Is Widener really that bad??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
r6_philly

Re: Is Widener really that bad??

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:27 pm

claudenm wrote:I'm unclear how taking out $100k in loans, plus foregoing $90k in income all with a non zero chance of not being granted bar admission, and a non zero chance of not practicing law is "getting ahead".

I believe, which I am not sure, that you can gain bar admission in DE without having a JD by going through an apprenticeship with a current lawyer. I know plenty of Widener grads - I went to West Chester, which is a big feeder school to Widener and Temple, and I know they have jobs (not high paying) but I wouldn't take out loans to go there.

Someone said it as well, the paralegal program at Widener may actually be better than the law school.

johnnysweet

Postby johnnysweet » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:32 am

what about other options? so far im applying to hofstra, nyls, syracuse, temple, penn state, rutgers, duquense, drexel, and a few others that i have fee waivers for

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:06 am

What is your state of residence?

claudenm

Postby claudenm » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:45 pm

johnnysweet wrote:what about other options? so far im applying to hofstra, nyls, syracuse, temple, penn state, rutgers, duquense, drexel, and a few others that i have fee waivers for

Here's an option: don't go to law school. Do something in a growing industry if you want to go to school. Something medical related. Become a database administrator. Don't take out $100k to get a job that pays you $50k.

johnnysweet

Postby johnnysweet » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:34 am

claudenm wrote:
johnnysweet wrote:what about other options? so far im applying to hofstra, nyls, syracuse, temple, penn state, rutgers, duquense, drexel, and a few others that i have fee waivers for

Here's an option: don't go to law school. Do something in a growing industry if you want to go to school. Something medical related. Become a database administrator. Don't take out $100k to get a job that pays you $50k.

Keep in mind I graduated with my bachelors 7 years ago. If there were something "better" for me I think I would've found it by now.

And my state is PA I live about an hour north of philly

claudenm

Postby claudenm » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:07 am

johnnysweet wrote:
claudenm wrote:

Keep in mind I graduated with my bachelors 7 years ago. If there were something "better" for me I think I would've found it by now.

And my state is PA I live about an hour north of philly

Let me ask you this-- do you know how much a monthly payment on a $100,000 loan is?

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:27 am

Widener will not improve your current station in life. If you are unhappy with where you are now then it essentially equates to just taking a new turn down the same old road.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:30 pm

Take a shot for Temple in-state or Pitt in-state (depending on which side of the state you want to live in)---maybe apply part time---work in your first year---to subsidize your debt and defray some costs while working wherever.

These are huge longshots though---you REALLY should retake---try this summer---the test is a 12.30pm if that helps.

johnnysweet

Postby johnnysweet » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Not to keep beating a dead horse... but what about the fact that it is the only school in harrisburg, or even within a 2hr drive.
I mean it is the capital of one of the nations most populated states

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:15 pm

johnnysweet wrote:Not to keep beating a dead horse... but what about the fact that it is the only school in harrisburg, or even within a 2hr drive.

Most of that population isn't within 1 hour drive of Harrisburg. You are not going to get anywhere in Pittsburgh and Philly with that degree.

My UG actually has a feeder program with the harrisburg campus. I looked at there viewbook last night because I have a friend who wants to go through the program, and there isn't even employment numbers on the viewbook. The website has class of 2009 numbers, and it favors the DE campus. I thought you were talking about the DE campus. I wouldn't go to the PA one and pay money. They give 30% to anyone coming through my UG program and I still think that's a bad deal.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:21 pm

johnnysweet wrote:Not to keep beating a dead horse... but what about the fact that it is the only school in harrisburg, or even within a 2hr drive.

Also, Harrisburg is 80 Miles from Baltimore (U of Baltimore, U of Maryland), 90 miles from PSU, 100 miles from Villanova, 120 miles from Penn, Temple, Drexel, and the other Widener campus.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:25 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Most of that population isn't within 1 hour drive of Harrisburg. You are not going to get anywhere in Pittsburgh and Philly with that degree.

My UG actually has a feeder program with the harrisburg campus. I looked at there viewbook last night because I have a friend who wants to go through the program, and there isn't even employment numbers on the viewbook. The website has class of 2009 numbers, and it favors the DE campus. I thought you were talking about the DE campus. I wouldn't go to the PA one and pay money. They give 30% to anyone coming through my UG program and I still think that's a bad deal.

i have family in DE and widener is renowned for not being up to par

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:32 pm

Stonewall wrote:
i have family in DE and widener is renowned for not being up to par

lol that is true, but DE is generally considered not up to par (no offense intended to your family) so it isn't competitive if you want to work in small general firms and government outside of Wilmington. I think something like half of all DE bar members are Widener grads.

johnnysweet

Postby johnnysweet » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:25 pm

but what im saying is that their must be more opportunities as far as internships and such within the capital city that would be available to WidenerH students that aren't available to others because of accessibility.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:28 pm

johnnysweet wrote:but what im saying is that their must be more opportunities as far as internships and such within the capital city that would be available to WidenerH students that aren't available to others because of accessibility.

Given the way the PA economy and budget situation as is, I wouldn't expect any kind of jobs for the foreseeable future.

Also, you and I both forgot that there is a PSU Law Carlisle campus like 10 miles from the state Capitol.

johnnysweet

Postby johnnysweet » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:32 pm

r6_philly wrote: Also, you and I both forgot that there is a PSU Law Carlisle campus like 10 miles from the state Capitol.

oooohhhh ouch...

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:50 pm

if I were in your position...

1. find out if you can likely pass the bar with your history
2. speak to widener admissions, and similar admissions once you know that you won't have trouble passing the bar (if this is the case), and ask if you would be likely to get money if you reapplied with a stronger lsat score.
3. ask a school like Temple or Pitt how they view your past history. ( you would prolly need a slightly better lsat to get into their part time programs, and way better lsat and early application plus why x essay to get into full time.)
4. if not likely to pass the bar, don't go anywhere. if widener says they are not worried about your past arrests, retake and go for at least a half scholarship. if temple and pitt says they might consider you, retake and apply there to possibly gain some additonal options.
5. if nothing changes, accept it, just realize that you very well could not be making much money for some time, but then again it could very well be the complete opposite.

johnnysweet

Postby johnnysweet » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:28 pm

seriously???? wrote:if I were in your position...

2. speak to widener admissions, and similar admissions once you know that you won't have trouble passing the bar (if this is the case), and ask if you would be likely to get money if you reapplied with a stronger lsat score.
3. ask a school like Temple or Pitt how they view your past history. ( you would prolly need a slightly better lsat to get into their part time programs, and way better lsat and early application plus why x essay to get into full time.)
4. if not likely to pass the bar, don't go anywhere. if widener says they are not worried about your past arrests, retake and go for at least a half scholarship. if temple and pitt says they might consider you, retake and apply there to possibly gain some additonal options.
5. if nothing changes, accept it, just realize that you very well could not be making much money for some time, but then again it could very well be the complete opposite.

cool thanks for the advice. as for #2 i think they will give me some money Im just not sure how much. Cooley already offered me 50% (158= 57%) and I didn't even apply there

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:46 pm

consider applying there

claudenm

Postby claudenm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:18 pm

johnnysweet wrote:

cool thanks for the advice. as for #2 i think they will give me some money Im just not sure how much. Cooley already offered me 50% (158= 57%) and I didn't even apply there

You should go to Cooley. It's a great school. You'll do great there.

johnnysweet

Postby johnnysweet » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:32 pm

claudenm wrote:
johnnysweet wrote:

You should go to Cooley. It's a great school. You'll do great there.

do I detect sarcasm??

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:52 pm

im not being sarcastic...people say shit about all schools outside the t14, what people that goto t1's and t2's don't realize is that they too are underdogs finding a successful career...
as long as you know that you are the underdog and understand the risks involved go for it

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:29 am

Ran into a friend today who is a recent Widener grad (DE) and works in a small practice, doing well. You can do well out of T4 schools, the odds are just longer, so be careful with debt. That's all.

introversional

Postby introversional » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:Ran into a friend today who is a recent Widener grad (DE) and works in a small practice, doing well. You can do well out of T4 schools, the odds are just longer, so be careful with debt. That's all.

Can you define "doing well" so we're all on the same page here?

1. 50-75k
2. 75-100k
3. 100-125k
4. 125k-150k
5. 150k+

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:03 pm

introversional wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Ran into a friend today who is a recent Widener grad (DE) and works in a small practice, doing well. You can do well out of T4 schools, the odds are just longer, so be careful with debt. That's all.

Can you define "doing well" so we're all on the same page here?

1. 50-75k
2. 75-100k
3. 100-125k
4. 125k-150k
5. 150k+

between 2-3-4. I don't know for sure since I don't ask everyone how much they make. But we share the same expensive hobby and I think you need at least 2/3 to be able to fund it and still have a place in center city. I was actually quite impressed, for someone 2 years out.

Considering what kind of job prospect a Widener 0L would typically have, I think it's a win.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”