Columbia worth 200k??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Columbia or WUSTL 135k

Columbia
128
65%
WUSTL
69
35%
 
Total votes: 197

adt231
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Columbia worth 200k??

Postby adt231 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:21 pm

nickwar wrote:I don't care how "interested" he says he is in biglaw. It's not worth $250k+ over a free top-20 degree with a chance (albeit smaller) at biglaw. Ever.


This is just silly. See my post above.

User avatar
bender18
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Columbia worth 200k??

Postby bender18 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:30 pm

There is a key difference here though. Biglaw from WUSTL would be phenomenal. Not only are you making a lot of $$, but you have no huge loans to pay. I know people who were in big law for 3+ years and still have student debt.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Columbia worth 200k??

Postby Hannibal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:39 pm


User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Columbia worth 200k??

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:07 pm

Hannibal wrote:Don't go into biglaw:

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/04/not-worth-it/


FTFY. Spitlaw isn't "worth it" either.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Columbia worth 200k??

Postby keg411 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:08 pm

bender18 wrote:There is a key difference here though. Biglaw from WUSTL would be phenomenal. Not only are you making a lot of $$, but you have no huge loans to pay. I know people who were in big law for 3+ years and still have student debt.


Would that be ideal? Of course. But the chances of that not happening are basically 85-90%.

ETA: I just saw someone linked to that People's Therapist. He is horrible, IMO, and just projects his own failures onto his patients. I do read for the trainwreck value because his articles always seem like he's on the edge of a nervous breakdown :lol:.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Columbia worth 200k??

Postby Hannibal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:10 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Don't go into biglaw:

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/04/not-worth-it/


FTFY. Spitlaw isn't "worth it" either.


Why do you say that? Also, spitlaw = shitlaw I'm assuming.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Columbia worth 200k??

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:24 pm

Hannibal wrote:Why do you say that? Also, spitlaw = shitlaw I'm assuming.


Correct assumption. For some reason I feel like shitlaw is too derogatory of a term to describe someone's career, but I guess spitlaw isn't really any better. Based on a couple of convo's I've had with people that are associates at small law firms, they work long hours doing tedious work as well. It may not be quite as soul crushing, but it still is to an extent.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Columbia worth 200k??

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:32 pm

keg411 wrote:
bender18 wrote:There is a key difference here though. Biglaw from WUSTL would be phenomenal. Not only are you making a lot of $$, but you have no huge loans to pay. I know people who were in big law for 3+ years and still have student debt.


Would that be ideal? Of course. But the chances of that not happening are basically 85-90%.

ETA: I just saw someone linked to that People's Therapist. He is horrible, IMO, and just projects his own failures onto his patients. I do read for the trainwreck value because his articles always seem like he's on the edge of a nervous breakdown :lol:.


Either that guy was really clueless or he needs to stop whining. Yeah, BigLaw is draining. Yeah, BigLaw can suck. Tell me something I didn't already know. He blabbers about how awful it is.

I complain about how LS is a lot of fucking awful work. But I don't blame law school.* I knew :generally: what to expect coming in, and that is what I got. Only person I can blame for getting me into this situation is myself. But for him to blame BigLaw for being "too hard" would be the same as me blaming law school for being to hard. In both cases it would be pathetic whining.

*Note: I will blame schools with manipulating data, money grabbing and not teaching valuable skills. But those awful truths are not related to the difficulty of participating.

théo
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:47 am

Re: Columbia worth 200k??

Postby théo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:29 pm

I voted for WUSTL. When you graduate, you'll have no debt, complete freedom, and a JD from a solid law school. I see no risk and no negatives with this choice.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Columbia worth 200k??

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Robespierre wrote:Yes, Columbia is worth 200K. But that doesn't settle the issue, because a free JD from the #18 law school in the country is also very valuable.

They're both fantastic choices so don't sweat it.

Which is more important to you? Working in NY after graduation (which indicates CLS), or having no debt (which indicates WUSTL)? Go with your gut after visiting.

For me: WUSTL. But that means nothing.

He'd still be taking out 60k in loans for COL.

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Columbia worth 200k??

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:32 pm

théo wrote:I voted for WUSTL. When you graduate, you'll have no debt, complete freedom, and a JD from a solid law school. I see no risk and no negatives with this choice.

what about COL??????

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Columbia worth 200k??

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:33 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
Robespierre wrote:Yes, Columbia is worth 200K. But that doesn't settle the issue, because a free JD from the #18 law school in the country is also very valuable.

They're both fantastic choices so don't sweat it.

Which is more important to you? Working in NY after graduation (which indicates CLS), or having no debt (which indicates WUSTL)? Go with your gut after visiting.

For me: WUSTL. But that means nothing.

He'd still be taking out 60k in loans for COL.


RC fail

flexityflex86
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Columbia worth 200k??

Postby flexityflex86 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:35 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
flexityflex86 wrote:
Robespierre wrote:Yes, Columbia is worth 200K. But that doesn't settle the issue, because a free JD from the #18 law school in the country is also very valuable.

They're both fantastic choices so don't sweat it.

Which is more important to you? Working in NY after graduation (which indicates CLS), or having no debt (which indicates WUSTL)? Go with your gut after visiting.

For me: WUSTL. But that means nothing.

He'd still be taking out 60k in loans for COL.


RC fail

LOL. That always was my worst LSAT section.

I don't know what I'd do then. This is tough. It depends on if OP wants NYC.

théo
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:47 am

Re: Columbia worth 200k??

Postby théo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:46 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
théo wrote:I voted for WUSTL. When you graduate, you'll have no debt, complete freedom, and a JD from a solid law school. I see no risk and no negatives with this choice.

what about COL??????


He said this:

135k at Wash U covers the tuition with some left over, plus since my parents live in St.Louis, I can live with them and will likely graduate with no debt.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 6 guests