UVa, Vandy, Cornell, Wustl?!?! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one would you choose?

UVa (no scholarship) at COA around 190,000
31%
Cornell (45k scholarship) at COA around 160,000
32%
Vanderbilt (77k scholarship) at COA around 115,000
31%
Washington Universit (90k scholarship) at COA around 90,000
6%

Total votes: 71

Law Sauce

Silver

Re: UVa, Vandy, Cornell, Wustl?!?!

Post by Law Sauce » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:06 pm

any other voters?

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:44 pm

i had those exact same choices and I went with UVa over Vanderbilt -- I went to vandy undergrad and lived in Missouri my whole life, so it was a really tough choice.

anyway, my two cents is UVa. I love it here and I don't regret it at all. However, it really does depend on how risk-averse you are. Plus, you might fall in love with Nashville (i kind of did).

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:49 pm

drylo wrote:KMaine wrote:
drylo wrote:
Definitely about UVA being a better option than Cornell--if you want to pony up for the prestige factor, then pony up for the prestige factor.

The difference in prestige of the schools is so slight that it is almost insignificant. We are not talking Yale and Cornell here.

Dude, I would say that the difference in prestige between UVA and Cornell is more significant than the difference between Cornell and Vandy. I mean, you can disagree, but at least outside of NYC, I think the majority of the world would agree with me.
Most of TLS would agree with you. "the world" not so much.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:51 pm

KMaine wrote:
drylo wrote:
Definitely about UVA being a better option than Cornell--if you want to pony up for the prestige factor, then pony up for the prestige factor.

The difference in prestige of the schools is so slight that it is almost insignificant. We are not talking Yale and Cornell here.

Dude, I would say that the difference in prestige between UVA and Cornell is more significant than the difference between Cornell and Vandy. I mean, you can disagree, but at least outside of NYC, I think the majority of the world would agree with me.
most of my friends think cornell is a better option than chicago or nyu, so I think you'
you're right

drylo

Bronze

Post by drylo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:09 pm

KMaine wrote:
drylo wrote:

Alright, alright. I wasn't talking about lay people. But either way, I'm done arguing about that. The point is that I agreed with you that the difference between any of these options is not that objectively significant. Hence, it is a tough decision. To the OP, I say go with your gut.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:11 pm

I picked Cornell (75K) over Michigan (45K), and I don't have any regret. I got direct 1L call-backs from top BigLaw firms in the South and the Midwest for the simple reason that I go to Cornell (told by hiring partners, no grades at the time). That's just my personal experience.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:15 pm

violinst wrote:I picked Cornell (75K) over Michigan (45K), and I don't have any regret. I got direct 1L call-backs from top BigLaw firms in the South and the Midwest for the simple reason that I go to Cornell (told by hiring partners, no grades at the time). That's just my personal experience.
you're talking for 1L summer right?

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:28 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
violinst wrote:I picked Cornell (75K) over Michigan (45K), and I don't have any regret. I got direct 1L call-backs from top BigLaw firms in the South and the Midwest for the simple reason that I go to Cornell (told by hiring partners, no grades at the time). That's just my personal experience.
you're talking for 1L summer right?
Yes.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:30 pm

drylo wrote:
KMaine wrote:
drylo wrote:

Alright, alright. I wasn't talking about lay people. But either way, I'm done arguing about that. The point is that I agreed with you that the difference between any of these options is not that objectively significant. Hence, it is a tough decision. To the OP, I say go with your gut.
Agreed. I am not as high on Vandy as alot of people on this thread though I do like the school. For the record, I could choose VA in OP's shoes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”