non traditional student with criminal record

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
johnnysweet
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:33 pm

non traditional student with criminal record

Postby johnnysweet » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi
I was wondering how much do you think that a criminal record will affect my chances of getting into law school?
I'm 30 now and I graduated with my bachelors in 2004.
Nothing really bad or violent or anything, just a lot of stupid things. Mainly retail theft as a minor, a pot possession, a DUI(expunged), a public drunkeness that (dropped), 2 escape charges (both dropped), and a couple underage drinking and disorderly conducts.
The last offence was the DUI back in 10/2004.
How bad do you think these will hurt my chances? And does this add to the argument that I should just settle for a T3/T4?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: non traditional student with criminal record

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:19 pm

you're probably fine, unless the escape charges mean you escaped from prison, in which case :shock: . your numbers will be way more important. the fact that this shit happened 6+ years ago will help. write a good addendum showing you've changed your ways.

User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: non traditional student with criminal record

Postby pixytree » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:51 pm

Just make sure you disclose all of it, even if it was expunged, in your addendum.

User avatar
taxnstuff
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:39 am

Re: non traditional student with criminal record

Postby taxnstuff » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:55 pm

I would do a hell of a job on the addendum explaining things, how you learned from it, drugs are bad, etc.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: non traditional student with criminal record

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:08 pm

With approximately 10 criminal charges, a 2.7 GPA & an 157 LSAT, less selective law schools are likely to be your only realistic option.

User avatar
Magnolia
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: non traditional student with criminal record

Postby Magnolia » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:11 pm

You should also check with the bar of the state(s) in which you plan to practice to make sure those charges won't be a problem for C&F.

User avatar
MGH1989
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: non traditional student with criminal record

Postby MGH1989 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:27 pm

No clue, but its really a moot point, from what I've been told you should be forthright on matters such as these, but I doubt it would be that big of a problem, as they are minor incidences (relatively speaking).

johnnysweet
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Re: non traditional student with criminal record

Postby johnnysweet » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:09 pm

hey wolf i see you've seen both my threads...
so, the way i figure it, my three choices are (in order of preference) Hofstra, Syracuse, Widener

if i can get in anywhere else ie. temple, penn state, rutgers, etc. i would go there but i don't think i have a shot even if i bring up my LSAT.

are there any other schools in the area that i have a shot at?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: non traditional student with criminal record

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:16 pm

johnnysweet wrote:hey wolf i see you've seen both my threads...
so, the way i figure it, my three choices are (in order of preference) Hofstra, Syracuse, Widener

if i can get in anywhere else ie. temple, penn state, rutgers, etc. i would go there but i don't think i have a shot even if i bring up my LSAT.

are there any other schools in the area that i have a shot at?


If you have some major life experiences, you can try the "holistic" app approach at Rutgers-Newark and also check the MSP box (you don't have to be a URM; you can be white as long as you can write a convincing statement).

Based on LSN, you would need the following LSAT's for the other schools you list (provided you disclose everything from your past and can prove you can change)
Temple (164)
Penn State (160)
Rutgers Newark (160-163; not sure - but again they have the alternate review option)
Rutgers Camden (159 PT-163 FT; they are more lenient for PT, which includes just taking one summer class and then going FT)

Whether or not these schools are worth full debt is another story; but I'm not going to address that.

johnnysweet
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Re: non traditional student with criminal record

Postby johnnysweet » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:43 pm

see... full debt does not bother me
i make about 30k now, the most i can hope to make with my company in the next 10 years is around 40k. so if i can graduate law school making 40k and going up then I am ahead of the game. I am used to living poor and for me I would rather live poor and work in a law office then live poor and bust my ass everyday out in the cold.

User avatar
BrianGriffintheDog
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:14 am

Re: non traditional student with criminal record

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:49 pm

johnnysweet wrote:see... full debt does not bother me
i make about 30k now, the most i can hope to make with my company in the next 10 years is around 40k. so if i can graduate law school making 40k and going up then I am ahead of the game. I am used to living poor and for me I would rather live poor and work in a law office then live poor and bust my ass everyday out in the cold.


If this is the case, why don't you consider lowering standards a bit more. Try aiming for T3s that will give you scholarships. Among the schools you listed, chances are you'll end up w. 200k+ debt. Even if you don't consider the potential effects of a full sticker, you could be making less than you are now with debt payments on a monthly basis.

johnnysweet
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Re: non traditional student with criminal record

Postby johnnysweet » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:59 pm

BrianGriffintheDog wrote:
johnnysweet wrote:see... full debt does not bother me
i make about 30k now, the most i can hope to make with my company in the next 10 years is around 40k. so if i can graduate law school making 40k and going up then I am ahead of the game. I am used to living poor and for me I would rather live poor and work in a law office then live poor and bust my ass everyday out in the cold.


If this is the case, why don't you consider lowering standards a bit more. Try aiming for T3s that will give you scholarships. Among the schools you listed, chances are you'll end up w. 200k+ debt. Even if you don't consider the potential effects of a full sticker, you could be making less than you are now with debt payments on a monthly basis.



I thought that Widener (Harrisburg) was one of these schools. Can you suggest some I would gladly apply to them

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: non traditional student with criminal record

Postby Pricer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:31 pm

johnnysweet wrote:
BrianGriffintheDog wrote:
johnnysweet wrote:see... full debt does not bother me
i make about 30k now, the most i can hope to make with my company in the next 10 years is around 40k. so if i can graduate law school making 40k and going up then I am ahead of the game. I am used to living poor and for me I would rather live poor and work in a law office then live poor and bust my ass everyday out in the cold.


If this is the case, why don't you consider lowering standards a bit more. Try aiming for T3s that will give you scholarships. Among the schools you listed, chances are you'll end up w. 200k+ debt. Even if you don't consider the potential effects of a full sticker, you could be making less than you are now with debt payments on a monthly basis.



I thought that Widener (Harrisburg) was one of these schools. Can you suggest some I would gladly apply to them


http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/

Type in your numbers. Any you are strong consider at, you have a chance of some money. Any you are admit at means you should definitely get money.

johnnysweet
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Re: non traditional student with criminal record

Postby johnnysweet » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:47 pm

Awesome resource thank you so much!!

I got a strong consider from widener

I saw a lot of admits from florida, and other areas down south which is where I would love to go to law school, but I want to work in the north east because that is where the money is.

I mean if I go to one of these schools that I get an "admit" at and I can go cheap thats great, but how am i going to be better off if i graduate and im making less money anyway.

obviously I would love to spend 3 years in the sunshine, but the average pay down there is way below what it is up here so wouldn't i still be better off paying a little more and staying in the North East?

johnnysweet
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Re: non traditional student with criminal record

Postby johnnysweet » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:15 pm

Pricer wrote:
johnnysweet wrote:
BrianGriffintheDog wrote:
johnnysweet wrote:see... full debt does not bother me
i make about 30k now, the most i can hope to make with my company in the next 10 years is around 40k. so if i can graduate law school making 40k and going up then I am ahead of the game. I am used to living poor and for me I would rather live poor and work in a law office then live poor and bust my ass everyday out in the cold.


If this is the case, why don't you consider lowering standards a bit more. Try aiming for T3s that will give you scholarships. Among the schools you listed, chances are you'll end up w. 200k+ debt. Even if you don't consider the potential effects of a full sticker, you could be making less than you are now with debt payments on a monthly basis.



I thought that Widener (Harrisburg) was one of these schools. Can you suggest some I would gladly apply to them


http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/

Type in your numbers. Any you are strong consider at, you have a chance of some money. Any you are admit at means you should definitely get money.



I got a "strong consider" at widener
and an "admit" at HOFSTRA!




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest