Cost of Attendance Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
FuManChusco

Silver

Cost of Attendance

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:53 pm

I've seen some people complaining lately about how scholly info doesn't help. You need to know cost of attendance. I agree. For most people, going on a school's website and looking up tuition fees and the estimated cost of living (this is what I used) is a bitch /sarcasm, so I put it all in an excel sheet. And by all, I mean Top 50 schools because I'm kind of lazy right now and I want to go eat some Honey Nut Cheerios. You must download this sheet to edit anything. Then just plug your full scholarship amounts into each school and it will calculate your yearly/total cost of attendance. Easy for comparison as well.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CIzj04cE

Disclaimer: All tuitions are Non-Resident! Oh, and BYU assumes non-LDS affiliation. On the right hand side, I have added IS which is in-state. Again for BYU, the IS column is assuming LDS affiliation. Obviously the estimated costs of living aren't perfect. Some seem low. Some seem high. I subtracted 1 time fees and computer costs when I saw them in some vague attempt at uniformity. Hope this helps people. I guess it's somewhat useful. Change the COL estimates if you're living at home or if you have a more reasonable estimation.

here is the open link in which anyone can edit. as aliarrow said in this thread I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this chart due to the ability to edit. if you want to edit the original, click the first link and download it. this was merely for convenience. try to keep it intact I guess.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CNnG_uIJ
Last edited by FuManChusco on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:42 am, edited 5 times in total.

fatduck

Gold

Re: Cost of Attendance

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:59 pm

<3 honey nut cheerios

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Thanks for this.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:04 pm

Thanks for sharing FuManChusco

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:04 pm

Knock wrote:Thanks for this.
yes sir. can someone let me know if they're able to edit it for themselves? I want to leave it like this, but I want people to be able to play with the numbers on their own for things like in-state tuition, living at home, lower COL estimates, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:06 pm

cool beans! I had to download it before I could edit it.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:08 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
yes sir. can someone let me know if they're able to edit it for themselves? I want to leave it like this, but I want people to be able to play with the numbers on their own for things like in-state tuition, living at home, lower COL estimates, etc.
I can probably give you my own experiences - I made the 'loan calculator' you've probably seen before lol.

But it isn't supported on Google Docs to allow everyone to edit it but not save. You can do what I did and just make a public copy which is not protected (and able to be edited by all under sharing settings), and make a duplicate master copy which is protected and only able to be edited by you.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:09 pm

akili wrote:cool beans! I had to download it before I could edit it.
Oh thanks anonymous user 54.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:13 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
akili wrote:cool beans! I had to download it before I could edit it.
Oh thanks anonymous user 54.
Oh crap, did I mess it up for people? I didn't mean to!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:13 pm

aliarrow wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
I can probably give you my own experiences - I made the 'loan calculator' you've probably seen before lol.

But it isn't supported on Google Docs to allow everyone to edit it but not save. You can do what I did and just make a public copy which is not protected (and able to be edited by all under sharing settings), and make a duplicate master copy which is protected and only able to be edited by you.
yeah, I was looking at yours, haha. wait so if I make a public copy, are people able to save their changes? because then it seems rather useless to put it up. I feel like by tomorrow all the numbers would be changed by users.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:15 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
yeah, I was looking at yours, haha. wait so if I make a public copy, are people able to save their changes? because then it seems rather useless to put it up. I feel like by tomorrow all the numbers would be changed by users.
Yeah they'll save over it. I was mostly concerned about someone just erasing the whole thing and putting up "Penis" or something along those lines.
But there's really no way around it to my knowledge, I've even checked some tech forums and they just said it isn't supported. So you can just tell people to download copies and they can have the unprotected copy to play with as a convenience, but you don't guarantee the accuracy of the #s there.

tlslsnlsp

Bronze

Post by tlslsnlsp » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:20 pm

thanks a bunch, this should get stickied or something.

a few quick question for everyone, how do you figure NYU decided their "cost of living" is over 1K cheaper than Columbia's? I thought NYU's location was more expensive than Columbia's.

Also, if I decide to go to UCLA I can live with my family and thus will not have to pay rent... how much of the 25K of UCLA's "cost of living" do you think I can subtract?

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:24 pm

Hey, thanks for this!

Just so you know, UPenn is actually tuition: $50,718 COL: 20542 for a grand total of $71260 this year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:26 pm

sarahlawg wrote:Hey, thanks for this!

Just so you know, UPenn is actually tuition: $50,718 COL: 20542 for a grand total of $71260 this year.
thanks. I'll update costs on the original(first link) if people inform me. I am merely going off the most updated figures on the website.

samsonyte16

New

Post by samsonyte16 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:32 pm

I don't think these numbers are correct. No way NYU is 1k cheaper per year than Harvard. Perhaps student fees/travel allowances/insurance are being added inconsistently?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:35 pm

Why is cost of living so high?

Ex: UVA says 18,000. Rent at most should cost 10,000 with everything. Is the rest based on food, gas, etc?

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:39 pm

Have you considered adding columns for In-state tuition? And another column for the IS total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bearsfan1

Bronze

Post by bearsfan1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:39 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Why is cost of living so high?

Ex: UVA says 18,000. Rent at most should cost 10,000 with everything. Is the rest based on food, gas, etc?
Last time I checked, FOOD would be included in the cost of LIVING. Lol. Sorry. But seriously - think about it.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:40 pm

samsonyte16 wrote:I don't think these numbers are correct. No way NYU is 1k cheaper per year than Harvard. Perhaps student fees/travel allowances/insurance are being added inconsistently?
data pulled from http://www.law.nyu.edu/financialaid/bud ... /index.htm and http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... udget.html

I literally just plugged in tuition and then (total cost - tuition) = cost of living. some schools included a few fees with the tuition, while others didn't. I think most included them in other budget. I didn't meticulously go through checking. it was a rather quick run through of 50+ law school websites.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:41 pm

aliarrow wrote:Have you considered adding columns for In-state tuition? And another column for the IS total.
yeah, I said that in my original post. I wanted some cereal. might do it now.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:42 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
aliarrow wrote:Have you considered adding columns for In-state tuition? And another column for the IS total.
Sorry, I'm a skimmer

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:43 pm

aliarrow wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
Sorry, I'm a skimmer
most are. I am.

tlslsnlsp

Bronze

Post by tlslsnlsp » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:52 pm

interesting to see the lower ranked schools generally do cost less, except hastings - 250K all together. wow. quarter million... even if you get 160K biglaw (maybe 1 out in 5 chance at hastings? less?) that's got to take YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS to pay off.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:00 pm

updating it now with in state and a few fixed numbers. as I said, these are not absolutes, but estimates. don't hold it against me if you go to emory and end up in 300k debt somehow or if you choose wisconsin over ucla because it's cheaper.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:26 pm

new excel sheet available. still only t50, but some numbers changed to reflect new findings/info, and in-state totals available.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”