Anyone ever been a college basketball manager in college...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MGH1989

Anyone ever been a college basketball manager in college...

Postby MGH1989 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:08 pm

Just a thought, but I've tossed around the idea of being a college basketball manager in law school. First, I don't even know how plausible it is given the workload in law school, or even if being a manager is exclusive to undergrads. However I think it would be a great way to build connections and relationships for someone as myself who has some interest in parlaying a law degree to a career in sports, be it as an agent or with a franchise. So my question is has anyone on TLS been one or know someone who was one and can give some insight on the matter.

spets

Re: Anyone ever been a college basketball manager in college...

Postby spets » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:15 pm

I had a friend who did it for undergrad and it's a huge time sink. He had to be there for every practice as well as travel with the team to every away game. He was compensated with free room/board/meal plan and enjoyed perks like free gear, but from the sounds of it, I doubt you would be able to juggle that position and law school's workload, especially considering you'd most likely be missing a lot of class for away/home games and even practices.
Last edited by spets on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MGH1989

Postby MGH1989 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:31 pm

spets wrote:I had a friend who did it for undergrad (University of South Carolina), and it's a huge time sink. He had to be there for every practice as well as travel with the team to every away game. He was compensated with free room/board/meal plan and enjoyed perks like free gear, but from the sounds of it, I doubt you would be able to juggle that position and law school's workload, especially considering you'd most likely be missing a lot of class for away/home games and even practices.

Yea, thats what I figured. Maybe its something that could be done getting a masters prior to law school If I felt strongly that it would be beneficial to me, but yea the time commitment would be insane, but it would be fun just as a basketball fan being in that atmosphere.

BigOrange23

Postby BigOrange23 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:34 pm

I did it here at Tennessee ... No way you could do it in law school if it's a big time program.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:37 pm

is this really going to be that helpful? pretty sure college basketball players want someone who's an agent now, not someone who's thinking about becoming an agent in the future.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:39 pm

terrible idea, just saying.

MGH1989

Postby MGH1989 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:58 pm

fatduck wrote:is this really going to be that helpful? pretty sure college basketball players want someone who's an agent now, not someone who's thinking about becoming an agent in the future.

Its better than not knowing anyone, plus I don't really see it as trying to get current players on the roster to represent, but getting an in w/ the coaches and players who stay connected with the program and can put in a good word. Thats the way Drew Rosenhaus did it (not as a manager), he befriended lots of the Miami football players.

MGH1989

Postby MGH1989 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:01 pm

Sandro wrote:terrible idea, just saying.

I get that a lot.

TT09

Postby TT09 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:05 pm

MGH1989 wrote:

I get that a lot.

I love the idea; of course, I've thought about it myself more than once. And it is possible; however, I'm not sure exactly how much so. Come to think of it, the only guy I can think of who did this was Jay Bilas (Duke B.A., Duke J.D.), and I believe he was actually an assistant coach.

MGH1989

Postby MGH1989 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:12 pm

TT09 wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:

I get that a lot.

I love the idea; of course, I've thought about it myself more than once. And it is possible; however, I'm not sure exactly how much so. Come to think of it, the only guy I can think of who did this was Jay Bilas (Duke B.A., Duke J.D.), and I believe he was actually an assistant coach.

yea, he was an assistant, I am also pretty sure former Duke guard Quinn Snyder was an assistant at Duke while getting a JD/MBA.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:15 pm

MGH1989 wrote:
fatduck wrote:is this really going to be that helpful? pretty sure college basketball players want someone who's an agent now, not someone who's thinking about becoming an agent in the future.

Its better than not knowing anyone, plus I don't really see it as trying to get current players on the roster to represent, but getting an in w/ the coaches and players who stay connected with the program and can put in a good word. Thats the way Drew Rosenhaus did it (not as a manager), he befriended lots of the Miami football players.

I would think befriending them outside of practice would be easier and more effective. If the players are any good im sure agencies will recruit them vs the ball boy who just graduated ..... this whole thing reminds me of international law.

thedive

Postby thedive » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:33 pm

Sandro wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:

I would think befriending them outside of practice would be easier and more effective. If the players are any good im sure agencies will recruit them vs the ball boy who just graduated ..... this whole thing reminds me of international law.

It would also depend on what program you are at. There are many D1 programs that are lucky to get players drafted to the NBA. Now if you are at a place like Duke, Texas, etc. and you could establish a long term friendship with the players maybe...but still a stretch because there will be agencies left and right trying to snatch them up. It's a good idea in theory but the time you spend doesn't seem to be worth it. There also seems to be a lot of players going to places like Europe these days. I'm not sure how that works as to who they select to be an agent. Why not try to intern at a agency if possible? I'm sure that is a pretty tough spot to land but it'd be a good starting point.

MGH1989

Postby MGH1989 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:48 pm

Sandro wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:

All it takes is one and the first one is the hardest, but once you get one client you can start building credibility. Ive read up on this quiet a bit, and time after time the two ways people got started in the industry is because they knew someone (most of the time the potential client themselves) or because they interned at an agency and worked their way up (which is a lot harder and takes a lot more time). Also, its wouldn't have to be the star player of a big time program like Kansas, Carolina, Duke, UCLA, I agree those guys are expected to sign w/ big time agencies, but just getting the sixth man on that team who has a decent enough chance to land on a roster, but might not be getting hounded by agents for his representation could get your foot in the door and help build a client list. Also, befriending them in a non manager role would be easier, but I don't think it would be as intimate in terms of a basketball level, if that makes sense.

MGH1989

Postby MGH1989 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:54 pm

thedive wrote:
Sandro wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:

It would also depend on what program you are at. There are many D1 programs that are lucky to get players drafted to the NBA. Now if you are at a place like Duke, Texas, etc. and you could establish a long term friendship with the players maybe...but still a stretch because there will be agencies left and right trying to snatch them up. It's a good idea in theory but the time you spend doesn't seem to be worth it. There also seems to be a lot of players going to places like Europe these days. I'm not sure how that works as to who they select to be an agent. Why not try to intern at a agency if possible? I'm sure that is a pretty tough spot to land but it'd be a good starting point.

Yea, if this was done it would have to be at at least a D1 program that has some sort of consistency in producing NBA players, no really point in doing it if you go to a school like Emory, Washington and Lee, Washington U, etc. As far as Europe goes, it really isn't any different, lots of NBA agents represent Euro players as well, at least the ones that are from this country and can't make it in the NBA. I also will intern w/ an agency at some point, its really hard to get a gig w/ the big ones like CAA or IMG, but there are a lot of "boutique" agencies out there who have a small client list, but offer better chances to intern.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”