course it is relevant. It goes to credibility. You are obviously biased.
--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by Cade McNown on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:50 pm

bk187 wrote:I'd hazard that your bias is far greater than mine but I don't think that is really that relevant because I think that a reasonable outside of observer can come to conclusion that Loyola Marymount at sticker is a very questionable proposition.
Whether it is a questionable proposition depends on (1) what your other options are , and (2) your level of confidence.

I transferred to Loyola, made law review, and published an article in the area I hope to practice. I am happy to pay full boat to go to Loyola.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Danteshek wrote:Yes, we all know that law schools only report accurate data.
I don't think they actually lie (except in the case of employing their students for 3 weeks to consider them employed) and aliarrow took the stats directly from USNWR. Aliarrow's breakdown accounts for people who did not report employment info and/or didn't report salary info. There are just certain things you need to see through such as knowing that "Business" is a catchall for things like Starbucks barista.

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:53 pm

don't let these extremely pessimistic people make you move your life to a corn field.
TLS = Talk lots of shit

adt231

Bronze

Post by adt231 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:53 pm

bk187, stop wasting your time with this guy/gal...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”