Texas ($), Wash U ($$), or Notre Dame ($$)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Texas ($), Wash U ($$), or Notre Dame ($$)?

Texas (7K/year)
10
59%
Wash U (20K/year)
4
24%
Notre Dame (18K/year)
3
18%
 
Total votes: 17

User avatar
kausjon
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:22 pm

Texas ($), Wash U ($$), or Notre Dame ($$)?

Postby kausjon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:00 pm

Currently debating between these three options:

Texas (7K/year)
Wash U (20K/year)
Notre Dame (18K/year)

I have no undergrad debt and roughly 40,000 in savings. I have no strong geographical preference for after-graduation employment ... most concerned with best employment prospects in relation to debt incurred.

Also still waiting on Cornell, and waitlisted at Vanderbilt and Michigan.

Thank you for any advice in advance.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Texas ($), Wash U ($$), or Notre Dame ($$)?

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:52 pm

Texas is a great school if you like the south. If not, I'd probably say WUSTL. It and ND have similar locations as far as placement, but I'd place it slightly higher with the similar scholarships

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Texas ($), Wash U ($$), or Notre Dame ($$)?

Postby stratocophic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:01 am

kausjon wrote:Currently debating between these three options:

Texas (7K/year)
Wash U (20K/year)
Notre Dame (18K/year)

I have no undergrad debt and roughly 40,000 in savings. I have no strong geographical preference for after-graduation employment ... most concerned with best employment prospects in relation to debt incurred.

Also still waiting on Cornell, and waitlisted at Vanderbilt and Michigan.

Thank you for any advice in advance.
Are you in-state for Texas? Basically you have to decide whether ~40k extra debt from UT is worth the better job prospects. I'd probably take it. If you don't think it is, choose between WUSTL and ND based on which one you like better - the negligible difference in debt isn't worth factoring in.

User avatar
kausjon
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:22 pm

Re: Texas ($), Wash U ($$), or Notre Dame ($$)?

Postby kausjon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:52 am

stratocophic wrote:
kausjon wrote:Currently debating between these three options:

Texas (7K/year)
Wash U (20K/year)
Notre Dame (18K/year)

I have no undergrad debt and roughly 40,000 in savings. I have no strong geographical preference for after-graduation employment ... most concerned with best employment prospects in relation to debt incurred.

Also still waiting on Cornell, and waitlisted at Vanderbilt and Michigan.

Thank you for any advice in advance.
Are you in-state for Texas? Basically you have to decide whether ~40k extra debt from UT is worth the better job prospects. I'd probably take it. If you don't think it is, choose between WUSTL and ND based on which one you like better - the negligible difference in debt isn't worth factoring in.

I'm out-of-state for Texas, which is complicating my decision.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Texas ($), Wash U ($$), or Notre Dame ($$)?

Postby stratocophic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:09 am

kausjon wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
kausjon wrote:Currently debating between these three options:

Texas (7K/year)
Wash U (20K/year)
Notre Dame (18K/year)

I have no undergrad debt and roughly 40,000 in savings. I have no strong geographical preference for after-graduation employment ... most concerned with best employment prospects in relation to debt incurred.

Also still waiting on Cornell, and waitlisted at Vanderbilt and Michigan.

Thank you for any advice in advance.
Are you in-state for Texas? Basically you have to decide whether ~40k extra debt from UT is worth the better job prospects. I'd probably take it. If you don't think it is, choose between WUSTL and ND based on which one you like better - the negligible difference in debt isn't worth factoring in.

I'm out-of-state for Texas, which is complicating my decision.
Tough one. Might just be best to pick based on how much you like each school, personal debt aversion, and any minor geographical preferences you have. Also this handy survey may aid you in your decision

Like cities? WUSTL/Tejas.
Like corn? ND.
Love the cold? ND/WUSTL.
Hate the cold? Tejas.
Like football? Tejas/ND.
Like having a reputation for being gangsta due your school's location despite the fact that you are in little actual danger because your school's city has a largely undeserved reputation which is based largely on poorly interpreted statistics? WUSTL.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Texas ($), Wash U ($$), or Notre Dame ($$)?

Postby bartleby » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:09 am

where is it dangerous in st. louis? just wondering - i know the crime rates are crazy. it didn't seem as dangerous/ghetto as memphis, though i only checked out the arch and the casino. drove by SLU though. didn't look too bad.

Slevin Kelevra 2011
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Texas ($), Wash U ($$), or Notre Dame ($$)?

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:07 pm

T14!

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Texas ($), Wash U ($$), or Notre Dame ($$)?

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Texas.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Texas ($), Wash U ($$), or Notre Dame ($$)?

Postby stratocophic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:13 pm

bartleby wrote:where is it dangerous in st. louis? just wondering - i know the crime rates are crazy. it didn't seem as dangerous/ghetto as memphis, though i only checked out the arch and the casino. drove by SLU though. didn't look too bad.
I've heard that all the crime rate stuff for St. Louis only takes into account the metro area because of some kind of weird city/county split thing, whereas most other places have the suburbs diluting their rates. East St. Louis deserves its reputation, and there are a few rough areas a few blocks north of campus. I saw more crime reports when I was in Nashville in a smaller city than I have at WashU, though. SLU's area is definitely rougher than the area around WashU.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], SweetTort and 3 guests