Need some helpin pickin a school... future USMC JAG

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
trayball23

Need some helpin pickin a school... future USMC JAG

Postby trayball23 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:22 pm

I have read a ton on this site and there have been a lot of great incites and the general rules I have seen for making a decision seem to be.

1. Choose the best school you get into
2. if outside top 14 or so consider the region you want to practice in.
3. Within your top choices consider you debt load.

I have been accepted into the US Marine Corps Law program. For this reason I really don't have a region I will be working in and it is hard for me to consider what kind of law I will want to practice after 4 years in the corps. What other things should I be considering in this decision?

miami 24k/y
PSU 20k/y
case 25k/y
villanova 20k/y
baylor 15k/y
SDU 21k/y
Arz 14k/y

FSU
American
OSU
Utah

W/L
Notre Dame
Wake
Emory

sundance95

Re: Need some helpin pickin a school... future USMC JAG

Postby sundance95 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:26 pm

bearsfan1

Postby bearsfan1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:32 pm

trayball23 wrote:I have read a ton on this site and there have been a lot of great incites and the general rules I have seen for making a decision seem to be.

1. Choose the best school you get into
2. if outside top 14 or so consider the region you want to practice in.
3. Within your top choices consider you debt load.

I have been accepted into the US Marine Corps Law program. For this reason I really don't have a region I will be working in and it is hard for me to consider what kind of law I will want to practice after 4 years in the corps. What other things should I be considering in this decision?

miami 24k/y
PSU 20k/y
case 25k/y
villanova 20k/y
baylor 15k/y
SDU 21k/y
Arz 14k/y

FSU
American
OSU
Utah

W/L
Notre Dame
Wake
Emory

Not to hijack your thread, but how does the USMC jag program work? Specifically, what do you do before attending law school - training requirements, etc? Also, do they pay you for law school? When do you attend TBS? And do you also attend OCS?

esq

Postby esq » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:33 pm

Especially if you are already accepted into JAG, they could really give a shit where you go for law school as long as it is ABA accredited - this from a friend that has been in AF JAG for quite some time now. Just keep your debt down and your grades up. And JAG will have you do a little bit of everything, moving you around from time to time, so it is not very important to try and specialize for it. You will figure out what you really like to do, most likely, while you are in the Corps.

Edit: And what Sundance said remains credited.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”